Eldelbrook Headers for a 2000 GTS

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I put Edelbrocks on, because they are the only ones legally certified for use in California. I didnt want to have illegal headers, just legit stuff that I dont have to worry about.

Dan Cragin + Co had my car on the Dyno Pack, both before the Edelbrocks, and after. It had 535 rwhp, and 560 rwtq, before the installation of the headers. I've got Striker Heads and cam, and Corsa cat-back only, at this point. And old gas, + wrong plugs....but I digress!

Now there is a slight variation here, in that the Edelbrock collector is 3", and the Corsa cat-back is 3", but there was an area of 2.5" restriction in the middle, near the cats. So Dan fabricated some 3" rings, along with V-band clamps, (+ put on new stock cats), to remove the tight spots. So now I'm all 3", from the headers, out the back.

Then he dyno'd it again, and we ended up with nearly 578 rwhp, and 589 rwtq.

The Edelbrocks were responsible for most of that increase, but the new cats helped, so did the removal of the 2.5" restrictions. Your results may vary!

If I had it to do over again, I would have shaved the heads, and gone with 11 to 1 compression, instead of the casual stock compression.

The Edelbrocks look like works of art, fit perfectly. They even have the CARB EO # stamped right on them, so the Dudley-Do Rights in the People's Republic of Kalifornia dont get their ******* in a bunch.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put Edelbrocks on, because they are the only ones legally certified for use in California. I didnt want to have illegal headers, just legit stuff that I dont have to worry about.

Dan Cragin + Co had my car on the Dyno Pack, both before the Edelbrocks, and after. It had 535 rwhp, and 560 rwtq, before the installation of the headers. I've got Striker Heads and cam, and Corsa cat-back only, at this point. And old gas, + wrong plugs....but I digress!

Now there is a slight variation here, in that the Edelbrock collector is 3", and the Corsa cat-back is 3", but there was an area of 2.5" restriction in the middle, near the cats. So Dan fabricated some 3" rings, along with V-band clamps, (+ put on new stock cats), to remove the tight spots. So now I'm all 3", from the headers, out the back.

Then he dyno'd it again, and we ended up with nearly 578 rwhp, and 589 rwtq.

The Edelbrocks were responsible for most of that increase, but the new cats helped, so did the removal of the 2.5" restrictions. Your results may vary!

If I had it to do over again, I would have shaved the heads, and gone with 11 to 1 compression, instead of the casual stock compression.

The Edelbrocks look like works of art, fit perfectly. They even have the CARB EO # stamped right on them, so the Dudley-Do Rights in the People's Republic of Kalifornia dont get their ******* in a bunch.

43 horsepower to the wheels from edlebrock headers????? :omg:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
43 horsepower to the wheels from edlebrock headers????? :omg:

ineedaviper, youneedtoreread his post. The hp gain is from a combined package of:

-> new cats

-> larger pipe diameter in sill area

-> headers

The actual contribution of the headers may be in the 20 hp range, with which a modded engine like that might be typical. So might the rest of that number be attributed to the new cats if they were high miles or plugged or whatever.

Back away from the espresso machine. Back away from the espresso machine. Back away from...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
ineedaviper,
The old cats may have been plugged up a bit, plus I had the wrong plugs, (they were too short, putting the flamefront back in the threadhole), and gas that was several months old. Correcting those issues, plus the removal of the 2.5" restrictions in the exhaust, and new cats, all in conjunction with the addition of the Edelbrocks, should put the power gain in perspective.

I'd guess that all things being equal, the headers alone might make a 20hp increase on an unmodified engine, but I dont have any empirical evidence to make that determination. (That means I have no freeking clue!)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After reading all the threads here and running stock tube manifolds on my 98 GTS (600rwhp/644rwtq), then going with TNTs on my second Roe GTS (720rwhp) I'd have to make an educated guess that 15hp for headers only on stock. Edlebrocks are good, but not exceptional. Completely stock there are Belanger 5>2>1 headers with pickles that would pick up about the same hp while making much more hp and torque through the middle rpm ranges. I bought a set of Belanger 5>2>1 headers for my 98GTS and Sean Roe told me to removed the "pickles" or be prepared to LOSE 20 rwhp. After torching out the pickles to reduce restriction I bought the new Viper and it came with 1 3/4" TNTs. Too much work to change over so I've left the TNTs on the car.

BB makes some special headers with high efficiency collectors that probably make a few hp better as well. I paid the same price for my 'slightly used' Belangers as what Edelbrocks would have cost me new.

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS fully modded pump gas STOCK HEAD CASTINGS Edelbrocks (Stock Tires ran 11.2 at 131.5 .AGAINST my engine builders advice(THOUGHT IT ALL TO BE BS) spent over 8 grand on Mopar Street Strip heads (FULLY PORTED ,FLOWED ECT) Bellanger headers car ran 11.2 at 131.7 . Other than blowing gaskets out those EDELBROCKS worked great for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456