Fixing the rockers on a gen 1 the right way, please help!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So now that winter is here I decided to get the drivers side rocker fixed (passenger side is great). It has several bubbling places so I took it off and went body shopping today. I went to several that I wanted to fix it and they either would not do it because it was aluminum and they said they were not "certified" or they said they would but when I asked how they would fill any holes they said "body filler" like I was crazy to think of some other way. I told them that they needed to be Tig welded/filled (after a lot of research last night on the subject) and they all said I would have to go some place else.

My last stop of the day was a new state of the art body shop that specializes in toyotas/audis and porsches. Low and behold they have 2 certified aluminum welders there and they gave me a quote for the drivers side for repairing the damage the right way (tig welding) and repainting the whole rocker, including the black and then clearing it for $316.00. I feel that this is a great price, although I seem to recall that people have had both sides done for that (which seems hard to believe if there was any damage repair). So is this a good price? The place said they would color match the panel exact by putting it on a spectrometer or something machine. Guess I'm just curious b/c it seems like a night and day difference from the lower end places that actually quoted 350 and they were just going to fill it and only get the original match paint (no machine that matches the actual paint on the panel) which I think would be a far less desirable way to do this correct? Thanks for any help.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not a bad price for the repair AND the paint. Just stripping and spraying can come in a little cheaper per side, but with repairs that's not bad.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I dropped my rocker off at the shop today, they said I should have it back by the end of the week, I'm so excited! That rocker has bothered me since day 1 lol. They brought the aluminum welder technician out to look at it once more (he didn't look at it the other day when I got the estimate) and determined it needed one more hour of body work labor time to do it right (told me it would be showroom new). So my estimate is now at 363.00, which I still think is ok for having it done right and a lifetime guarantee on the paint work. Can't wait to get her back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950