First warm weekend...maitenance ?

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like the 'burgh is getting its first warm day this weekend with a forcast of total sunshine and around 70 on Saturday. :cool:

The GTS will make its first appearance for some TLC. My plans include an oil change and plug/wire change.

I would also like to lube the suspension components. I did a quick search but could not find anything so I would like to pick your brains.

First, I assume like anything else I've encountered on this car I can do this myself; correct? Second, I did not see in my manual the type of grease that is recommended; anyone know what I should use? Lastly, are there grease fittings and if so, how many at each wheel?

Thx
Dave

OP
OP
H

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I talked to the local Viper Tech today and he told me there is a total of 12 grease fittings on the car and any multi-purpose grease will work.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay the extra dollar and buy the silicone grease, Mobil1 , it is pink.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What local viper tech did you talk too? I'm just south of the Burgh. I've seen an all yellow GTS sneaking around last summer.

OP
OP
H

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That may have been me....I'm actually in Washington and usually stay down that way. I didn't make it out much last summer though...but I don't know of any other all yellows in the area.

About two years ago I was teaching an adult class at CCAC and a female student told me her husband was a Viper Tech out at the dealer in Burgettstown. I was surprised they had a tech out there. Fast forward to today...I called them this morning checking on some parts (plugs and wires) and asked the guy I was talking to if they still had a Viper tech...sure enough the guy I was talking to was him. He was really cool on the phone. His name was Jason and him and his wife used to have a silver RT. He told me today they had to sell.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That may have been me....I'm actually in Washington and usually stay down that way. I didn't make it out much last summer though...but I don't know of any other all yellows in the area.

About two years ago I was teaching an adult class at CCAC and a female student told me her husband was a Viper Tech out at the dealer in Burgettstown. I was surprised they had a tech out there. Fast forward to today...I called them this morning checking on some parts (plugs and wires) and asked the guy I was talking to if they still had a Viper tech...sure enough the guy I was talking to was him. He was really cool on the phone. His name was Jason and him and his wife used to have a silver RT. He told me today they had to sell.

I'm in North Strabane/Canonsburg! You'll have to get out with me and some of the other local viper owners this summer. I also have a few friends in Ohio with vipers as well. I saw a bubble bee ACR running around on RT.19 in Washington last summer as well. I saw the yellow GTS (maybe you) in Chartiers Twp. twice.

I know exactly the tech you are talking about (I forgot about him until now). I don't think they see many vipers in this area. I pretty much do everything myself (except I leave the engine building to Larry Macedo).

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm in North Strabane/Canonsburg! You'll have to get out with me and some of the other local viper owners this summer. I also have a few friends in Ohio with vipers as well. I saw a bubble bee ACR running around on RT.19 in Washington last summer as well. I saw the yellow GTS (maybe you) in Chartiers Twp. twice.

I know exactly the tech you are talking about (I forgot about him until now), nice guy. I don't think they see many vipers in this area. I pretty much do everything myself (except I leave the engine building to Larry Macedo).

OP
OP
H

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I know exactly the tech you are talking about (I forgot about him until now), nice guy. I don't think they see many vipers in this area. I pretty much do everything myself (except I leave the engine building to Larry Macedo).

That was me for sure then!! I grew up in Chartiers and my parents still live there (Chartiers Houston Class of 93 :D ). Most of my friends are in the Canonsburg area so that's where I'm always at! My wife and I have a 'temporary' house in Weirton but I still claim the area as home and will be back there when we find some land to build.

I've had the car for two years now and have only changed oil so far. Besides what I mentioned above, I still need to do coolant, tranny, and rear end fluid. So I'm planning on doing everything myself too with the help of the search engine here!

I would love to meet up with all you guys sometime. Keep me posted of anything going on. My wife and I have a four month old so time's not as free as it used to be, but I'm interested for sure.

Dave

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was me for sure then!! I grew up in Chartiers and my parents still live there (Chartiers Houston Class of 93 :D ). Most of my friends are in the Canonsburg area so that's where I'm always at! My wife and I have a 'temporary' house in Weirton but I still claim the area as home and will be back there when we find some land to build.

I've had the car for two years now and have only changed oil so far. Besides what I mentioned above, I still need to do coolant, tranny, and rear end fluid. So I'm planning on doing everything myself too with the help of the search engine here!

I would love to meet up with all you guys sometime. Keep me posted of anything going on. My wife and I have a four month old so time's not as free as it used to be, but I'm interested for sure.

Dave

Get the hell out of here, I graduated with you! :laugh: Ian (Mac) Simms.

I'd be more than happy to give you a hand (if needed) when it comes to anything with these cars. I have changed the typical fluids, installed headers, exhaust, rocker arms, pushrods, Roe supercharger, roll bar, rear end etc. The car has been in many pieces on my garage floor. ;)

I'll pm you my cell so you can get a hold of me when you have some free time. There are some viper events close to this area that I always attend, as well as the typical local car shows. I'm working on renting Pittsburgh Raceway Park some time this spring so a few of us can do some test-n-tune. But usually any weekend a couple of us get together for a nice drive or to just shoot the ****.

Congratulations on the baby! I have a 2 year old myself. Life certainly changes fast.

P.S. I have some tips for you on the coolant change.

OP
OP
H

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya know...I was wondering if that was you. For some reason I was thinking it was but I never thought you were into cars that much.

Yea. Let's hook up sometime soon! I did not think you were still in the area.

Since this turned into our thread, we're trying to get a class reunion together too!!!

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know...I was wondering if that was you. For some reason I was thinking it was but I never thought you were into cars that much.

Ya, I've been tearing cars/trucks apart since high school. It started with motorcycles, then jeeps and trucks, now cars. Here is my other money pit. Its actually for sale.

You must be registered for see images

Yea. Let's hook up sometime soon! I did not think you were still in the area.
Definitely! The weather is finally starting to break. I have a few things I want to do to my car soon as well. I was out of State for college, but I've been here since graduation and marriage (been married for over 5 years). Seems all I do is work though.

Since this turned into our thread, we're trying to get a class reunion together too!!!
I think I missed the one we did have. Been 13 years, LOL!

OP
OP
H

hatda02GTS01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya, I've been tearing cars/trucks apart since high school. It started with motorcycles, then jeeps and trucks, now cars. Here is my other money pit. Its actually for sale.

I remember the Jeep and still remember asking you if you would trade me for my Cutlass! I was checking the truck out in your gallery last night. Something is telling me that does not fit in the garage! I also noticed a Porsche in the one shot, is that yours?

Definitely! The weather is finally starting to break. I have a few things I want to do to my car soon as well. I was out of State for college, but I've been here since graduation and marriage (been married for over 5 years). Seems all I do is work though.

I checked the weather again today and it's now looking like rain...figures. I do all my work at my parents house (tools and compressor are there) so if it is raining the car stays in the garage at home.

I work quite a bit too, but not as much as I used to. Surprise, surprise but I never finished college yet so I spend a lot of nights/weekends studying trying to finish up(although I took the spring off). Between work, kid, class, studying, cars...there's never enough time...

I think I missed the one we did have. Been 13 years, LOL!

HaHa...you did not miss anything...there has not been one yet!!

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember the Jeep and still remember asking you if you would trade me for my Cutlass! I was checking the truck out in your gallery last night. Something is telling me that does not fit in the garage! I also noticed a Porsche in the one shot, is that yours?
Dave, I just clicked on your screan name and noticed it was you! I remember the cutlass. LOL, no the truck does not fit. Its stored in a warehouse. Due to its height, I can't even drive it on the road. Remember the Canonsburg cop Spingola (sp) ? He threatened to impound it.
The 911 turbo is now my father in laws, but it is always at my house. I pretty much maintain it.

I checked the weather again today and it's now looking like rain...figures. I do all my work at my parents house (tools and compressor are there) so if it is raining the car stays in the garage at home.
Same here, I never drive in the rain. My car was only in the rain once, when Macedo had to break the new motor in he got caught in one of those Florida showers. I'm anal like that.

I work quite a bit too, but not as much as I used to. Surprise, surprise but I never finished college yet so I spend a lot of nights/weekends studying trying to finish up(although I took the spring off). Between work, kid, class, studying, cars...there's never enough time...
A very sucessful friend of mine never finished college, but he managed to own his own business and buys anything he wants. I give you credit for still getting it done. Its especially hard while having a job and family. One thing I always wish I would have more of is time.

HaHa...you did not miss anything...there has not been one yet!!

Ah, that could explain it. I just assumed we had a 10 year.