Flame suits on, here's my question

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Flame suits on, here\'s my question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by illy:
I have AWD in my new Impreza WRX, now if it only had the tourque of my Viper! hehe...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should have bought a Stealth RT/TT. they run very close to vipers with a few mods.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A stealth TT with a few mods runs close to a Viper? You must be kidding, right? I had a TT car and NO WAY IT COMES EVEN CLOSE TO MY VIPER!!!!!

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I THINK AN AWD VIPER WOULD BE AN INTERESTING OPTION. BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD, YOU LOSE HP WHEN THE POWER HAS TO BE DISTRIBUTED TO ALL 4 WHEELS.

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS?

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AWD formats are being considered all the time by the major manufacturers. The problem that exists is the parasitic loss associated with the extra transaxle. They are wonderful to have for "off the line" traction but the parasitic loss really limits the top/higher speeds and really hurts gas mileage. I have owned 4 GMC Syclones and they were all capable of pulling 1.7 to 1.8 60 foot times on the OEM tires. Not too shabby. Now, they also ran a 13.5 but only at 98 mph. Part of that is due to the breadbox drag coefficient but most of it is from the parasitic loss of the extra driveline gear. Most of the heavily modded sytys are actually eliminated the front drive.

Just an observation from a different perspective.

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm no expert but what would get traction in 20 degree weather? Would a 4wd even be helpful with the amount of torque and horsepower the Viper makes? If Dodge ever did make a 4x4 Viper I wonder if the drivetrain would hold up to the power anyway? I guess it would have to be some type of heavy duty system but it would add more weight to the car and that may not be a very good modification. But then again, the Porsche's have it.

Chuck B.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck B 98 GTS:
But then again, the Porsche's have it.

Chuck B.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A guy I work with bought a new 911 Turbo, yet it's awesome AWD and stability control couldn't save that bonehead from looping it off of an offramp and totalling the car within 3 wks of ownership. In my '99 GTS he could get 1/2 to 1 car length on me by 50mph, at 70 the viper blew past that turdo faster than a southbound Taliban in a northbound airstrike.

Even the Porsche AWD ain't all that.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, how fast were you going when you skipped them in 4th? Sorry to get off subject.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Weight!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I rode in my friends customers 500 hp TT stealth. I can honestly say that is one of the fastest feeling cars I have ever experienced. It felt faster than the f40. Unreal. With that much HP and being able to hook it up (awd) something has to give.

TRANSMISSIONS.

I dont think I would buy and AWD viper. No fun. Half the fun of the car is sliding it around.

Can you imagine what an AWD viper would weigh. Uhhhh
biggrin.gif

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

not to mention where the heck would they put the AWD system??? With the car that low there would be no room, the WRX is alot higher up and has the engine mounted across the engine bay as opposed to front/back. As for the orsche turbo and the stealth, look where they're engines are. It's alot easier to make them AWD compared to a viper.
Craig

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony, was that my Viper or my TT you saw miles away? If it was the Viper I was in front of you, if it was the TT I was behind you...LOl...you know I had to do it!

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

a TT stealth with a "few" mods would get dusted by a a GEN II Viper..... I had a 3000GT VR4, fun car, a few mods.... but the top end was TERRIBLE..... AWD totally slowed it down....

AWD is nice, but my VR4 was unpredictable when you losing traction while cornering....

now I did read about some Bugatti in Motor Trend.... AWD with 1001 HP..... that must be a beefy tranny.....

Brooks

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Speaking from personal experience, a Stealth TT weighs over 4000 lbs with a full tank of gas and a healthy male driver. Not exactly what one is looking for as a track car. And the stability of AWD makes it almost impossible to rotate the car. Not to mention the effect the weight has on brakes and tire wear. An AWD Viper would be right near 4000 lbs too. It would definitely be more stable and easier to drive for converts from underpowered front wheel drive rice burners. While they're at it, Dodge could also put in an automatic transmission and 4-wheel traction control and 4-wheel steering. And why not add a back seat?

I don't think so!

The final verdict: Stealth TT is a great turnpike cruiser. Like most every other car out there, with a sufficient investment in aftermarket mods, it can become as fast as a Viper. But it ain't a Viper, and a bundle of money and all the mods in the world won't make it one! There's nothing like a Viper!

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

snip "A stealth TT with a few mods runs close to a Viper? You must be kidding, right? I had a TT car and NO WAY IT COMES EVEN CLOSE TO MY VIPER!!!!!"

if you want to see what light mods on a Stealth RT TT can do to a viper in a race, go to me web page www.dynamicracing.com go to the race vids page and down load the race with my white 93 RT TT vs the 99 viper at HRP. the car at that time had less than $5000 in mods (and nun of them were NOS) and I smoked that viper by 10 + cars in the 1/4 mile. After driving 980miles to the Track from here with my luggage still in the car (and got kicked off the track for running in the 11's with out a cage.(ran 11.72@115mph letting off at the end hoping not to run a 11 and get kicked off the tack) And thats my slow Stealth.... My 95 can RUN away from my viper even from a roll even with the viper spraying 200 shot of NOS... I hope to get new track times in the 95 this sat, but should be deep into the 10's on 4 nito drags

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep in mind that an AWD system would add mucho $$$ to the cost. At that point a Viper would be closer to the cost of the "P" car than in-between that and a Vett?

One of the PVO engineers has taken and designed a system, but they could never justify the cost. It would take away from what Viper is: A big-block screamer with world class performance at (in it's class) reasonable pricing.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who knows, maybe they are saving it for the "right time" rather than just doing it? Maybe it is for a Dodge super car? Maybe it will show up on a Benz (then they could get their investment back)? Maybe it just does not fit into the Viper Theme?

If you want, we can ask that this be put on the VOI Q&A agenda?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4