Gen 1 Drone

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, all!

I purchased my childhood dream car—a 1995 RT/10—in November (pic below) and have really been enjoying the Viper experience so far!

It has a modified exhaust of some sort. I'm not sure what's in there, but the exhaust tips are 3.5". Unfortunately, it drones pretty badly at ~2k rpm (which, of course, is where the engine likes to sit while cruising). It sounds really good when accelerating, but I'd like to cut the drone down. I'm worried it might affect my hearing in the long run.

I've heard that these Moroso mufflers cut drone (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-94052), but I'd like to avoid throwing money after guesses. Obviously, I'll need to pull the rockers off to see what's in there. But, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the best low/no-drone exhaust components for a Gen 1 RT/10.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

SYDWNDR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I got my 1994, I had a shop cut off the mufflers and leave the cats, straight pipe the side pipe. It was going to be a temporary solution, but I love the sound so much I've left it for 4 years. I just wear noise canceling airpods on long trips. :)

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff, folks. Thanks! I think the next step is to take the rocker/exhaust cover panels off to see what's in there. Then, I can approach it with better info.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you still have the stock cats, cut them off. They are the main culprit for the cabin getting hot. Typically, the best sounding exhaust(Subjective) is Morosso Spirals in front where the cats were, then Dynomax Ultraflows behind.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think minimal, but again, subjective. Just remember the exhaust hole is right by the left ear, so.............

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, an update: looks like I have a stock exhaust. I'm under the assumption that this is as tame as it gets (the consensus seems to be the stock exhaust is too quiet). Is there anything that might drone less than stock? This volume is totally fine. I'd just love a bit less 2k-rpm drone. Try Moroso spirals?

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, an update: looks like I have a stock exhaust. I'm under the assumption that this is as tame as it gets (the consensus seems to be the stock exhaust is too quiet). Is there anything that might drone less than stock? This volume is totally fine. I'd just love a bit less 2k-rpm drone. Try Moroso spirals?
stock cats also clog and catch fire.

It's go with high flow cats and corsa. Pretty sure corsa is the least drone available.

If you dont care about smell then you can do spirals in place of the cats.

BoremViper97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few decades ago when I was big into mustangs, I read that exhaust drone is cured by having differing sized mufflers.
It seems to make sense to me but I never confirmed that.

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good stuff to try. I believe that Corsa only makes exhaust systems for Gen II+. Meanwhile, I'm trying to stay away from 2k-rpm as I can, and that helps.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just personal preference, but if you do HF cats, just add the 6" round Dynomax Ultraflows, if not cats. You could just do straight pipe and the 6" UF, but it will be loud!! Spirals add will make a nice sound

Viperman97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good stuff to try. I believe that Corsa only makes exhaust systems for Gen II+. Meanwhile, I'm trying to stay away from 2k-rpm as I can, and that helps.

I would buy their Gen 3/4/5 system and adapt it. Its mostly all the same size and then just lengths as needed.

OP
OP
green_rt10

green_rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great stuff, everyone. A doctor's visit revealed that I have something minor going on with my left ear. So, I'm hoping the drone issue will be resolved with some decongestants.

That said, I didn't know you could adapt a Corsa to a Gen 1 car. That is very, very tempting.

Viperman97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That said, I didn't know you could adapt a Corsa to a Gen 1 car. That is very, very tempting.

Yep! Its just some pipe. An exhaust shop could do it or if you are handy with a little bit of fabrication, it could be done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21