Early Pictures of Paolo Catesllano's DIY TT for Gen II Cars

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early Pictures of Paolo Catesllano\'s DIY TT for Gen II Cars

Hello,

These are some earlies of the DIY TT for Gen. II cars that requires no Cutting and is a true bolt on kit. More information about this kit can be found here:

DIY TT Available Soon Thread

and

DIY Front Mount TT Details Thread

Cheers,

Jay K.

1122PI5Send7_2_.Jpg

1122PI5Send4_10_.Jpg

1122PI5Send6_2_.Jpg

1122PI5Send5_6_.Jpg

1122PI5Send2_17_.Jpg

1122PI5Send3_12_.Jpg

1122PI5Send1_31_.Jpg

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Early Pictures of Paolo Catesllano\'s DIY TT for Gen II Cars

Are the turbo's located under what appears to be heat reflextive material???

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im no TT expert but those foil wrapped things look horrible. or is it my uNtrained eyes ? ? ?

and a little powdercoating would help.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im no TT expert but those foil wrapped things look horrible. or is it my uNtrained eyes ? ? ?

Jiffy Pop.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are the turbo's located under what appears to be heat reflextive material???

Simms, the compressor inlets are directly below the airbox. The exhaust(turbine housings) are under the heat shielding.

im no TT expert but those foil wrapped things look horrible. Or is it my untrained eyes ? ? ?

and a little powdercoating would help.

Plumcrazy, That is a certain type of heat shield wrapping that keeps the heat in the pipes feeding the exhaust gases into the turbos.

It is largely a matter of personal preference as to what is visually appealing. Some people like the futuristic silver space program-looking heat blankets and some do not. I can understand your thinking it looks funny to have aluminum foil all over everything, but maybe a personal viewing would give you a better look to really see it and how it works.

Thermodynamically, the kinetic energy of the heat retained inside the pipes by the heat shielding assists the gas flow to spool the turbos.

The turbo heat shields keeping the heat INSIDE of the pipes(from radiating outwards) Helps minimize radiant heat transfer that can heat soak the engine compartment.

I can tell you my car's engine compartment with all the heat shielding was actually cooler than when it was stock form.

The heat shielding blankets/wrap does a much better job than the ceramic coatings mainly because it is much thicker than the .005-.015 thicknesses of the ceramic coatings with which I am familiar.

The other benefit of the heat blankets and wraps is the fact that there is an air gap between the actual pipe and the insulation material which allows for better heat retention.

Air is an excellent insulator aiding to keep in the heat.

That is just some heat shielding I had laying around from my project. It will not necessarily be the final choice for what we use for every bolt-on system.

We might do something different all together.

I just posted some pictures as a courtesy for some potential customers who asked.

Please keep in mind this is by no means the final product.

I have not yet gotten a chance to mirror polish or powdercoat the compressor housings. It will be done according to the specifications required by the customer.

I can assure you the finished product will be very impressive and clean looking when you open the hood.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

""I can understand your thinking it looks funny to have aluminum foil all over everything, but maybe a personal viewing would give you a better look to really see it and how it works""...I hear ya.

id like to see more pics of the product when its done and on the street.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, what about using Jet hot coating and stainless shields (like motorcycles used to have when the exhasut ran up high)

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The pricing makes it interesting for me.

MAYBE the wraped foil looks horrible for some, but it works.

I would rather prefer this than a coating...

-much cheaper (ok, to me it does'nt really look bad)

-easy to replace (no need to remove parts like when you need to apply new ceramic coating)

The Airgap between Turbocharger and Foil also works as insulation.

I am looking foward to Paolos results. :2tu:
NASA-Look under your hood in combination with rocketlike speed. ;)

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paola, could the housings etc. be Jet-Hot coated and still keep enough heat down?

Congrats on getting this up and running!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paolo, could the housings etc. be Jet-Hot coated and still keep enough heat down?

Congrats on getting this up and running!

Ian, I definitely think they could be ceramic coated and keep the heat down. I just think the heat shielding will do a much better job because it is much thicker than the .005-.015 thick ceramic coatings out there.

If I were to use ceramic coatings, I would use Swain coating. Dan Swain is one heck of a nice guy. I wanted to have the headers on my car coated, but I was deathly afraid to lose them in shipping! :2tu:

How's your car coming?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The pricing makes it interesting for me.

MAYBE the wraped foil looks horrible for some, but it works.

I would rather prefer this than a coating...

-much cheaper (ok, to me it does'nt really look bad)

-easy to replace (no need to remove parts like when you need to apply new ceramic coating)

The Airgap between Turbocharger and Foil also works as insulation.

I am looking foward to Paolos results. :2tu:
NASA-Look under your hood in combination with rocketlike speed. ;)

Viperama, finally someone who is familiar with how the insulation blankets work!

You get the Buck Rodgers award! Here's to shooting to be light years ahead of the competition! :2tu: :headbang:

MikeDaMechanic

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like the Reynolds Aluminum Wrap Edition Turbo Kit... :D

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How's your car coming?

Gary Almond should be picking it up this week if his schedule allows him. I'll give you all the details when I get it back. Larry does awesome work!

When is your engine build going to be done? Can't wait to see your results.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, but will this help it idle at 750rpm instead of 1500 when its over 90F ambient?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How's your car coming?

Gary Almond should be picking it up this week if his schedule allows him. I'll give you all the details when I get it back. Larry does awesome work!

When is your engine build going to be done? Can't wait to see your results.

Simms, I am working on it. No exact time frame yet!

I cannot wait to see what you've got! Good luck and keep me posted!

MikeDaMechanic

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hot Pipe Turbo System? I guess it must be for the guys with deeeep wallets, cause lord knows what terrible heat does to an engine under boost.. Wonder why the Buicks went Intercooled after they used their "hotpipe" setup? To each their own I guess....

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hot Pipe Turbo System? I guess it must be for the guys with deeeep wallets, cause lord knows what terrible heat does to an engine under boost.. Wonder why the Buicks went Intercooled after they used their "hotpipe" setup? To each their own I guess....

Mike, the twin screw blowers run 5-6 PSI nonintercooled all the time.

You can read my details thread to gain a better insight as to how the larger exhaust housings of our T-04 based system's efficiency and cold air intake combine to make this a very attractive option for the guys who DO NOT want to cut the core support on their cars to put on an intercooler.

Here's the link:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB24&Number=551727&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

A quick and easy $350.00 water/methanol injection kit would be more than enough to address any concerns you might have. That way the car still does not get cut and the air charge is further cooled to your satisfaction...... :2tu:

We will definitely log the air intake temperatures and I will keep you posted!