Fan Relays Melting, Even with Bypassing Fuse Box

97GTStx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 gts, just started having issues with fan relays melting in factory fuse box, i bypassed the factory fuse box and ran 12gauge wire and the wire still getting hot and my fan does not come on high speed unless i manually do it, but will blow the inline 40amp fuse i put......im running the stock 97 fan, just ordered the 02 fan cause im thinking its pulling too much amperage from factory fan motor.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been having trouble with my fan too, I have been melting relays in the fuse box :(

There was a thread awhile ago about replacing some of the wires that the relays plug into, it seems some of of the wires arc out in the fuse holder due to the heat. I suffered this in Le mans this year :( I need to somehow take the fuse box apart and run some fresh wire. Trouble is when things start arcing out it moves on down the wire!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
S SearchEarly Gen II's seem to suffer from corrosion of the terminals on the back side of the box that has 4 slots with 3 active relays. One member reported successfully relocating fan relay and its connections to this empty slot in a post at least ten years ago.
Search "fan relay" by "Big Medicine" for info.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang