First weekend with my GTS after a summer hiatus!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some may recall my thread on my Bday no less (June 22nd) when I toasted my input shaft into a finely grated metal mess some 5 miles from my home and pushed the car the entire way for four hours as it was in the middle of the night and no flat bed tow was available nor do I sleep well when my car is not sleeping well in it's garage.

After a summer of false hopes from various locations around my city and then a final lost month from the tranny shop in Michigan that was opening it up to get a quote on rebuilding each gearset with a stronger metal to avoid this happening again I gave up when the quote timeline came in around Xmas time. Ouch, after researching on here and numerous talks with tranny shops around the country I concluded my destroying the input shaft/cluster shaft, as well as third and second for good measure was an absolute fluke on an OEM T56. With several on this board roaming around with a 1000 horse it is frustrating on what went wrong as I don't drive THAT hard, just some spirited romps thru the gears on occasion.

Regardless after a quote of $12,000 (Cdn) from my local dealer for a new tranny (installed), and even a quote of nearing $5000 US from US dealers (cash and carry), I tracked down the exact T56 in Viper spec from Tremec (bought out the manual division of Borg Warner recently) for $1800, which I thought was fair. (have a neat pic of my new T56 seatbelted in the back seat of my daily driver if someone can host it)

It's in, tossed the Dexron III and went with Castrol Syntorque and so far so good. Put on a few hundred miles of easy driving this weekend to break it in, meeting up with the Corvette Club this upcoming Sunday (if anyone wants to join in the area let me know) for a cruise to Hell Michigan so I am sure some impromptu runs will be happening. If not, I'll initiate them myself!:)

Missed the GTS this summer, funniest random gawker story this past weekend was a boatload of people that unified the Viper chant from the Detroit River as I rumbled by. First time I was given attention from watercraft, always something new in this car.

Exhaust sounds perfect, 2000 headers, Roe Ovals, and rear **** delete. Need to dyno this combo as it feels quicker (50 horse quicker, who needs Vipair? :D ) Nice rumble at idle, no drone in 6th cruising and a nice wail at WOT. Well as good as WOT as a V10 can get a guess.

Feels good to back, had a hellacious summer anyways so the GTS would have been under wrap most of the time anyways, time to make up for lost time!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see you're back tearing it up in the snake! :)

Now make up for that lost time AND milage on the rear meats...I think you have about 3K worth of miles those rear tires need to see in the next week - doesn't mean the fronts need 3K, just the rears. ;)

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What in the world did you do to make that happen in the first place. I want to make sure I never do it! :eek:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear your Viper is back! Now send it down to me for the winter and I'll be sure to accrue the proper amount of mileage on it - I'll even drive it down to Tampa for you ;)

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What in the world did you do to make that happen in the first place. I want to make sure I never do it! :eek:

I banged into third gear at 6K and the tranny just fell apart, wrecked everything inside. Input shaft was stripped down to nothing and prevented the car from moving forward but 4, 3 and 2nd were totalled as well, how nice!

Kumhos have 4 weeks total run time and are just about gone in well under 3,000 miles, although that included a hard day at the track. Not sure about the entire buy new tires all around when changing the oil theorem??:)

Slaughter heading down for a cruise outta Tampa next weekend, want to join in to crash Mons/Winghouse and go bug Chuck?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to hear you have your car back and running. It's hard to be without it even for just days.

You mentioned you were going to hang with the Corvette group. Do you happen to know Matt G. with a silver C5 coupe? Has a built motor by ARE I believe.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughter heading down for a cruise outta Tampa next weekend, want to join in to crash Mons/Winghouse and go bug Chuck?

Dang, wish I could, too much going on tho...