Edelbrock headers/exhaust

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am looking at buying a 97 GTS that has the edelbrock headers (and exhaust according to the dealer). first, are the edelbrock headers decent? i have not heard anything about them and could not find any old posts about them. second, does edelbrock make a cat back exhaust system for the Viper? i could not find anything on their webiste.

Andy
will have a GTS within the week if all goes well

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditto 1bad ^^

Nothing wrong with those headers, but I'm not sure about the exhaust. I don't think Edelbrock makes a exhaust for the Viper
confused.gif

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edelbrocks are a very good header for the money. Both in looks and performance. 97gts Edelbrock headers,hiflo cats,borla exhaust. 441rwhp, 480rwtq. Tubes and filters

OP
OP
A

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the info. go figure the car was sold before i could make an offer. the good news is i found another GTS and got to it first! will be shipped to me next week. has the corsa 3" cat back exhaust so i have a decent starting place anyway. i'm sure i'll be asking more questions once i have it.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand. Both the Borla and B&B headers can be had for less than $1500 from several vendors. How is Edelbrok "cheap" at $2000???

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWoodbury:
Edelbrok "cheap" at $2000???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck no! And on their website they say some cutting and welding is required.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Heck no! And on their website they say some cutting and welding is required.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what I was confused about, and...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Edelbrocks bolt right in.There is NO CUTTING OR WELDING at all.They can EASILY be bought for 1500.00.Call Mike Adams,Zaino Canada.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I needed to know! Thanks!

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,
What kind of welding do they need. Just welding the pipe to the cats (a good idea anyways) or actual frame cutting/welding? I don't think they incorporate a flex pipe do they?
thanks
Jeff

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, why doesn't your e-mail address work?
I need to discuss some old time bussiness with you.

/JP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Cragin:
Heres the scoop on Edelbrock Headers. I approached them many years ago to build a header for the Viper. I worked closely with the R and D dept to develop them. They are a decent header for 1993-1999
models only (wont work on 2000+).They make good midrange power on a stock motor and good peak hp on modified engines. They are smog
legal and do require welding. They are not the best header out
there but the fact that they fit well and are smog legal is a plus.

Dan cragin
The Viper Shop
310 925 9579

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with a 97 Viper owner this weekend and he said they come with a flex pipe and fit right in with no welding. Cost about $1,400. Coated inside and out.

Sure would like to get the straight facts.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUSCUCLA1:
Would anyone prefer/recommend them over belanger?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The individual I spoke with recommends them over Belanger.

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the Edelbrock website they have the headers listed as follows:
Viper - all models: 92-00 / 8.0L / V10 / B,F,K - PN#6606

Important Footnotes:

(B) Requires cutting and welding for installation.
(F) 409 stainless steel with ceramic coating inside and out.
(K) #6700 heat shields recommended.

C.A.R.B. Executive Order Numbers for 50-State Emissions Legal Status
E.O. #D-215-31 1992-97 Dodge 8.0L Viper.
E.O. #D-215-40 1994-99 Dodge 8.0L Viper.

Where I shop for pontiac and now maybe some viper parts soon:
http://store.summitracing.com/landing_index.asp?v=EDL

"EDL-6606 Dodge: 1992 1/2-1999 8.0L V10 Ram 1500-3500, stainless steel, Tubular Exhaust System $1,499.95"

"EDL-6700 Heat Shields Dodge Viper $246.39" Out of stock

Funny how they don't list the headers also with "viper", they might sell a few more that way.

I would just like to know what the cutting and welding is done on? Exhaust pipes? That would be ok then.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a set of Edelbrocks a couple of weeks ago on my GTS. The only welding involved is at the elbow to cat connection. You could use clamps but welding is the best way to go. The fit and finish is very good. Something not mentioned in the instructions is that the left O2 sensor wires need to be re-routed so that it's long enough. The installation instructions can be viewed on their website.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting I just called Jegs.com p/n 350-6606 and they said $1499 and yes it's for a Viper, same as Summit.

A little more searching and I found Borla headers for $1,179 summit.com p/n BOR-17113 -&gt; T-304 STAINLESS STEEL slip-fit racing 1-5/8" (Off-Hwy only) Product Type HEADER (does not meet emissions requirements for street use)

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any 2001 viper with Edelbrock ? IFLYVIPER the headers for you 2001 ACR?? if Yes....then Dan Cragin :1993-1999 models only (wont work on 2000+)??? i was going 2 buy them for my 2001 viper so please help! thanks