forgeline wheels

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my Forgelines developed a crack in the seam. I've heard about other Forgelines cracking also. I switched to Purner's and like them alot!

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgeline would not replace the rim. Here is a pic of my Forgelines

You must be registered for see images

Here is a pic of the Purners...
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Stoptechs work very well. Big improvement over stock. So far I have only run them at Sebring but the difference was tremendous. In Viper Days events there is only one point assessed for Stoptech as opposed to other systems.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to offer a different opinion on Forgelines. We run 5 spoke Forgeline's on both of our cars. Both are run in Viper Days. We have been very happy with the wheels and the support that we get from Forgeline.

The open spoke design combined of the Forgeline 5 spoke helps with air flow through the wheel, aiding in cooling the brakes. We believe that the 5 spoke design offers significantly more airflow than a lace or mesh center wheel design. The difference is area for air flow is clearly visible in Chuck's pictures.

The forged center combined with the welded wheel construction also helps cool the brakes by providing a better thermal path to conduct heat away from the center hub. Our Forgeline wheels get noticably hotter than the stock ones - this is due to the improved thermal conductivity of the wheel. This helps remove heat from the brakes and wheel hubs.

Forgeline has improved the design of the wheels to improve the strength of the center section. There have been at least 2 design changes that I am aware of. The most recent one is due to feedback from racers who had been running Forgelines for several years. We should realize that any aluminum wheel is a compromise betwen fatigue life and light weight. Any aluminum wheel that is loaded as heavily as racing does has a fatigue life that determines how long it can safely be run. And the lighter the wheel the shorter the fatigue life....

So while I don't know the particulars of Chuck's wheels I do know our experience both with the wheels and the support that we have received from Forgeline. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone, particularly someone particularly interested in maximum track performance.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're looking for real advice on racing wheels, why not call a real racer? Bobby Archer (817-877-1772) would be happy to tell you about our (ViperSpeed Racing) experiences with Forgelines. We have run them for four years now in Speedvision GT and SCCA T1 and have been very happy with the wheels and with Forgeline's support. Henry is right on with his comments about brake cooling and lightweight v. fatigue strength, but don't take it from me - ask the real racer (Archer).

Rich

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points made by Henry (brake cooling) and Rich (proven race team). However, I'll stick with my Purner's. You can't beat the cost and from what I've been told most are running them at Viper Days. When I was at the 24 hours at Daytona earlier this year I took notice of the wheel styles. Most had Purner type - I don't know what you call them, spider webs? Anybody?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no experience with Forgeline wheels, but have many friends who have all had negative experiences. They have all cracked at the seams or other areas. I have Purner's wheels and they are great. Strong and light weight. I have never heard of a problem with them either.

In addition, I have the Stop Tech four wheel brake kit on my car after a terrible mess with Sean Roe's brake kit. Stop Tech brakes are incredable! I ran a 16 lap race and never experienced brake fade. Awesome!