EBC Green pads look a lot smaller than the OEM

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am just changing them and I notice a big difference in the contact face size, over and above the fact the pads have a pyramid shape. The well worn existing ones, which appear to be OEM, have some meat left and the contact patch is maybe 20% greater than the EBC pads would be at their lowest possible point. That is maybe why they also fit cars like ALpha Romeos and Thunderbirds.
Is this why the greens don't have quite the stopping power of the OEM pads? Are the EBC blues physically bigger than the greens in addition to being a different compound?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They should be identical in size and shape. Sounds like you got the wrong pads.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is just the rears that are smaller Randy. The fronts look the same size. They do say Viper on the box but I will email Jon at Partsrack anyhow. Thks

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is just the rears that are smaller Randy. The fronts look the same size. They do say Viper on the box but I will email Jon at Partsrack anyhow. Thks
Hmmmm. I replaced my rear pads with EBC greens on my previous Viper about 6 years ago, and I don't recall them being a different size. However, they have reportedly changed the EBC Greens quite a bit since then (and not for the better, according to all those people saying they don't stop better than stock, since the ones that I bought in '98 definitely do stop better than stock). So, perhaps I'm wrong, although I don't know why they'd want to go to less surface area.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear pads are tiny compared to front pads.
Ridiculously tiny - even when not chamfered. Praise to Tom for the 40mm calipers.

Data point - the Porterfield R4S which is a totally clean pad is not chamfered so you get the whole shape for contact.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
True - like 1/2 the size. I interpreted his comments to say that his replacement EBC green *rear* pads were a lots smaller than the OEM *rear* pads, not rear versus front. Did I interpret it incorrectly?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ran at Viperdays and to pass tech I had to remove my EBC greens and replace with a better pad. Everyone at the track told me the EBC greens are junk. I had installed them due to "no dust" I had no idea they were also "no stop". I guess if all you do is shine your car and go to shows, I guess they are OK, but if you drive your car hard or track it get real brake pads.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
True - like 1/2 the size. I interpreted his comments to say that his replacement EBC green *rear* pads were a lots smaller than the OEM *rear* pads, not rear versus front. Did I interpret it incorrectly?

No you are correct Randy. The EBC rears are noticably smaller than the OEM. I will see how they feel. I do not often brake the car extremely hard so if I just get a better bite than before the swap I will probably be satisfied and the rotor turning alone should do that. When the greens are done, hopefully their softer compound will not require that the rotors be turned again.
Compared to my Z06 the braking is the least impressive thing about the car though, so if I had it to do all over again I would might have stepped up to the Reds for the extra $40.00 anyhow.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ran at Viperdays and to pass tech I had to remove my EBC greens and replace with a better pad. Everyone at the track told me the EBC greens are junk. I had installed them due to "no dust" I had no idea they were also "no stop". I guess if all you do is shine your car and go to shows, I guess they are OK, but if you drive your car hard or track it get real brake pads.

Steve, was that 1/4 mile or track?

I have greens and no problem stopping whatsoever..... But thats 1/4 mile and street driving, no track stuff.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put greens on mine... streetwise, it seems fine, although I do notice when braking hard, I feel a little vibration/scratching... is this normal or part of the break-in process? An answer would be very appreciated in case this is a safety issue.

The stock pads were driving me crazy... just squeeeeal, squeeeeal ,squeeeeal... it was embarrassing! The dust sucked too, but not as bad as the squealing.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Compared to my Z06 the braking is the least impressive thing about the car though, so if I had it to do all over again I would might have stepped up to the Reds for the extra $40.00 anyhow.
Red's are actually *less* grippy at normal street temperatures - the advantage to Red's is a higher temperature range than Green's; suitable for light track work or extremely spirited (read: probably illegal) street work. I've used EBC Yellows on the track, and they are a bit scary initially on the street until you warm them up, but they are quite good on the track, albeit perhaps not as good as the Porterfield or other track pads.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put greens on mine... streetwise, it seems fine, although I do notice when braking hard, I feel a little vibration/scratching... is this normal or part of the break-in process? An answer would be very appreciated in case this is a safety issue.
I don't recall feeling that with EBC Greens, and I've gone through three sets of them. The vibration would imply a rotor warp, the scratching I don't have an explanation for.
The stock pads were driving me crazy... just squeeeeal, squeeeeal ,squeeeeal... it was embarrassing! The dust sucked too, but not as bad as the squealing.
This last set of Green's is the first set I've had squeal on me at all - and only a very slight, very high, not too loud squeal, when the brakes are warm. Of course, this is the first set I've had on a Gen II, but Gen I and Gen II brakes (pre 2001) are identical, so I can't explain the difference, except perhaps that these Greens were about 5 years old when I put them on two years ago.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had problems with transfer of the pad material, onto the rotor. Some hard braking would work it out.

416IMG_1606-med.JPG

416IMG_1612-med.JPG

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had problems with transfer of the pad material, onto the rotor. Some hard braking would work it out.

416IMG_1606-med.JPG

416IMG_1612-med.JPG
Makes sense... my rotors are slotted, but the oem pads didn't have the same problem.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's weird is my OEM pads squeal ALOT, becaue they are new. The usual story, once they warm up, they squeal less.

One weird think I noticed however, is after taking it to a road coarse, the squeal is hardly noticeable anymore...even on regular street driving. I'm completely stumped. Do OEMs come with a break-in layer too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang