flat beded

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I went out for a drive not much going on around town. I was going around 15MPH in light traffic and herd a loud clunk and felt it the car I did not hit anything. Looked over my gauges and everything was normal. Then one minute later my battery light came on and the gauge was dropping then the temperature gauge pegged out. I pulled into a parking lot with no power steering I thought I lost my belt but that wasn’t all the crank balancer fell off. I know that I should have pined it when I put the ROE system on but I could not move the bolt and thought it was secure (NOT). I called a good friend Bob Miller and his crew came out and flat beaded my GTS home. Well the bolt is off now so I can do the job correct this time. So far I have found no damage lucky I was not out playing hard could have been bad news.
:curse:

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you seem to have not damaged anything! All these crank bolts falling out lately is scaring me. Is it something a stock guy like me needs to have pinned?

Yes, they have been known to come loose on stock Vipers too.

OP
OP
G

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started the pin install and will finish it this week when my new low rider floor jack comes in. The job looks very easy the only thing I need is a 250LB torque wrench. When loading the viper up on the flat bed I was heckled by a few slack jawed slackers to go buy a corvette (sucked).
:rolleyes:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is stock and the damper came off.

V10 SpeedLuvr, The pin kit is cheap insurance if the pulley didn't fall off yet.

GTSPOWERED, I also recommend getting a new damper since the softer metal of the old damper would wear off from the harder crank snout.

Chuck Tator is the man that helped me. I definitly will go to him again. :2tu:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL....I JUST went through the EXACT same scenario as you did. My car is N/A though. I torqued the balancer/pulley back on myself. Wasn't too hard (and I have minimal tools, and borrowed the big torque-wrench/socket from a buddy).

It's pretty scary when that happens, but all in all, the failure is pretty innocuous.

OP
OP
G

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you torque the bolt back down what strength of lock tight should I use?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the pin issue only on gen2 or is it also a gen3 issue too?

I was told that it was actually more common in Gen III Vipers. IMHO, this should have been a factory recall and updated engines should be keyed or pinned at the factory. I have been told that if any damper comes off when going fast that it could go through the hood or roll off and hit something.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the pin issue only on gen2 or is it also a gen3 issue too?

I was told that it was actually more common in Gen III Vipers. IMHO, this should have been a factory recall and updated engines should be keyed or pinned at the factory. I have been told that if any damper comes off when going fast that it could go through the hood or roll off and hit something.

That's what I was thinking...How is this not a TSB with as potentially dangerous as it is. Loss of power steering, cooling, alternator...that's not a small thing.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure as soon as someone loses steering and kills someone it will become a TSB. Recalls cost hundreds of millions, death lawsuits are much cheaper. Brutal & honest.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by a Viper tech that there WAS a recall (or TSB) on crankshaft bolts on Gen 3's because he had watched a couple be done. But this is also the Viper tech who told me he was "scared" to work on Vipers, so who knows how reliable he is!?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery