First installation on my gts...SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on...

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought I saw a thread on here earlier in the year about this topic, but I could not find it before posting this. Even after using the search function.

I installed the K&N cold air induction, in place of the stock air box. But as soon as I started the engine the service engine soon light came on. I turned it off, disconnected the battery again for about 15 minutes, then reconnected the battery. I then restarted it and the light was still on. I drove around for about 20 minutes and the light stayed on the entire time.

I checked to make sure all the hoses and sensors were plugged back in properly.

Any ideas what I might have done, or how to fix it without taking it in to Dodge?

See, this is why I am very hesitant to "fix" or install things on my own. :crazy2: I hate when I cause more damage than what it would have cost to pay someone to do it for me.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a code reading OBD2 scanner? You will need one to re-set the Engine management light ;) If you do not have one try asking another local member if they have one you could borrow or buy one from ebay? Or try a Autozone store You simply plug it in to the left underside of the drivers foot well, switch on the ignition and the tool will go through a sequence displaying the fault code and then re-set the engine management. I suspect the engine management will have to re-learn itself.

Check out threads on this site for OBD2 recommended tools :)

Please post up some pics, it might help us to see if anythings wrong :)

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ObdII codes are non-volatile. which just means it won't reset just from unhooking the battery. the problem would have to be resolved for a certain amount of drive cycles (which can vary per code) before the light will turn off. even when the light turns off it will still have a stored "history" code you will want to clear to prevent future potential diagnostic confusion .. that being said I agree with viper baz that you may be overlooking the Intake air temp sensor on the right side of the air cleaner box.... first guess. ..

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Fatboy recommends, do get an OBD2 reader....if it fixes you this time great....regardless, its a very good thing to have.....O'Reilly's for 29.95 I think.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have an OBD2 reader, get one! Great investment, and they're dirt cheap these days. They always come in handy...

OP
OP
G

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BINGO....I just went to Autozone and picked up an ODB2 scanner, and it cleared up the 1 code that it was reading. I'm glad that there was actually only 1 error code.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!! Now if I could just get Grundy insurance to speed up a little, and stop demanding documentation for everything from my elementary school grades to what the winning numbers will be for next month's powerball.......geeeze. :lmao:

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BINGO....I just went to Autozone and picked up an ODB2 scanner, and it cleared up the 1 code that it was reading. I'm glad that there was actually only 1 error code.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!! Now if I could just get Grundy insurance to speed up a little, and stop demanding documentation for everything from my elementary school grades to what the winning numbers will be for next month's powerball.......geeeze. :lmao:

lol well guess i dont need to text you anymore, tell them to hurry up or start paying me!