Exhaust Suggestions?

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that snake oyl has an exhaust system that just replaces the muffler with straight pipes and nothing else. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if it sounds good or not. I would like my car to be louder than stock but not to loud that the wife wont want to ride in it. For 500 bucks it seems the most affordable way to go. Thanks

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mastiff,

I would go to a muffler shop and have them delete the muffler. Replace with staight pipes for $100. My .02

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go to a muffler shop and have them delete the muffler. Replace with staight pipes for $100. My .02

This is definitely the way to go for starters, although it is only a 30 minute job at a muffler shop. Had mine done 3 years ago for $30. I guess if you're in a city, nothing is cheap.

Steve

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deleting the rear mufflers will make it sound a lot better, but not extremely loud.

My previous Snake-oyl muffler delete was quite a bit quieter than my car is now.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Deleting the rear muffler gives a nice sound at idle and really wakes up at WOT. I have a Snake-Oyl sub assembly and been pleased with it but had them put a crossover. The crossover won't give any more power, but I think it sounds better and has less drone than without one. A good thing is to attend a Club event where there are usually several exhausts on the cars and check out what shounds best/looks best to you.

Now Random Tech makes a rear sub assembly that has a crossover built in.

Since the Random and Snake-oyl use factory style clamps, and not crush clamps or "cut-n-weld", the factory muffler can easily be put back on if you would ever want to.
some more info at:
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB24&Number=314082

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Snake Oyl system has a serious drone (that your wife probably won't like) unless you put the crossover in it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muffler shop. Replace muffler with X, H or straight pipes. Cost me $150. It will still be reasonably quite for the lady and gives you a nice little rumble note. Just right for a RT/10 with top off and rear glass out.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone, too much Drone, she won't want to ride with you, It gave her a Headache, my wife said drive alone.

FLX109

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone, too much Drone, she won't want to ride with you, It gave her a Headache, my wife said drive alone.

FLX109
You say that like its a bad thing....
;)
I've got no cats/mufflers at all, and love the sound.
Just my .02.
:laugh:

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FLX109
You say that like its a bad thing....
;)
I've got no cats/mufflers at all, and love the sound.
Just my .02.
:laugh:

Not a bad thing, she says its a bad thing

FLX

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife does not like my Bellanger header, CATs and Catback system either. Rolling down the windows in the GTS makes a big difference with drone and keeping the RPMs over 1500 helps as well.

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the B&B in my GTS...drone, drone, etc...

Went with the Corsa... :cool: while I was at it,
I killed the sidesill heat and went with the RT high
flow cats..........AWESOME>>>> :headbang:

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Mopar 3" Muffler Delete exhaust. The picture looks pretty similar to the Snake Oyl cat bacj sytstem with a resonator on each side and straight pipes out the back.

Although I've had the car for only 2-months I'm still getting used to the sound. This exhaust has great idle and acceleration sound, but the drone with the windows up in my 2001 GTS is wicked and mind numbing(well maybe not mind numbing). With the windows down it is bearable, but I'm gonna try to put an x or H pipe and see if this lessens the drone.

If that fails, from what I read I'll probably put in a corsa cat back system, but will definitely find some-one who has that system installed to hear for myself the "drone-less" Viper.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had stock, Snake Oyl, Muffler delete with H pipe and 2.5" Corsa.

IMO, from best to worst overall:

Corsa (no drone, nice sound, ugly oval tips, which I immediately cut off and welded chromed OEM tips on.... much better)
Muffler Delete (little more drone than stock, nice sound)
Stock
Snake Oyl (Great idle, but killer drone and Pinocchio tips)

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ghetto'd mine. A muffler shop cut the muffler out and welded in straight pipes. I have had mostly positive but some mixed reviews. For $60 it was cheap at twice the price.

Just my opion, but the sound was great.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I experimented like Ron, and agree with his write-up. Corsa is the only way to fly.... Nice and quiet at cruise, and screams at moderate-high RPMS.

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3" Corsa w/ HF Cats on my '96 gts. Sounds pretty nasty at idle with the cam giving it a lumpy idle. Very docile at low RPM, but really starts to boom at higher engine speeds. Probably not as loud as Borla, but IMO better sounding, plus the 4" tips are huge looking.

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Sparty. I have the Corsa Cat Back with the Random Tech High flow cats and the car is dronless and sounds like a beast at WOT. Plus the sills are cool now, too. I think the idle sounds a lot like the engine on a small Cessna though, takes a bit of getting used to, but much better than stock. 40 RWHP gain as an added bonus according to before and after dyno on my car. The corsa website has sound bytes of a viper with the exhaust.

Fast Fish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the CORSA suggestion. I originally tried removing the rear mufflers and installing straight pipes from my local muffler guy, but WAY TOO MUCH drone. I now have the CORSA and am very pleased. I also added Belanger headers and their Hi-flow cats, and it made a huge difference. As far as the CORSA sound, the recorded sound at www.vipertrim.com is very accurate.