Easy Way To Lower Weight

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do most of you guys care when most aren't pushing the limits of the car? Are you guys actually tracking your cars? I know what 100lbs equates too in a 1/4 mile, but no clue on road racing things. Just seems people are focusing on these things for no reason other than saying they did it. Which is fine, just find it odd.

yeh maybe you're right, these guys probably could care less about going faster and saving brakes:lmao:

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race seats are more of a pain for street driving ingress/egress but really shine when you start pushing the car hard. The best seat is the one you never think about while driving. The stock seats IMO are some of the best all-pupose factory seats ever put in a car, but they still aren't ideal for hard cornering. My left leg gets murdered just below the knee from the sharp curve under the door speaker from bracing myself, after just a few autocross runs.

IMO the bigger performance benefit of seats is in improved driver comfort and focus, than weight reduction.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock Viper seats are pretty amazing for what they provide. Compare them to the floppy junk in a Vette, and you will find a new appreciation.

Think the idea is to suggest weight savings that would be appropriate for the current car that could be an OEM price/performance value, and still desirable for the non racing customers.

Think the best option is to make extra weight easily removable for racers. Vipers still need to be sturdy enough to provide a significant measure of safety to customers when our right foot writes a check that the drivers capabilities can't cash.

Viper already has addressed the weight issue, but when you are hauling around a massive V10, its transmission, drive train, huge wheels and tires, and creature comforts, it ain't gonna be a featherweight.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do most of you guys care when most aren't pushing the limits of the car? Are you guys actually tracking your cars? I know what 100lbs equates too in a 1/4 mile, but no clue on road racing things. Just seems people are focusing on these things for no reason other than saying they did it. Which is fine, just find it odd.

I agree to a point... I know most joke about it but seriously... most of us can lose 10-50 pounds. Believe it or not, being in better shape can improve your driving skills. That's a better place to start. Also don't know why people that care about performance also want bigger and bigger wheels. That's unnecessary added weight.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vegas, which tillett seat did you use and how much of a hassle was it to install?

i bought the full carbon seats with the non slip inserts, I don't recall the part /model #. UR did the install.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh maybe you're right, these guys probably could care less about going faster and saving brakes:lmao:

Take the passenger seat out of your car and see how much of a difference in makes in performance. I know the difference in drag racing, that's why I asked about road racing. If you're not doing either one of the two, I see this as being pointless. On the street, it's not going to matter.

I'm all about lighter flywheels, lighter wheels, brakes and so on. When you get into creature comforts, I think it's a bit much if not a true performance car. If you LIKE the feel of the lighter seats, by all means, go for it. I just wouldn't compromise that if you're not pushing it.

Of course, if you want to go faster, put turbo's on it :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

To each his own.

I have well over 700rwhp with the Roe sc and about 150rwhp if I use the Nitrous Oxide kit in my Viper. Doesn't mean I have to drag race it. I road raced an found that the biggest improvement might be a longer throttle pedal movement as 'easing into the throttle' isn't very easy. I have done a lot of work to my car and continue to perfect it. If a guy wants to save 40# by using lightweight seats - go for it. Whether he uses that car on the race track of just uses it to DODGE cars and trucks running over him in his beautiful car - goo for him.

Lighweight seats and Motons maybe for racing, but they may also be that slight advantage that allowed his car to make the corner in the Mountains without crashing. Don't kid yourself, the most dangerous place to drive is on the STREETS.

Besides, those uncomfortable lightweight seats may get the owner a 1st place trophy at a "Classic Car Show" one day.

Ted

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also owned a Lotus for 3 years and found its fixed back seat quite comfortable, the newer Exige seat may even fit the Viper as the interior of the Lotus is just as cramp. Here's the dimension of a replacement racing seat for the Lotus and the base is only 18" and wings 20"

You must be registered for see images

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to give the promod guys that raced at my track lip all the time. They have to be as light as possible, yet they'll be 40lbs overweight themselves. Nothing funnier than seeing a guy spend 1000's of dollars for the newest titanium, but won't diet and lose 30-40lbs :).

Of course, I have a vested interest in the weight loss community, so I'm always pushing for that.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own.

I have well over 700rwhp with the Roe sc and about 150rwhp if I use the Nitrous Oxide kit in my Viper. Doesn't mean I have to drag race it. I road raced an found that the biggest improvement might be a longer throttle pedal movement as 'easing into the throttle' isn't very easy. I have done a lot of work to my car and continue to perfect it. If a guy wants to save 40# by using lightweight seats - go for it. Whether he uses that car on the race track of just uses it to DODGE cars and trucks running over him in his beautiful car - goo for him.

Lighweight seats and Motons maybe for racing, but they may also be that slight advantage that allowed his car to make the corner in the Mountains without crashing. Don't kid yourself, the most dangerous place to drive is on the STREETS.

But Ted,
you already have the personal weight advantage over most of us. What do you weigh? 160 lbs.? That's already starting 40-140 lbs. better than most of us.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there are numerous areas to save weight but it depends on what people are willing to give up and live with. You can easily save weight by using carbon fiber for the trunk, hood, and top if we are talking about the coupe. I'm not sure how much savings it would yield but you could also use carbon fiber for the air filter housing and shroud. As stated earlier, seats could be replaced with seats that use a carbon fiber shell. As is shown by having the ******** package for the ACRs, you can also have the A/C delete as well as using lighter wheels.

Dodge could offer all of the above as factory options and thus let the future owner truly choose the options that he/she wants in their car. If you are a ******** racer you could thus make your car more track friendly. If you are buying the car for a street car then you could make it more daily driver friendly. This would in itself make the possibility of each Viper being more unique.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where is the spare tire on the viper:dunno::D

In the trunk where nearly all spare tires are. As I said earlier it actually comes with an aluminium rim and a "emergency use only". I've never seen a used Viper spare tire and even the one I sold from my 98 GRS still had the 'nubs' on it.

Of course the Gen3 and 4s didn't get a spare tire, they got TPMS and a 12V airpump. I'd guess that probably saved about 5# and $150?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But Ted,
you already have the personal weight advantage over most of us. What do you weigh? 160 lbs.? That's already starting 40-140 lbs. better than most of us.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well you didn't seem any bigger a Truck Driver than me Ron?

Down at Hells Gate this summer with Trevor and Terri Cameron (TNT) of Edmonton. We all look about the same size? I'm about 165# since I quit smokin'. Used to be 155# but I just take less shoes when we go somewhere to save that extra few pounds.

Ted