EBC Greens.......Good or Bad

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As this question seems to re-surface frequently, maybe we need a well done, side-by-side type comparison study of OEM pads and EBC Greenstuff pads in which MEASURED STOPPING DISTANCES are the yardstick and not "feel", lap times, or colorful anecdotes. There are several ways to go about this, but it will be more interesting if the engineers chime in here. There may be University engineering schools out there that might tackle this as an elective project for senior ME classes if others cannot contribute objective data. Just an idea...

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line is that EBC greens are rated 7.8 on the Barton-Elliot scale for stopping power and stock pads are 8.2. Not a difference that most can perceive in a street application. :usa:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line is that EBC greens are rated 7.8 on the Barton-Elliot scale for stopping power and stock pads are 8.2. Not a difference that most can perceive in a street application. :usa:

Not sure how big a difference of .4 is on the scale, but I would venture to bet that if someone drove two Vipers, one with stock and one with EBC's... it would not be tough to distinguish the two :)

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At what temperature. The EBC Greens are awful when cold. The first cold temp stop is not a confidence builder as you think you will need to put your foot through the floor to get it to stop. I will not use them again. I want maximum stopping power, regardless of the dust.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can honestly tell you that in the 5 years that I've owned my viper, I have NOT been able to fully trust the brakes ever since I put EBC greens on.

Now I _did_ take them off... and I _did_ upgrade the fronts to stoptechs. and i trust those a bit more. but i still do not have full confidence in the brake system on this car.

stoptechs + brakeman 3's on the street is screetchy but pretty good for stopping. nice bias. the EBCs themselves scared the crap out of me. and i don't scare easily.

just my .02...

JD

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Pretty good previous post. It seems to me that key to using the EBC Greens is to install them on new rotors or to scuff the heck out of the old rotors prior to install. Also proper bedding (per the manufacturers specs) of ALL brake pads can make a big difference.

If EBC greens are not the answer - What is the answer to less dust and no squeel?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ithink it's very simple. Living among a large population of Whitetail Deer, I need all the stopping power I can get. Hence, I put the Incyte rear piston mods (to balance F/R) on my RT and Brakeman 3's all around. Now it stops almost as well as my old Vette.

You cannot underestimate the importance of being able to stop!

End of discussion...

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have cross-drilled and slotted rotors with Greenstuff you'll be fine for average street/strip driving,and have least dust.
If you road coarse it and run it ******* streets you there's many more comobs for ya.Keep in mind for a big noticeable change in brakes you need rotors,ss lines, calipers,ect.
I sacrifice and use the greens because I can't stand the dust!
Check out ROTOPROS.com a great looking replacement rotor I just picked up for $250.Delivered.There on e-bay but call Richard direct he'll save you more cash!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get occasional wheel lock-up with them, but I don't know that it is any different from standard pads, as I have used EBCs for so long (~50k miles). I find that to be a tad bit scary of an experience, because I feel the car is not going to stop in time. Road conditions *may* be a factor in some of those lock-ups. My first set of EBCs still had a bit of the groove left after 30k, but I changed them at that point, so they have some lasting power in that regard.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Again...." Shelby3, can you tell me a little more about the Barton-Elliot scale ? "...or, any one else???

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Installed New EBC rotors (drilled and slotted) and EBC Green pads, work fine for normal driving and the every now and then street joy ride, which happens here in NY almost every week wih the local snakes.

In fact with only 2 weeks old made 90 degree rt from about 125 where several others had to break, fade and then keep going straight, I wasn't about to miss the diner we were heading toward !! :2tu:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed New EBC rotors (drilled and slotted) and EBC Green pads, work fine for normal driving and the every now and then street joy ride, which happens here in NY almost every week wih the local snakes.

In fact with only 2 weeks old made 90 degree rt from about 125 where several others had to break, fade and then keep going straight, I wasn't about to miss the diner we were heading toward !! :2tu:

125mph through a 90 degree right? You should be racing professionally ;)

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had them on my viper and loved them no issues stopping and little dust.

So I installed them along with stoptech rotors on my lincoln navigator. and it stops the beast with no problems.
the only thing i did notice on the Navi was when cold they dont stop as well as when warm.
And no more dust.. the Navi wheels were always dirty.
just my 2 cent

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21