Enamel Engine RT/10 or GTS?

Stahlhart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

I´m planing to enamel my engine. Has anybody done that before and have some pictures?

Do anyone have a recommendation for a good engine enamel?

Greetings

Jürgen

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure what you mean by engine enamel, but I had my engine painted using the same factory paint as is used on the body so that the color match would be perfect as it was difficult to match using yellow powder coat.

I was told that as long as you don't apply a clearcoat over it, it would be fine. Clearcoat tends to yellow due to the engine heat. Mine has been painted this way for about 5 years now and still looks like new other than a couple of small chips that I have put into it banging it with tools.

You must be registered for see images attach

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy sh...., Jürgen.... :omg:

I read somewhere, that enamal can only withstand up to 500 hp. Since you are going for more than that, you should rethink this!

PS: I am only kidding, have no clou....

Holger

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave:

Sorry about the tangent, but, did they straighten out your car yet - hope it works out for you.

If you're talking about the Roe, I went back to RSI for some additional tuning. Unfortunately that cleared all the adaptives so the pluses and minuses went back to doing war with each other again. Driving the car was helping, and when Jeremy was logging before the last uodate, he said he could see the PCM making trim adjustments while we drove. But, right after I got it back from RSI I sent it back to Best In Show for some follow up work. So no car, no driving, no seeing if the tune will better itself, blah blah. Once you get past idle though, from the few miles I have put on it, it's kinda fun. Unfortunately, I can't drive to church on Sunday at WOT :rolaugh:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I´m planing to enamel my engine. Has anybody done that before and have some pictures?
Do anyone have a recommendation for a good engine enamel?
Greetings
Jürgen

Jürgen, Although your English is perfect, I can tell that the people responding are interpreting what you said in different ways. Do you mean that you intend to coat the bare aluminum block? Are you just talking about what people usually do, which is change or repaint the valve covers and intake manifold ?

I doubt that many folks have painted their engine block. In our Vipers, it is hardly visible, and as Dave said, we need to get all of the heat transfer out of the block and pan that we can get.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience with air cooled engines was an influence in my comment on heat transfer. Paint will insulate, and you don't want to insulate an air cooled engine. Water cooled engines are likely less affected by this phenomena (if at all), but that question of why would you want to paint your block still stands. Like AZ said, maybe you are talking about the goods up top, which make the pics of my new Roe right on topic. And, on that topic, from my understanding, most quality automotive paints will work. You get what you pay for could be the rule of the day. So buy good paint and you'll be OK?

OP
OP
S

Stahlhart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

sorry this was my mistake. Sometimes I think all people know what´s going on in my head :dunno: :D

I have already powder coated my valve covers and intake manifold. Because of my Supercharger modification I´m going to seal the engine with a new complete set of gaskets. So I thougt it´s a good time to paint the block, cylinder heads and oil pan. The reason why I want to do it, is because I love fine-tuning and details even if nearly nobody will see it.

So, at last, I´m still not sure if I should paint the block or just clean it up?! What I don´t want is, when the coating is crumbling away step by step because of the heat.

@Dave: Where can I get those heat shields you have on your spark plug wires?

Greetings from Germany

Jürgen

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those heat shields are a common item, at least here in the states. Those were from Parts Rack, but companies like Jeg's and Summit Racing also have them. I believe they may be called ceramic boots or sleeves.