Eliminate low speed bucking gen2?

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello Everyone

On my RT/10-95 I did the Throttle Cable Synchronization and its worked, but how to do It on my GTS with just one throttle cable and a axle between the throttles?

And what should the engine rpm be at idle? Mine are around 500rpm? Its that to low? The engine will almost die everytime I stop for a traffic light or something.

rgds

Tomas

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tomas,
mine did the same thing after changing the battery, the car was "relearning" and acted similar.

Also, recently, it flashed "check engine" and would stall at idle.

I bought the ROE code reader, cleared the codes, and it has been perfect since.

mine idles around 550.

also might want to check for a loose vacuum hoses.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how to fix the occassional low speed bucking problem. I just push the clutch in and start over or shift to 2nd. It's never really been too troublesome for me.

That being said, I recently had a funny idle problem and a little intermittent stalling. It was the battery. Also, the marker on the tach which looks to be 500 RPM---is not. A VEC2 idle log shows that a needle width below this mark is about 700 RPM---which, I think, is normal.

Steve

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine idles at 500 RPM. No stalling or other issues. If yours is stalling, you've got something wrong. Vacuum leak? Plugs or wires?

Bucking is somewhat normal. Feather the clutch and rev it. And don't drive slow. :cool:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is an adjustment screw on the pass. throttle body linkage. You can adjust w/ the screw. Just make sure the drivers side starts to open first.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is an adjustment screw on the pass. throttle body linkage. You can adjust w/ the screw. Just make sure the drivers side starts to open first.

This will adjust the idle, but I don't think it will change the low speed bucking at all. Upping the idle with that screw will alter the TPS signal to the PCM. If you set the idle up, you should reset the TPS. You don't want to be less than 3.5v at WOT. 3.8v or 3.9v is better. Easy to do.

Steve

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a post about the idle dropping when stopping before. Someone said to spray both throttle bodys down with O2 sensor safe cleaner. Do a search on that. I've got the same problem, glad you reminded me of it.
Todd

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a post about the idle dropping when stopping before. Someone said to spray both throttle bodys down with O2 sensor safe cleaner. Do a search on that. I've got the same problem, glad you reminded me of it.
Todd

Clean the carbon buildup from the IAC (Idle Air Control) and throttle bodies with a good cleaner. Should fix your problem. Be careful not to damage or loose the O ring in the IAC.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve:

You cannot adjust the idle, the PCM controls the idle speed. The notch that appears to be 500 rpm is actually 750. If you put a scan tool on the car you will see the rpm typically stays in a range of 670-700.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right Jack. It seemed I was able to increase the idle in the garage with that screw, but once on the street it dropped to where it wanted to go. My VEC2 log showed a needle width below the '500' mark to be about 700. On that log, my car was idling between 690-722. It was when I brought it back in that I discovered my WOT TPS signal had been altered from 3.93v back to 3.53v. I think the book says 3.5 minimum.

Steve

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This will adjust the idle, but I don't think it will change the low speed bucking at all. Upping the idle with that screw will alter the TPS signal to the PCM. If you set the idle up, you should reset the TPS. You don't want to be less than 3.5v at WOT. 3.8v or 3.9v is better. Easy to do.

Steve

The screw on the linkage is to sync the throttle bodies. :bonker: It does the same thing as syncing the 2 cables on the gen.1's. :bonker: If the pass. side throttle body is opening too late, you will get bucking.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve

Like Jack said and you noted, you cannot adjust the idle. You can however have a profound effect on low speed bucking by working with the throttle body synchronization. Bad news is that the closer you get it to perfect seems to be an invitation to idle hang! :confused: It is always something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang