Engine "woke up" after 3600 miles

CuHead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had my 2006 Viper now for 3600 miles. I had gotten used to the power and what it took to burn a little rubber in the back roads. I had to manage the clutch and throttle a little to keep the wheels burning, and enjoyed the thrill the rare times I would do it.

But just recently, the power of the engine seems to have increased noticeably, maybe 10% or more. Now to burn rubber I don't have to do any management. I can be in first gear, clutch pedal entirely out, rolling at 5 or so mph, and just simply stomping the gas pedal lights up the tires and they start spinning. They spin basically until I let the throttle out.

Has anyone else experienced such a torque increase after some number of miles?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its possible for it to break in and come alive. But also sometimes we forget how cold it is and your out one day and the cooler air makes the car run a little stronger and the cooler temps make the tires spin easier. Just a thought.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air temp and tire temp will play a factor into spinning. So will hard rubber. The best way to tell if your car is picking up power from breaking in, is to put it into a higher gear where the tires will not spin immedately upon stepping on it and then step on it. That will really tell you if the car is getting stronger by how hard it really pulls.

Even through I feel my car is still picking up power the more I drive it (I have my whopping 1,200+ miles on it now), the mind is deceptive. drive your Viper for a whole week, the rent some dog car for a week and drive it everywhere. At the end of the week jump back in your Viper and it feels like an install 25% hp increase from what it had before. :)

I do believe motors pick up power when broken in properly. I know for a fact my Jeep SRT8 picked up a ton of power at around 12,000 miles. I drive it everyday and something is happening there. The mpg has gone done a bit, but the power is crazy, insane. I was contemplating putting on an I-Charger, but don't feel I need it yet because I have not got bored with the power it has right now. I WILL get bored with the current power level because everyone gets bored with their current power level until you get the ar to the point where you are physicaly scared of it. That is the point you can become complacent.

Regardless, enjoy it while it puts a smile on your face. Unfortunately there will be a time when you say, "I am tired of this dog", then you love affair will come back with mods or a vehicle change.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your tires are most likely 3 years old now since its an 06 maybe even 4. Put on a fresh set of tires and you will loose that feeling, and possibly keep yourself from flying off the road and hitting a telephone pole.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your tires are most likely 3 years old now since its an 06 maybe even 4. Put on a fresh set of tires and you will loose that feeling, and possibly keep yourself from flying off the road and hitting a telephone pole.

sorry if this is ignorant, but how can an 06 have 4yr old tires??
I do agree with all the effects of cooler weather as stated above.

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 10,000 miles on my 06 and I would also swear that it picked up power at about 4,000 - 5,000 miles. I turned that mileage in the summer, in ARIZONA, so take the cold weather story and throw it in the garbage. All you garage queens are really missing out. The harder you drive them, the faster they get. I have a friend with an 05 vert. We purchased about 4 months apart. Neck and neck at first, now I walk away by at least 3 car lengths. 10,000 miles versus 2,000 miles. EVEN AFTER SWITCHING CARS ELIMINATING DRIVER SKILL.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So now 3 year old tires are no good and need replacement?
You must work for a tire manufacturer, this is getting silly.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not vouch for the viper but I have a Mazda Miata Hardtop for a daily driver. I was told when I bought it that at 3000 miles it would have a huge increase in power. I questioned the service manager and he showed me a bulletin that stated that the ECM was programed to reduce horsepower until the engine had broken in at 3000 miles. Perhaps the same holds true for our vipers.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I picked up 1mph in the 1320 due to colder air :D

But I couldn't hook up because the track was cold grrr....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang