Ebay experience?

Lemon_Twist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad just purchased a real nice 9,700 mile B/W car on ebay off the original owner. Seems like a great place to shop/sell. Can't beat it for customer traffic.

Rod

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought two cars off of Ebay both 100% satisfied. Bought my 2004 Viper last year and recently a 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK350.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought both my ACRs there. sold about 12 cars there over the past 6 yrs.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 2002 off ebay. Use the reserve feature to find what price point your car will hit with the general bargain seeking public. It'll probably sell for no more than $5k more than what they are willing to pay.

a66cobra1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ebay is great and I highly recommend it. However, I will say that if you do sell anything (of major importance) and it does not have a warranty, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND making a statement in the auction similar to this or to the affect of this:

** The vehicle is available for inspection prior to bidding by appointment. Viewing and physical inspection are strongly recommended to avoid any misunderstandings. Email or call to arrange viewing appointments at your convenience.

** Shipping cost can only be estimated at the time of the auction. Prices vary due to fuel cost and supply and demand.

** All sales are final. Buyer is purchasing this vehicle AS IS with no warranties other than those listed above. Seller specifically disclaims the warranty of merchantability. NO WARRANTY WRITTEN OR IMPLIED. Buyer has had the opportunity to view and inspect the vehicle and ask any and all questions prior to sale.

** This transaction is governed by XXXXXXX State law.

** Any disputes related to this transaction will be handled by binding arbitration under the rules of the American Arbitration Association in XXXXXXX County, XXXXXXX State.

Ebay law suits are on the rise against persons whom do not list a warranty position and there are **** BUYERS out there that will target your Ebay sale and file a lawsuit against you if you have not clearly specified as listed above.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have probably bought (and sold) a dozen cars on Ebay, maybe more.. The biggest aspects to Ebay are: Great (not just good) pictures, and lots of them. And pricing the car "right". The price high, work low strategy wont work on Ebay. You only have 7 days to catch peoples eyes. And if the car is overpriced, it will be overlooked.. Look at what other Rt's are being listed for AND sold for, to make sure yours is competitive.

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ebay is great for buying cars but **** if you're trying to sell one. Nearly everybody bargain hunts on Ebay and if the prospective buyer doesn't feel like he(she) is stealing it, they won't buy. Just my experience for the last 8 1/2 years on Ebay. I personally have bought 5 cars off of Ebay in the last few years and I got every one of them for a steal! :headbang:
Never tried to sell one on Ebay but after observing auctions of Vipers in the last couple of years, most are not selling for what they should be, or at least not at what I would be willing to let some of them go for.

OP
OP
P

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, exactly what i was looking for.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amongst over 200 other items bought and sold through EBay, I sold an '05 Roush Mustang to a guy in Switzerland, a 2000 WS6 TA to a guy in SC, and bought my '03 SRT-10 from a guy in Buffalo, NY. All but 1 of my 200+ transactions went without a hitch...and the 3 vehicles were all bought and sold without seeing them in person first. I lucked out.

Agree with everyone's inputs so far, but I'd also like to add that it appears a majority of the time, if you have a reserve price or starting price near what you'd sell it for (to avoid the reserve price fee), you'll have a harder time selling it. People tend to shop on Ebay to get things cheap. I've even seen identical items of one seller sold for more then someone else's item that had a reserve and BIN for less! I believe part of this is that they were able to start bidding low and when there's competition, they worry about losing the sale. Having a title available when you buy or sell DEFINITELY makes the transaction a LOT smoother.

ALSO, and MOST IMPORTANT...wait to bid till the last minute if you are buying! Time it perfectly with the clock on your computer. Figure out your max bid ahead of time and bid right during the last 15-20 seconds so that someone else (even friends of the seller) don't have time to outbid you and jack up the price! I've lost bids because of this and won a lot more items because of it as well! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang