Earliest Mention and Drawing of Viper Concept?

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting mention of the Viper before there was a prototype made. It was only a 2" x 2" mention under FYI. I found this picture of the Viper in my old Car and Driver Magazine from '89. I saved this magazine because it was the first test drive the new 300ZX that I wanted and eventually brought one 5 years later. Little did I know then that fourteen years later from seeing the concept drawing of the Viper that I would actually be an owner. Funny thing is that the orginal Viper was drawn up almost 17 years ago and many people still think my GTS is a current design. :2tu:

8593Early_Viper-med.jpg

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Eariest Mention and Drawing of Viper Concept?

cant say i have ever seen the word "ballyhooed" used in a sentence before. :D

i love the line - "this roadster would be a real screamer". boy did that prediction ever come true!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chrysler. Windshield is different. Cut outs for fog lamps is larger. No side exhaust. Basic wheels. Rear pillar is different. Overall shapes for todays car is similar, but many details have been worked out. An interesting piece of history you have there.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

awesome find BTW, thanks for sharing. i will add that to the registry tonight. :2tu:

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wow, nice find!! thats truly a keeper

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Great stuff indeed....

I saw a Japanese cartoon on this website, made before the Viper came out, that showed a funny looking car that bore a striking resemblance to the GTS. The license plate also said something like "GTS" on it, or something to that effect, that tipped the hat to the fact that it was knwon what car they were sketching for the cartoon.

Again, the really strange thing about it is, it was made well before the debut of the GTS, and it was a Japanese cartoon, no less.