Exhaust Cutout

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine just purchased the challenger drag pak with the viper engine. It is very loud and sounded good, so I am assuming that it only has headers on it. Has anyone ever installed an exhaust cutout on a gen 3? Do you think it would have a similar sound as the drag pak challenger? Not sure if there is even enough room for one. Just a thought, as his car sounded good.

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me dumb but what do you mean exhaust cutout... how diff did it sound than a gen 3?

It was just loud and beefy. It is just a valve which is installed after the headers which opens to bypass the exhaust system, can then be closed by the flip of a switch. It would probably have to be installed after the cat so to not throw any codes or something.

Here is a link to the facebook page with a short video of it. It was a cell phone video so the sound is not the best.

For all of you who know Wayne and Deanne, it is his car. If you go to the link below you can click on the photos for the Azleway boys ranch and you can see their collection along with the cruise photos for that day.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000062643477

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm right, a cutout is a selectable valve that you can choose to open, so that the exhaust goes straight out from the headers, bypassing the mufflers.

This way you can go full doucher in your neighborhood at 2 in the morning, and then pretend later it wasn't you.:cool:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter what you do, the Viper will Never, Never, sound like a drag pac Challenger. A V8 is very different from our V10 and will always sound very different.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter what you do, the Viper will Never, Never, sound like a drag pac Challenger. A V8 is very different from our V10 and will always sound very different.

Steve it sounds like the Challenger has the V10 Viper engine in it per the OPs original description.

As for fitting a cutout, it'd be tight but I don't see why someone with enough skill couldn't fab something up. I'd have to look under again to really get an idea of what to do.

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
click on the link for the photos of the car or google the drag pack challenger, it is the viper engine, which is why I am asking this question. I am sure it is modified with a cam and it does use race gas.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have thought it would be cool, but since the exhaust is enclosed how would you vent the bypass?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone posted this cutout thing (or at least talked about doing it) a few months back. Maybe it's the same person. Do a forum search.

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently pulled up to a Trans Am that sounded like a typical juiced up T/A until we got up to a red light and he opened the cutouts:omg: (He still got handled by the snake though :)).... but I think that it would be fun as h*** to have those hooked up on a Viper :D

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with the cut-out it is not going to sound like the Challenger, that is unless you have a seriously built engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang