For $58K which one would you buy?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for another Viper and am not quite ready to shell out the bucks for a new FE. I have located an 02 FE 1 owner 3K miles and an 03 Black SRT-10 1 owner with 1200 miles. Both can be had for $58K. What would you do?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No other car will ever pull me away from my GTS, but that's just me. I know a lot of owners like the GenIII more because its performance and refinement is a little better. If you ask 10 people on this site the same question, you'll get 10 different answers. They are both great cars, which one do YOU want?

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am partial to the SRT-10, being a new owner myself. However, It was the 02 FE that first drew me to the Viper. It's basically a toss up, heads or tails, either way, you win! They are both great Vipers!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your not sure I'd say the GTS. Get it out of your system because the SRT's are the future and you'll probably buy one soon enough.

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$58,000 for the 03 is too much money.. you can get a very low mileage 04 for that, or a new 05 for not too much more..

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is said to be easier to drive, more refined interior design and comfort. However there is more downside on the financial side than the GTS.
The GTS has seen most of it's depreciation and should retain a greater percentag of it's value than the SRT. The GTS design is a real head turner. Nothing will match the panache of a GTS. It's a tough call but I would lean toward the FE GTS.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its like getting anything else
Why would you get an old tv, computer or espically car!!!!

vd...

Tell that to the people at Barrett-Jackson, or any other classic car auction.

Looks like GTS prices and are starting to eclipse SRT prices. Not only is that FE a year older, but it also has nearly three times the miles as well. Perhaps its unsurpassed styling is the reason why:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

8526DSC00634-med.JPG

8526Viperfront-med.jpg

Good luck with your decision. Both are great cars and you'll definitely have a lot of fun with either of them.
:nana:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the convertible... You already experienced the coupe, who knows, you might like the open air... :2tu:

JBS99HT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get an 1200 mile 04 for 58k? where? The SRT is priced a lot better than the GTS in IMHO. I keep hearing of SRT's with that kind of mileage in the mid 50's, but those are exceptions rather than the norm. Both great cars, follow your 1st instinct.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been looking for another Viper and am not quite ready to shell out the bucks for a new FE. I have located an 02 FE 1 owner 3K miles and an 03 Black SRT-10 1 owner with 1200 miles. Both can be had for $58K. What would you do?

Your answers will depend on which forum you ask in. Here in the SRT forum, the answer is more likely the SRT. I looked at the FE, which seemed to be basically an updated version of my 96, with power windows, door locks, etc.
You do get ABS which helps, but the FE I believe still has the wheel lock up under hard braking (best to ask the GEN II people if this is correct).

Certainly the braking of the SRT can't be beat. The seats are better. The power is a bit more, but the gearing is fairly tame so the difference isn't notable until you take out the four cats, put in two, get a K&N kit and it will breathe a bit better.

If you want a full convertible (which is my issue) then there is no competition for the SRT. (well.... for me maybe a Ferrari)

Otherwise, you may choose to go with the FE, as being the more aggressive LOOKING car, with more of the earlier GEN I audacity of personality. A bit "PURER" to the bad boy Harley Davidson (not Hayabusa or GSXR 1000) genetics.

My final vote: SRT is the better car. FE is the better looking car.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$58,000 for the 03 is too much money.. you can get a very low mileage 04 for that, or a new 05 for not too much more..

Not from what I've seen, and I was in the market until just recently and Achilles on here is currently in the market and been monitoring prices very closely, which have been rising!

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy mine for 58k:) ive got 13k miles, but have Motons AND 19/20 HREs!!

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive got a 04 red SRT Ill sell for $58,000. It has 11,000 on the clock. Tires are still like new.

Reaction score
I'm here...............
Since my Race Deck floors are YELLOW and ALLOY (silver) checkerboard, and I already have a 2005 YELLOW SRT, if someone is desperate to unload their newer SILVER SRT w/low miles, I will buy it to match my garage floors (wife can drive it), let me know.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both. If you had a GTS, get an SRT for something different. I would say the looks of the car are about even, with the SRT a better driving car. I have been amazed that my friends/neighbors etc almost all have prefered the looks of the SRT. Call Bill Pemberton.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got both. I honestly can't give you an answer. The SRT is by far such a superior car in how it drives, handles, A/C,, etc. It's also very deceiving on how fast it is....

I would go with an SRT-10 if you ask me. But .. what do I know... The drive superiority of the SRT10 just wins out. As far as looks go, the SRT really does get a LOT Of thumbs up, looks, etc. More than you might think..

G

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not trade my FE for an 03 SRT, would not even think about it. Take that for what it's worth.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
GTS, and I have one of each.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to agree with a fellow New Jersey person (JBS99HT) on this one. I think that the black SRT 10 (Model Year 2003) would be the better purchase. If you like both cars equally (styling), then the SRT 10 offers the advantages of being a convert. as well as the performance. Either way, both are excellent cars.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS wins in investment/looks/gawk factor. The SRT wins in performance/top down driving. You ask this same question on the Gen 2 forum they will laugh you out of the place. LOL Good luck!!!