For the Ride of Your Life...GET NITROUS

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from the first drive in my BTR Viper nitrous equipped GTS. It is aboslutely AWESOME!! I've never experienced such a rush in my life!

I tested it on the on ramp of the local Interstate...the wheels were spinning through the first three gears! When it grabbed in fourth, I felt like I was in a space shuttle launch. The car seems as though it's 3 times faster than it was before.

I may have it dynoed this weekend and if it doesn't rain, I'll post the results. You guys gotta try out nitrous...it's inexpensive and harmless to the stock Viper engine. You don't know what you're missing!!!

Tim

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope u take it to the track and post your results.I have a 99r/t.Used to street race in the 80's,with a duel nitrous set up on 455sd trans am.unbeatable ,at the time.11.60's on 70 series,with medical grade nitrous,the best!PS also blew a few head gaskets,hoods off.

DRYVEM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying your new nitrous,is this the first time you have driven a car on the bottle? Would like to know how hard the kit was to install and where you routed lines etc.
Good luck and leave some tread on your tires,you may have to stop at the end of the run.
You must be registered for see images

Btw tooofst---- Do you still have your Super-Duty? If so , I'd love to see a pic. of it,one of my favorites! Mine will only do 13.20 {stock)

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once Bottle Feed, You'll Never be Wined

cmfwaic

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be very interested in seeing your dyno results. Make sure you do and air/fuel ratio measurement while on the dyno and get the prinouts with the ratio in it. Use the air fuel monitor that plugs into an O2 sensor, not the one they stick up the tailpipe too.
Thanks and have fun!

OP
OP
S

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRYVEM,

This was the first time I've driven the car on the bottle. I can't wait to try it out with my Purner slicks/skinnies...
I had my Dodge dealership do the install..I'm good friends with the Viper Tech there. They did a very high quality job, but I think they charged me too much money...it was thier first nitrous install, so it took them longer than they expected.

Unfortunately, I was expecting to dyno the car on Sunday, but they're calling for rain. Hopefully this weather clears up!

Tim

Reaction score
It's not really accurate to say that it's "harmless" to a stock Viper engine. Adding 200hp to any engine can present problems, two of them being engine parts strength and tuning. It's _absolutely critical_ to have enough fuel delivery under WOT (wide open throttle) and enough spark. Plug health should be monitored regularly, and they should be replaced every 10k miles at the most. (Plugs are cheap, after all.) Inspecting the plugs is one of the best insights into what's going on in the motor.
You absolutely need to get it on the dyno and measure the air/fuel ratio throughout the rpm range. Too lean, and there can be _serious_ consequences, especially with hypereutectic pistons. (While very strong, they're more prone to stress cracking vs. cast pistons when exposed to detonation.)
We're finishing up the BTR nitrous/propane installation on Ben's '01 RT/10 and will (hopefully) be dynoing the car on our Dynojet tomorrow. I'm sure he'll post all the results.
As far as installation goes, it's not simple, and we did have to figure out some things for ourselves. It helps having a full barrage of machinery to fabricate what we need! If the kit performs as Tom at BTR says, it will be one hell of a ride!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,

For the record Ben's Nitrous Kit is a custom Piece that we put together due to parts shortages over the holidays for the regular kit. It does have the potential to develope even more power than our standard kit.

We also will be dynoing one on Monday with a similiar combination to Ben's and will post our findings. Both kits will have a higher capacity of propane injection which should give a more tunable a/f ratio.

I will keep everyone posted.

Tom

Http://btrviper.com

Reaction score
10,000 miles to change spark plugs? With running nitrous check them after every session of driving the car. We change our plugs every time the car is used with the gas. Also we have found out that a colder plug responds better with nitrous, but gets cranky on the motor.

Reaction score
I said 10k miles _at most_. The safest thing is to check/replace them after every run with the nitrous, but that's not always the most practical. With as much hp as the nitrous will make, it's cheap insurance to check the plugs on a regular basis.
Albert, as far as plugs, are you using the NGK FR5-1?

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't Sean's Vec 1 help a Nitrous car greatly? You can richen the mixture at WOT, adjust the advance and monitor what is actually going on when driving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32