Dynoed my Stock 98 GTS

V

venms96

"This is what you get from a daily driver with minimum maintenance".

Cool Post Bolt, I back you for being honest and up front about it all. You're not overly concerned with a GTS that wasn't babied all it's life, and put down some low numbers. Your car is a little tired right now, big deal, you know you bought it to Mod it out, so, have fun with that project.

Nice pics of the Rock Crawler by the way !!

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about my post earlier....My cars battery had just died on me and left me stranded in the middle of a four way and i was desperatly thinking of trading in my 99 rt 10 for a 2003 srt 10....

but Im over that now and will tell you why I feel so strongly about the dyno numbers...

Like many of you I dreamed of one day owning a viper..i took baby steps...

Starting off with a 160 rwhp V6 camaro that I supercharged to a whopping 217 rwhp...

Then next was a 299 rwhp C5 that I modded to 378 rwhp..My goal when I bought the C5 was to have 400 rwhp. But after 4 grand in mods and still only a wimpy 378 rwhp ( by todays standards) I knew a change was needed.

WHY SPEND ANOTHER 1000 BUCKS for some headers just to hit 400 rwhp when you can now buy bone stock corvettes and bone stock mustangs that can dyno 450 rwhp???

But then I thought why spend 45 grand on a lowly mustang or 70 grand on just another vette to get in 400's when you can go buy a Used 70-80 grand gen 2 Viper that will put me in the 400 rwhp range for only 38-55 grand depending on the year and condition...

Every one told me that 410 rwhp was an average dyno for a gen 2 Viper...Still a little off from 450 rwhp for the C6z06 or GT500...But close enough and much nicer looking..

But then I read your post expecting to see 400 plus rwhp and BAM!!!!!

385 rwhp??????? Thats like 7 more rwhp than my modded C5 put down...So while it seems like I was being childish saying that I would sell the Viper if I dynoed that. Im actually telling the 100% truth. To me bone stock dyno numbers mean more than any modded numbers...

F body's dyno 300 rwhp and weigh 3400 pounds...good eatin
C5's dyno 300 rwhp and weigh 3270 pounds..taste like chicken
02 Z06's dyno 350 rwhp and weigh 3170 pounds..good eatin
05 GTO's dyno 345 rwhp and weigh 3800 pounds..good eatin
03 cobras dyno 370 rwhp and weigh 3750 pounds.. good eatin
05 SRT8's dyno 370 rwhp and weigh 3900 pounds..good eatin
06 GT500's dyno 450 rwhp and weigh 3800 pounds good eatin
05 CTSV dyno 350 rwhp and weigh 3700 pounds...good eatin

06 C6Z06 dyno's 450 rwhp and weigh 3150 pounds...DAMM
03 SRT 10 dynos 440 rwhp and weighs 3390 pounds..DAMM
FORD GT.......DDDAAAMMMMMMM

But this was all asmming that my rt10 weighs 3390 pounds like my registration states and that it dynos 410 rwhp like what I thought was average...

Your 385 rwhp dyno just really through me off guard..with a weight of 3450 pounds for the GTS and a dyno of only 385 rwhp a 2002 z06 weighing 3150 pounds and dynoing 350 rwhp would be a serious competitor.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"This is what you get from a daily driver with minimum maintenance".

Cool Post Bolt, I back you for being honest and up front about it all. You're not overly concerned with a GTS that wasn't babied all it's life, and put down some low numbers. Your car is a little tired right now, big deal, you know you bought it to Mod it out, so, have fun with that project.

Nice pics of the Rock Crawler by the way !!

venms96
1996 GTS
SDMF !

Thank you! You will have to stop by when I start tearing this down.

Bolt

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change your plugs & wires (stock wires aren't good after x number of miles, plus age), clean your filters if you have K&Ns, and run a tank of gas with B&G 44K fuel injector cleaner before you dyno. You'll probably pick up 40 or more rear wheel HP. 98s are pretty strong bone stock.

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '99RT10 with only Borla catback and Roe smooth tube/K&N filter combo put down 416RWHP and 456RWTQ. Are the '96-97 GEN 2 cars typically stronger than the '98-up Vipers?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96/97's are the strongest GenII's, period.

I will say, that THE strongest stock viper ever documented was actually a 2001 or 2002. I remember the post, and it was given credentials by Janni/Henry Cone, who was there on the dyno run.

But that was a rare exception, but enough to render Inferno's statement invalid.

Jon

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I will say, that THE strongest stock viper ever documented was actually a 2001 or 2002. I remember the post, and it was given credentials by Janni/Henry Cone, who was there on the dyno run.

But that was a rare exception, but enough to render Inferno's statement invalid.

Jon

I only said that because now I own one, whatever I have is the best. It's all a moot point when you drive like a little girl.....like jon. :buttkick:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

I only said that because now I own one, whatever I have is the best. It's all a moot point when you drive like a little girl.....like jon. :buttkick:

lol. I knew you were being a your typical stupid self, but I wanted to show you were wrong, once again.

And driving like a little girl huh? How about you let this little girl turn you into the be-atch we both know you are. What viper/car event would you like me to out drive you at? (not much of a challenge, could be easily done w/ a hang over). :bonker:

Jon

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

Come on now! 2001 or 2002, they routinely dyno at 410 with headers/exhuast/filters. If one popped out a '96-'98 dyno number, that would be due to some other factor. Gotta Be! :D

Personally, I've owned a '97, '98 and '01, and my Butt Dyno showed the '01 to be the weakest! :p

Jon, how's the SC Coupe treating you?
And if you've posted it and I missed it, what kind of numbers is it putting down?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on now! 2001 or 2002, they routinely dyno at 410 with headers/exhuast/filters. If one popped out a '96-'98 dyno number, that would be due to some other factor. Gotta Be! :D

Personally, I've owned a '97, '98 and '01, and my Butt Dyno showed the '01 to be the weakest! :p

Jon, how's the SC Coupe treating you?
And if you've posted it and I missed it, what kind of numbers is it putting down?

lol, you mean they routinetly do that STOCK. But yeah, its very shocking but a VCA member at a Dyno day, beat out all other stock Vipers that day, and even some modded ones, and Janni posted and everyone was in AWE. Completely stock, and the guy apparently just really broke it in right. JANNI.. WHERE IS THE LINK?

The S/C rocks, I still hate paxton (due to kaboom on gen 2), and my dyno numbers were done on a mustang dyno, and I remember they equated to 735hp at the crank. Nothing crazy, but plenty good for me !!

Jon

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I just dynoed my 01 RT/10 stock, with smooth tubes but stock filters and European (restrictive) muffler: 380.7RWHP corrected.
Thats also my baseline to evaluate mods.
http://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict1041ba4.jpg

Ewwww. Very weak numbers. Looks like the Viper surrendered once it got to *** Paris :) ..Is this DC's French Edition of the Viper? Wonder if it will be a collectable.. :D