Forgeline VRs (photos)

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is far and away the most appealing mod I've ever made to a car:

You must be registered for see images

(note the stagger)

(those 19-inchers dwarf the brakes, can you tell there are only two wheels on this car?)

(Nice fender gap, huh? -- I kinda like the levitation myself)

I'm still working on the brakes for Thunderhill next weekend hence the jackstands. You can't really see the stripes, but the silver wheel paint compliments the wheels better than the BBS rims.

While the attention to manufacturing and finish rate waaayyy up there, the most impressive detail IMHO is the way the tires line-up with the fenders (as sighted along the body). Of course the suspension is unloaded, but we're talking dead nuts with the fenders -- the way God meant performance cars to look. I can't say how happy I am Forgeline took the time to work this out.

To address the questions from earlier:

Weight: (from the high-precision $15 bathroom scale, granularity to the nearest 2 lbs):

Stock ACR BBS, 2.2K mi, Front with 275/35/18 pilot sport - 50 lbs
Stock ACR BBS, 2.2K mi, Rear with 335/30/18 pilot sport - 58 lbs

ForgelineVR, Front with 295/35/19 pilot sport - 51 lbs
ForgelineVR, Rear with 345/30/19 pilot sport - 57 lbs

Cost: Irresponsible

Duct tape: Racer poser - installed by the dealer
clown.gif

Selling BBS/ACR rims: I suppose I would if the price was right, if not I'll use them as track wheels.

I'll wait a couple of weeks to install them perminently and have the lips buffed-out in the meantime. I can't say how happy I am to have finally found a set of 6-lug, 1pc aftermarket wheels that really compliment the car.

Did I mention they're a whole lot easier to clean?
bounce.gif

Eric

Jerry Horton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, I have been looking at getting new wheels for my GTS, but do not like the way the three-piece wheels look. The HRE's look nice, but their 19's look the same or smaller than the stock GTS and the stock ACR wheels. I am really liking the looks of those Forgelines. I can't wait to see it when the car is sitting on the ground. Thanks for posting pictures.

CNTW84U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, those rims are sweet!! I'm looking at
a set of HRE 541's, but know I need to
look the other way. Price??
Can you hook me up with the dealer?
Bob

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Eric, some of the nicest rims I've ever seen. Good choice. Please remember to post pics when you have her on the ground. The wheel well curiosity is killing me.

The cost of the rims aren't any more irresponsible than the car in the first place. Enjoy it.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eric

Are those the wheels that archer was selling at Thunderhill's Viper Days? If so I understand your comment on price. Very nice! I was looking at those wheels but couldn't justify the cost (actually couldn't afford cost). They sure would look good on a red w/silver stripe car though.

Good luck at Thunderhill, what event is it. I'm thinking of doing the Northern California Racing Club event in June, have you looked into that one?

Brad

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry Horton wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>. . . do not like the way the three-piece wheels look.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't agree more Jerry. There is a certain busy-ness/distraction to all those bolt heads around the perimeter. Some love them, but they aren't my taste.

Bob wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Can you hook me up with the dealer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.bobbyarchermotorsports.com/

Brad wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Are those the wheels that archer was selling at Thunderhill's Viper Days? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same. I really debated buying them at the track. I shopped for a while to see if I could find anyone, anywhere who could do a better deal on them. Wasn't to be had. Then I found out my tax bill was smaller than I estimated. Bonus! Time for some new wheels. . .

Next weekend's event is with the NorCal Shelby Club. They are my 'home' club from my cobra days, and a really good bunch of guys all.

What are the details on the Racing League? Do you have a link?

If you're interested in driving Laguna (a lot closer to Fresno than Thill), you ought to hook-up with GreenFlag (www.greenflagdriving.org). They are running over memorial day and the Shelby club has the track the friday before. I've shamelessly signed up for 3 days of Laguna in late May
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments all.
Eric

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad,

Thanks for the link. I've never been much for those mid-week events; track time shouldn't be sandwiched mid-week, IMHO. I know a lot of these guys offer a ton of track time, and I guess if you're a real track-rat who stores their car "ready to drive" then fine. But in my case, with dragging out the trailer, car prep, drive time, etc the last thing I want to is turn around and come home after just a day. Sign up for Laguna over memorial day and see if you don't agree.

I was actually looking at going to Watkins Glen in Sept with the TrackQuest guys. Interested?

Eric

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those rims/tires sure do look nice. I really like those front tires, the 295's seem just right. The 315's that some uses look a bit odd because they stick out the fender too far IMHO

Couple of thoughts.

Are they taller than the stock tires? From my calculations your new 19" tires are 27.1" tall compared to the stock 26" this would raise the car 1/2" higher off the ground. Did you or can you check the height of the tires? I know the published size doesn't always match the actual size.

If the tires are larger can someone calculate the new relative rear axle ratio from 3.07 to what?? maybe 2.95?? some more gear may be needed to compensate.

Lowering the car 1" would actually only lower it 1/2" if the new tires raised the car 1/2" It would probably look real good lowered and have even less gap in the fender well.

Are those one-off Pilots? Might they just decide not to make that size again because of the low demand, then you get stuck with 19" rims and no tires to fit.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Tire Rack carries them -- how do you define one-off?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I meant was they could just make say 100 sets of tires all at the same time in that size, specifically for those rims. Then 2 years from now when you need new tires you'll find they've discontinued that size and will not make any more. As opposed to a regular size like 335/35/R17 which they continually make ever month, so there are no worries about getting replacement tires years from now.

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>don't you need to drop down the tire profile to make sure the tires don't rub?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I suppose you could. . ., if they made a 25 series profile in a 19" 335 or 345 tire -- there aren't too many choices when you get up into these extremes.

(The beauty of the ACR, is you can adjust ride heights relatively easily -- but I imagine there will be some trial-and-error to get her dialed-in.)

Eric

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Are they taller than the stock tires? From my calculations your new 19" tires are 27.1" tall compared to the stock 26" this would raise the car 1/2" higher off the ground. Did you or can you check the height of the tires? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>True. 1/2" ride height difference is about right or about 1" in diameter. IMHO, the downside is a) they will take a tad longer to spin up (but with 500ft lbs, who cares? I don't drag race so it's not a big deal to me), and b) the speedometer is off by 5% or, 3mph at 60, 4mph at 80. Thats an "aw shucks" I can live with. Ride height will be adjusted 3/4-1" once I get them on full time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Are those one-off Pilots? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tire Rack carries them -- how do you define one-off?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Might they just decide not to make that size again because of the low demand, then you get stuck with 19" rims and no tires to fit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think this is doubtful, the trend is towards larger wheel diameters. And with the plethora of 400+HP cars coming out the next few years, I don't see high end tires getting narrower any time soon.

Eric

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MtHam ACR:
(Nice fender gap, huh? -- I kinda like the levitation myself)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I opened the thread and looked at the pic my very first thoughts were "Why the **** would anyone make a Pike's Peak Version of the ACR, and not only that, why the ****(squared) would they put such cool rims on it? (Oh they do look really cool)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas