Four Post Lifts, who owns a "Direct Lift" brand?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to buy one or two lifts for car storage and a little service work. Who here owns a "Direct Lift" four post lift and what do you think about it? Detailed opinions about build quality and operation would be great, especially if you've had one for a while.

I'm trying to decide between Direct Lift and BendPak....both are made in China but the Direct Lift is a little better value and includes drip pans, casters and jacking plate as standard. I need a lift with at least 80" of under runway height so we can do day to day work around the unit without bumping our heads.

Thanks in advance,
George

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a Commerical Grade Rotary...expensive but my ass is under it...along with some expensive cars. Hey George-you still need to see my shop to get some ideas of what "not to do"!Brian

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Hope you had a good Xmas. Yes, I do need to come up and we need to get together. Hey, if weather is good, January 3rd has bracket drags out at Infineon....why don't you bring one of your beasts and have some fun?

Is your Rotary 2 or 4 post? I talked to the local dealer for them and he informs me that the 4 post Rotary he sells is made in China also. I need a moveable unit on casters since we need to move it around the warehouse from time to time.

Let me know.

George

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep my RT on the bottom and I trust my Rotary 100% . Remember...You get what you pay for!
Make sure you find out if the ramps are long enough or rails set low to the ground so you dont scrape pulling on to the lift.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently got my Direct Lift Pro-Park 9 Plus put together. I haven't gotten a chance to put the viper on it yet...I'm working on raising the garage door tracks and installing a new opener. It's very heavy duty...weighs 2,300 lbs. I'm happy with it, but I haven't put it through the ringer yet.

I did a lot of research before I purchased it...see this post...Anyone have a Lift King lift? post #16 from this thread...Anyone have a Lift King lift?

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Hope you had a good Xmas. Yes, I do need to come up and we need to get together. Hey, if weather is good, January 3rd has bracket drags out at Infineon....why don't you bring one of your beasts and have some fun?

Is your Rotary 2 or 4 post? I talked to the local dealer for them and he informs me that the 4 post Rotary he sells is made in China also. I need a moveable unit on casters since we need to move it around the warehouse from time to time.

Let me know.

George

Hey there, the Rotary I have is the commerical line-same as you find in car dealships-and is a4 post. I also have a 2 post here at the house as well. No, it does not move around(bolted down) and is 220v...and built like a tank. I have had it for 13 years with zero problems-in fact it was in my warehouse until 2000 when I moved it to my present house. It is 100% made in the USA-the home versions (Revolution?)-I saw them at SEMA last month, are made in China but have some nice features.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my Backyard Buddy.

I've read a lot of posts from owners about how they like the Backyard Buddy. I was put off by their website...there's a video that sings their praises and points out the 'flaws' of an unnamed lift and a Direct-Lift. The sales manager in the video is so freaking obnoxious...reminds me of the old 'used car salesman' mentality. The video actually has 3 places where the audio was cut off where he was obviously bad-mouthing the competition...I'm assuming he was stating total falsehoods or they wouldn't have cut off the audio. There is also a side by side comparision that is depicted in the same manner...it pretty much says that the Backyard Buddy is the greatest and that all competitors are crap. I just don't like that type of advertising.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Direct Lift for the last year. Assembled and installed it myself. No problems with it at all. I have the 110V version, so it is slower than the 220V versions going up, but I am in no hurry when lifting a Viper. I use it for maintenance, mods, and storing 2 Vipers in one garage space, so there is always a car on the lift 24/7. Mine is the 8000 lb model. The casters work well to move the lift around. Mine is not bolted down either. I would suggest it for the price, it is certified to American lift certifications, but made in China.

Attachments

• viper 003.jpg
    viper 003.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CY-Tech Double Park -- Made right here in America.
You could not get me under a chinese one. Do you turn bolts with Chinese or Tawain made wrenches? I prefer to save my knuckles.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, especially on the Direct Lifts. Four of the "must have" options for me is 9000 lb capacity (have large SUV's), extra wide (have an H1 to deal with), minimum 79" of runway clearance and moveable on casters. Don't care if it's lever action or air actuated lock releases.

I really would prefer to buy a USA (or Canadian) made lift, but I want a reputable local dealer to install and service it. Most USA built units are from the Mid West or back East...so between the cost of the lift and shipping, the costs get very high very quickly for pretty much what will be for me a parking storage lift. Plus, they have no representation in Nor Cal that I can find for a unit with the specs I need.

Most USA commercial units don't go high enough and are more for shop use where the cars are being serviced, not stored. They may go up and down 20 times a day. My lift might go up and down 10 times a month.

Rotary, BendPak, etc pretty much have their lifts built in China for the market and type of lift that I'm looking for. I won't pay $1000.00 or more for a identical Chinese lift with a different decal on it. If there are appreciable quality and design upgrades then I'm in, but from what I've found most are identical lifts with different labels.

I haven't found any accidents caused by any lift in the market I'm looking for that doesn't seem a little questionable(human error very common). With the internet, I promise you the first time a Ferrari or Viper crashes to the ground on a lift, we'd see plenty of pics and info on it. Thankfully, up to now that has not been a problem from my research.

Keep the opinions coming.

Cheers,
George

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, I have a friend here in Scaramento who had a Shelby Trans Am Car (yes very rare 1966 car) have a lift collapse about 7 years ago when it was on it-it was an early Chinese made lift. The US company who sold it made it right-I think there was around $30K in damage to the race car-but the scary part was that his brother barely missed being crushed by the car when it failed-and there was no human error than buying the thing. Like I said, my or my kids ass might be under it-so both of mine are US built. That said, the new one form overseas look pretty decent. Here is the test I did when I went shopping-put a car on it and see if you are able to shake it and move-neither one of mine move at all when up in the air and a car is on it-and some of the ones I looked at swayed!

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most things, it's "different strokes for different folks". I have a Direct Lift, going on 4 years, and am very satisfied with it. Mine is bolted down, and I primarily use it for storage, with occasional oil changes and minor maintenance. I had it professionally installed, and the installers commented on how well made it was (they compared it favorablly over the Bend-Pak). For me it's a great value, and I would not hesitate to buy another. That said, I would not be comfortable with it not bolted down, so if your're going to be using the casters a lot, that is something to think about. When I want to use the casters, I remove the nuts, attach the casters, and they will raise the posts up off the bolts as you lower the lift. To bolt back down, I position the lift back over the bolts, and as I raise the lift, the posts will lower back over the bolts. The hardest part is postioning the lift so that all the posts are correctly aligned over the bolts. I've done it, and it's not that bad, but something I would not want to do on a regular basis. Also, mine is the ProPark 7000 (an older version), and the highest lock is at 70" (not the 80" you need). Newer versons may be different. Hope this helps.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric,

Rovvee and Vippee?. Baaaahaaahaaaa:rolaugh:

Is the ACR gonna be "Greenee"?:)

She got to name her RR and the GTS because she bought it. I named the ACR and my truck. The ACR will be named Green Machine, after my favorite thing as a kid, the real Green Machine big wheel..... :D

Back to the lift, mine is not bolted down and never moves when I drive onto it. As said above, it weighs a ton! Putting it together was a weight lifting experience. I am a mechanical engineer and believe the Direct Lift is well built and designed, if I didn't I wouldn't have the Vipers on it. :)

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a two post direct lift for the last 6 mos and I am very happy with it, installed it myself also.

I use it for anything from maintenance to full builds, motor swaps, turbo builds, etc, etc... :D

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Direct Lift for the last year. Assembled and installed it myself. No problems with it at all. I have the 110V version, so it is slower than the 220V versions going up, but I am in no hurry when lifting a Viper. I use it for maintenance, mods, and storing 2 Vipers in one garage space, so there is always a car on the lift 24/7. Mine is the 8000 lb model. The casters work well to move the lift around. Mine is not bolted down either. I would suggest it for the price, it is certified to American lift certifications, but made in China.

It may be just the photo ,but you lift does not look Level...the left looks lower. when raising all 4 locks should click at the same time. put a level on the rear beam and check it.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's mine. Have it for over a year now and love it. I park the Yukon XL and X5 under it. It is the Propark 8. My F250 will not fit on it. Should have got the Propark 9. I will get the two post from them next time.....
Four post Lift.jpg (91.6 KB)

Attachments

• Four post Lift.jpg
    Four post Lift.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 57

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the ProPark 7 for 6 years, no issues, it's great. I later bought the light weight ramps, worth while option. especially when the steel ones hit your toes! I needed the lift as I have a small 2 car garage, if I had the room I'd go for a single post lift so that you can work on the wheels. My local dealer is great.

garage_5.JPG

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a ProPark 7 for two years now, no problems except oil leaking from the hydraulic cylinder (very little though). Assembled and installed it myself with the help of a friend in a few hours. Be aware though that people will want to visit you for oil changes. ;-)

banshe302

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Back yard Buddy all the way if you are working on the lift you need it to be sturdy and if you notice how the arm rides on the 4 posts the back yard buddies arm wraps around a solid post rather than the arm ridding inside a post that was cut and bent it creates a hinged weak point if you are working on the car this is asking for trouble if you are using it just as storage ok think about it BACK YARD BUDDY BUILT IN AMERICA FOr ANAMERICAN CAR

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm happy with my Pro-Park 9. Heavy duty, safe and priced right. I ordered the 110 volt pump so I wouldn't need to do any rewiring in the shop, also got the jack the goes between the runners. I've had my Suburban and my Ram 2500 diesel on it and lifts it with no problem. I got the Pro-Park 9 so if I ever get another dually I will be able to lift it. I ordered on a Mon. and it was here on Wed., same day shipping.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be just the photo ,but you lift does not look Level...the left looks lower. when raising all 4 locks should click at the same time. put a level on the rear beam and check it.

It is the photo, I leveled it cables only then locks only with a 4' level per the instructions. All 4 locks click at the same time. Leveling it out takes as long as the assembly! :) Thank you for looking out for my babies! :D

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of us did a group VCA buy on the Complete Hydraulics model a few years ago. Similar/identical to some of the already mentioned 4 post lifts. The VCA price was $1499.00. I can't recall if shipping was included. Freight dropped at R&L shipping dock. Had to pick it up with a trailer. Installed myself in a day. 4 Post Lifts | CL 8,000 CSP 8,000 LB. Four Post Vehicle / Automotive / Truck / Car Garage Lift (Portable)
So far I have had zero issues with it...and the neighbors do like to change their oil more often now!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the photo, I leveled it cables only then locks only with a 4' level per the instructions. All 4 locks click at the same time. Leveling it out takes as long as the assembly! :) Thank you for looking out for my babies! :D

On the subject of levelling the lift:
My garage floor has cracked since it's been poured due to the expansion from temperature extremes here, theres no danger as there is plenty of rebar in it.(Temperature goes from -40F in winter to 104F in the summer)

Anyway, I move the lift around quite a bit. From the side in the picture, where it stays during storage, to the center of the garage for big projects, to turning it 90 degrees and pushing it to the back left corner during the summer. Every position on there floor has different elevations. Therefore, every time I move it I level it again. Sometimes only a half an inch, sometimes an inch and a half.

Small price to pay for the mobility.
Believe it or not, once you get used to it, it can be levelled fairly quickly. Takes me no more than a few minutes, as I measure off of the locks and not the floor, nor do I use a level, as my floor is not level to begin with.:cool: