First gear lock out

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does first gear have a lock out when travelling at a high enough speed? I know my M3 wont allow you to engage first gear on a downshift until your about 45mph or lower. My viper has an aftermarket short throw that is super short and helps to mask the locations of the already small gear box. It practically looks like a video game joystick. I think its an older MGW gripper, havent seen one like it on any website and im not sure when it was purchased. It has the sneaky pete logo etched in on the top larger than the others Ive seen.

Im always worried when im downshifting out of 6th or 5th and looking for 3rd Im going to accidently throw it in 1st. The more I drive the car the more I feel Im getting used to it, but Im just curious.

Last edited:

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd just downshift to 4th, it is possible to hit 1st gear, doing so could potentially spin the car around on you, not something you want at that speed.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd just downshift to 4th, it is possible to hit 1st gear, doing so could potentially spin the car around on you, not something you want at that speed.
And not to mention blowing the engine. I've almost never had an incorrect shift but that could be due to my lame driving pace. The few times when I feel I've shifted incorrectly, usually in winter while the tranny is still cold, I just don't release the clutch and do a second verification.

But, I think you'll get used to it. Just don't drive it like you stole it. Remember, the Viper can be driven at 1250 rpm in 6th gear on a level road without taxing the engine, inspite of the naysayers who never use 6th.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To go from fifth/sixth to first would seriously rev the synchros beyond their capability. You would have to push pretty hard to get a 9000 RPM synchromesh to happen with the T56. You would also probably hear the syncro cry for help as you are pushing it in. It's hard enough to get it to go into first at 5000 RPM. Just don't jam it in and it should never happen.