F355 vs SRT 10

OP
OP
A

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]I am not sure which model you have (Spyder, GTS, or GTB Coupe), but the major costs are in the servicing. I see you have a 1998, so the 15,000 mile or 5 year service should have been done. That costs, depending on where you go, between $4,000 - $6,000 without a clutch. Clutches are around $2,000 or so last time I checked but they might be more like $3,000 now but do not quote me on that note. As for the other service, the 30,000 miles or 10 year service is the major problem since the major portion of that service is the belt replacement. They pull the engine and it runs at least $8,000 but can be up to $12,000 depending on the issues and what they replace.

[/QUOTE]

I have a 6 spd spider. Yellow/black. 30k service done less than a year ago plus put hyperflow cats on ( ~ $11k ) . Top mechanism fixed just a few months ago ( ~ $2.8k ) . 17009 miles. Only two flaws on the car..wear on the drivers seat bolster and leather shrinkage on the airbag panel. Console is starting to get a little sticky but not bad yet.

Its a really good car..im just impatient..I will probably sell it privately for a discount...say $80k just to move it fast.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yea, then you get smoked by rice......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8yujNMP9M

Its actually embarassing that the Ferrari is able to keep up with that supra. if anyone with half a brain put anything into that supra it should have SMOKED the 355 because lets be honest, as beautiful and fun as it may be, the ferrari is slow. They are a mid 13 second car at best and a Stock supra turbo is in the 13s out of the factory. Besides, Ive seen some modified supras with the licensce plate "VIPRKILR." (Dont get me wrong, anyone who knows me on here knows im in love with vipers)

Any way, back on topic, I would say go with the viper because it is clearly the car you want!!!

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VPR KILR hahaha
That brings back memories.... I had a bpu supra running 12.0's all day at 121 smoking the local viper guys... until one of them showed up with slicks!! Guess what my plate was at the time... :rolleyes:
I then put a big turbo on it and would NEVER get it smogged and would get harassed all the time by the po-po..
I have been in my viper now for coming up on 3 years...supercharged of course....
I have been in many very nice and expensive cars.....
Guess what car im always gonna have.... the ****** going, beach cruising, working mans car.... :2tu:

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, then you get smoked by rice......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK8yujNMP9M

Its actually embarassing that the Ferrari is able to keep up with that supra. if anyone with half a brain put anything into that supra it should have SMOKED the 355 because lets be honest, as beautiful and fun as it may be, the ferrari is slow. They are a mid 13 second car at best and a Stock supra turbo is in the 13s out of the factory. Besides, Ive seen some modified supras with the licensce plate "VIPRKILR." (Dont get me wrong, anyone who knows me on here knows im in love with vipers)

Any way, back on topic, I would say go with the viper because it is clearly the car you want!!!

Back in the days I had a black/tan '94 Supra: downpipe, Computer, boost controller, intake and no cat w/ c.fiber muffler.... STOCK TURBOS.

Ran 12.20 @ 122. And I SMOKED a couple of 355's out there.

i had friends with upgraded Single and twin turbos (As that yellow supra had supposedly) who would run circles around me... so Yes! that video is a joke....

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I test drove my first SRT yesterday...I miss that torque. Im convinced...now I just have to see if I can trade the 355 in or if its better to sell it privately..I hate dealing w tire kickers and Im terrified someone is going to fry the clutch on a 'test drive'.

Ive noticed sticker prices between $85-$90k on the 06 verts in my area but if I go to Ebay it seems theres tons of 'Buy It Nows' in the $70s... Is it realistic to get a new 06 for mid $70s ?

The Ferrari=wine and cheese guy , Viper = ******* and beach guy is definately true... Im an ex guitarist, tattoos, t shirts, jeans ... I guess Im just more a viper guy.

Thanks for telling me what I already knew !

J

Hey Buddy. I told you on FChat what you could get a new Viper for right now. Let me know if you want some help. A.J. (6.0SE)

WOW. I was wondering who you were and now I know. I am DodgeViper01 on F Chat.

LOL. I had figured yours out awhile ago. Not many Viper guys over there.

Yeah there really aren't.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure which model you have (Spyder, GTS, or GTB Coupe), but the major costs are in the servicing. I see you have a 1998, so the 15,000 mile or 5 year service should have been done. That costs, depending on where you go, between $4,000 - $6,000 without a clutch. Clutches are around $2,000 or so last time I checked but they might be more like $3,000 now but do not quote me on that note. As for the other service, the 30,000 miles or 10 year service is the major problem since the major portion of that service is the belt replacement. They pull the engine and it runs at least $8,000 but can be up to $12,000 depending on the issues and what they replace.

[/QUOTE]

I have a 6 spd spider. Yellow/black. 30k service done less than a year ago plus put hyperflow cats on ( ~ $11k ) . Top mechanism fixed just a few months ago ( ~ $2.8k ) . 17009 miles. Only two flaws on the car..wear on the drivers seat bolster and leather shrinkage on the airbag panel. Console is starting to get a little sticky but not bad yet.

Its a really good car..im just impatient..I will probably sell it privately for a discount...say $80k just to move it fast.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good car. Both of those problems are very normal and really not worth fixing since almost all cars have them and to fix them it is a nightmare of a cost. Good luck with your decision!!

tagteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TSure the ********* gold digger club girls in Scottsdale who have the blue book and auction results memorized as a filter for potential mates know right up front you are not funded if you drive up in a Viper, but a car guy, a guy at the local Saturday Night car show knows you are a car guy when you drive up in a Viper.

These girls don't know sh*t. They are impressed if you are in a "beemer", they don't know a 300 series from 700 series, but just are impressed by a "beemer".

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
TSure the ********* gold digger club girls in Scottsdale who have the blue book and auction results memorized as a filter for potential mates know right up front you are not funded if you drive up in a Viper, but a car guy, a guy at the local Saturday Night car show knows you are a car guy when you drive up in a Viper.

These girls don't know sh*t. They are impressed if you are in a "beemer", they don't know a 300 series from 700 series, but just are impressed by a "beemer".

You call those gold diggers? Here in SoBe they could care less what car you drive. Most of them care about what properties you own and how many greenbacks you burn on a weeknend. The semi-celebrity ones care if you have hookups in hollywood, and if you have a private Jet..

now that's a gold digger!!

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with an Italian car for sure, or say an SL Mercedes is that it is all about pimping. If you do not have the latest version you are a has been. I think this is because the majority of owners are just guys who can spend the money, not real car enthusiasts who do their own work. I mean come on, if you drive up to a swanky restaurant valet in a Countach you are a total loser. A Viper however has a timeless quality. A 93 RT-10 has the same punch as an SRT-10 Coupe. Sure the ********* gold digger club girls in Scottsdale who have the blue book and auction results memorized as a filter for potential mates know right up front you are not funded if you drive up in a Viper, but a car guy, a guy at the local Saturday Night car show knows you are a car guy when you drive up in a Viper.

There are lots of exotics in this world. But only Viper has mass appeal without being pretentious. Just my two cents worth.
Well said, but I have to admit that I get as many or more comments/questions about my SRT-8 Jeep as I do about my Viper. "What is that" is the standard.

LOL, I live in Scottsdale, and my friend owns a Countach, which we have taken to places like Barcelona, the Ultimate Gold diggers hang out. Woman will walk OVER a Viper to get to the Countach. Sorry, but thats fact.

As for the 355, having owned a Spider, I agree. It is a POS. It feels fragile, but its not too bad. The looks are soso in my book, but most Ferrari owners are total poseurs, I hate them more than I hate the cars. I too would rather own a SRT10 than a 355. The 355 was only mediocre when it was introduced, its bottom of the barrel now.

As for the 430 having a hard time keeping up with a GT3, thats not going to happen. I dont like the car, hate the looks, but it is a fantastic driving car, with performance to match. It will outaccelerate a SRT10, out brake, out handle etc, no problems. 435rwhp, 3200lbs, carbon brakes will do that.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that on track the 430 is a loaf relative to the GT3. Softer suspension.
As for an SRT10 - I think with equal drivers, it might not be that much of body slam as you paint it.
Also, make sure that the TC and StabMgt is off.
Sure, it has grunt. But it is heavy.
Will a guy who can handle SRT10 torque be destroyed by the 4300 - both will have to be good but that SRT10 torque out of the hole can be used to your advantage depite about 200 lbs defecit to the 430. The gt3 is 3000, so it stops a lot better.
I am not particularly biased against a 430, just think its not ********* enough.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that on track the 430 is a loaf relative to the GT3. Softer suspension.
As for an SRT10 - I think with equal drivers, it might not be that much of body slam as you paint it.
Also, make sure that the TC and StabMgt is off.
Sure, it has grunt. But it is heavy.
Will a guy who can handle SRT10 torque be destroyed by the 4300 - both will have to be good but that SRT10 torque out of the hole can be used to your advantage depite about 200 lbs defecit to the 430. The gt3 is 3000, so it stops a lot better.
I am not particularly biased against a 430, just think its not ********* enough.

I agree about the 430, I much prefer my Gallardo SE 6 speed. But from my experience a 430 will eat up a stock SRT, especially if its an F1. The shifts are lightning fast, no mistakes etc. The suspension on the 430 is a little soft, but on the street its great. Finally a nice driving car from Ferrari, thats still for, not nice to look at.

As for racing the 430 out the hole, Ive been in a 430 that was launched hard, and let me tell you, that thing when launched properly with the F1, hooks and goes!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for the 430 having a hard time keeping up with a GT3, thats not going to happen. I dont like the car, hate the looks, but it is a fantastic driving car, with performance to match. It will outaccelerate a SRT10, out brake, out handle etc, no problems. 435rwhp, 3200lbs, carbon brakes will do that.

I've run into only one 430 on a road course (a very tight, technical course.) I had no problem reeling in the 430. The Viper's torque out of tight corners is a big advantage, and I wasn't giving up anything on the short straights either. At the time, my car was stock except for headers, exhaust, motons and quaife. The 430 driver was no stranger to track days, and probably had more seat time than me. I'd say that the cars are pretty close, even with a bone stock Viper. Toss a few track day mods on the Viper, and there are few cars (modded or stock) with license plates that can keep up.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've run into only one 430 on a road course (a very tight, technical course.) I had no problem reeling in the 430. The Viper's torque out of tight corners is a big advantage, and I wasn't giving up anything on the short straights either. At the time, my car was stock except for headers, exhaust, motons and quaife. The 430 driver was no stranger to track days, and probably had more seat time than me. I'd say that the cars are pretty close, even with a bone stock Viper. Toss a few track day mods on the Viper, and there are few cars (modded or stock) with license plates that can keep up.

On a track it comes down to driver, not so much the car in this case. Again, being a realist here, the 430 is faster than the SRT. Im not saying it is going to blow its doors off, but it will pull. Of course once the mods begin, the Viper can be made faster, relatively easily. Which is the direct opposite of Ferraris and Lambos. Ive been trying to get more power from my G SE, and unfortunately Ive gained very little peak power, although with test pipes and air filter I have gained some midrange power. For example, I changed exhausts, and it did absolutely nothing, actually got slightly worse. But it sounds good and shoots 6 foot flames. A friend of mine did an ECU upgrade, and gained 2hp, but lost torque. ***** that people dont r and D products for these cars, and just rip people off.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, I live in Scottsdale, and my friend owns a Countach, which we have taken to places like Barcelona, the Ultimate Gold diggers hang out. Woman will walk OVER a Viper to get to the Countach. Sorry, but thats fact.
Well working for the company that owns Barcelona, I have to admit that the "'diggers" there are on the "older" side so perhaps when they were young they had a thing for Countachs and are looking to relive there youth. :D That or you guys are waiting around to leave until 2:00 or so when the betties are are liquored up, running out of time, and the Bentleys, SL65s, F430s, GT3s and the occassional SLR are already at home in their hot tubs! :shocked: Gawd cars are great. Cars = life for us car guys. Let's have a Scottsdale get together soon now that the weather is starting to break.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well working for the company that owns Barcelona, I have to admit that the "'diggers" there are on the "older" side so perhaps when they were young they had a thing for Countachs and are looking to relive there youth. :D That or you guys are waiting around to leave until 2:00 or so when the betties are are liquored up, running out of time, and the Bentleys, SL65s, F430s, GT3s and the occassional SLR are already at home in their hot tubs! :shocked: Gawd cars are great. Cars = life for us car guys. Let's have a Scottsdale get together soon now that the weather is starting to break.

:nono: :cool:

Id love to get together. My G should be in AZ soon! Have you joined the Scottsdale exotic car club? There are several Vipers guys on board. Last time we went out, we took the Countach, and one guy had a special edition Viper Gt/R, and his dad has a Gallardo. Interesting note was that according to him the Gallardo is substantially quicker than the Gt/R. Anyways, they do some pretty cool runs, drag racing, track events etc.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you joined the Scottsdale exotic car club?
Hey we now have Bling water for $75/bottle at Barcelona. Perfect for you Lambo ballars to wash down your Roederer Cristal so we can start at Barcelona! :2tu: Hey wait no drinking and driving so maybe you can top off those Italian overflow bottles with the Bling. :D

Link to Bling Water Site

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only decent "real world" test, I have seen.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=3768

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/WorldSuperpowersTrack.pdf

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=34&article_id=3798

Bottomline:

On the American side, the Viper gets the nod. On paper, the GT and Z06 outperform it in acceleration, but its grip, confidence factor, controllability and effortless, explosive torque make it the track-day darling.

On the European side, it’s the F430. It simply goes where you put it, has no bad habits, can be tuned to your every driving whim and looks (and sounds) fantastic, lap after glorious lap.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you joined the Scottsdale exotic car club?
Hey we now have Bling water for $75/bottle at Barcelona. Perfect for you Lambo ballars to wash down your Roederer Cristal so we can start at Barcelona! :2tu: Hey wait no drinking and driving so maybe you can top off those Italian overflow bottles with the Bling. :D

Link to Bling Water Site

Oh man, a couple of us have spent many a night in the VIP section at Barcelona, and on Sat nights, the crowd is much younger. not to mention watching Zowie snort enough coke to get the entire club high.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez. In Pittsburgh you are king with a Viper. Even one 8 years old (most people think it's new). People look at you like you're Donald Trump. Seriously.... You just don't see Ferrari's/Lambo's/SLR's driving around here. I think I've only seen 1 Lambo on the road - EVER! Maybe 4-5 Ferrari's (308/348/355). Never a SLR. Matter of fact, only seen about 3-4 Vipers. Oh yeah, and the water is free at the bar, not that anyone drinks it. Why drink water when God created beer? Living in a blue collar town does have its advantages. ;) All you 'ballers in those high maintenance cities don't know what you're missing.

2089iron_City.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte