Front license plate in Texas?

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am relocating to Houston at the end of the month. It appears that a front tag is required here. Ugly as this is going to be, I guess there is no choice. Anyone know where I can get the bracket and could someone post a pic?
Thanks, Rick

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They require front plates here in IL too. NO WAY am I drilling holes in my nose to mount the factory bracket - would rather pay the ticket. An aftermarket bracket is available, but looks so wrong on these cars in my opinion. I pass on that one too. In two years, not once have I been stopped or given a ticket - and I have gone through a number of seat belt check / road blocks. (Knocking on wood). My 0.02.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to look up the law yourself. I was told we had a front plate law here in NH. I have yet to find anything that says you have to mount a plate on the front bumper. We are issued two plates. To cover myself, I carry it in the car. If pulled over, I will place on the dash.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm moving to Houston this month; I will have a mason jar on top of the fridge into which I will routinely insert $20 weekly.

It will be my designated ticket fund.

If & when I get a ticket, I will use the fund to pay the ticket.

Routinely, and without exception.

Good Lord willing and if the creek don't rise (e.g. no tickets), I'll have some "unaccounted for" play dough.

I will never put a front plate on my car, and will tell the law enforcement personnel the same. Then I'll tell them to have an nice day.

JeffM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of now, you have to have a front plate in TX. However, recent legislation passed and effective Sept. 1st (or 31st..cant remember which) you DO NOT have to have a front plate.

I have never had a front license plate here in TX and never got pulled over for it.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since 1995 and I have never been issued a ticket. I have had several occasions when I have been pulled over by a police officer for some other "minor infraction" and the officer never even has mentioned the fact that there is no front plate.

Now, you may run into the few fanatical officers out there who make it their mission in life to catch the criminal element who dares flaunt the front license plate law.

Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The front plate is A LAW but is pretty much un enforced.

BUT they WILL use it as a random reason to pull u over, and at airports u will be stopped and ticketed. At least in Houston and in Austin.. I train alot of officers in Kickboxing, and its something i have always asked them.

Alot of cars are coming without front plates, and so it isnt that big of a deal here in TX.

just carry it in your back seat and if need be, slide it up in the dash ...

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got pulled over in my Viper about 2 years ago for speeding. 72 in a 60mph. I had just been going much faster than that around a curve so I felt relieved if you could believe it.

After careful inspection the officer who was actually quite polite noticed the front license plate was not there. He told me I needed to have it there per state law. Didn't make a big deal out it.

I drove my daughters BMW 328 which is white with a black trim on the bumper with no license plate. I had just gotten the car from an out of state owner and had not gotten the hardware yet. With that color combination, no license plate is pretty obvious.

You must be registered for see images

The Viper without a front license plate is not near as obvious.

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you can get a ticket for it. Trust me it's $150. Pulled over for it in San Antonio while doing the speed limit. I was wearing a suit on my way to a wedding. The cop was giving them to everyone, so I was told by the judge.

The TX legislation DID NOT pass. I have followed up on this, as I was told it had and was sent a copy of it, but it did not. :(

My current trick (Thanks JonB) is a removable rubber mount license plate holder (around $50). I keep the plate mounted to it in the trunk. The next time I get pulled over I will try the "oops I took it off to wash the car and forgot to put it back on. I can put it on now and make you happy officer." Luckily haven't had to try the line yet.

Welcome to TX :2tu:

JeffM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn...I thought that law passed. That kinda sux. I still wont use one. :laugh:

FE+ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wife was pulled over in our M3 about 3 years ago. The cop issued her a warning, saying if he saw her again without it, he'd ticket her. We never put it on, and none of our cars since have had one....no problems so far.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is also required here in Jersey but to save me the trouble I bought one in partsrack like RoadKing. It only takes seconds to put it ON or remove. Much cheaper than the ticket. Just my .02 cents.

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have lived in Texas for 11 years. I have only been pulled over once for no front plate. It was between Dallas and Waco on the way home from the annual OU spanking of Texas in football. I got off with a warning. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PUTTING A FRONT PLATE ON YOUR VIPER in Texas. It's a non issue.

OP
OP
R

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid when I get my first state inspection it would be a issue. Also speaking of that, I assume high flow cats and B&B exhaust also are a none issue? I guess the last things i need to do are to get a hard top and make sure my a/c is up to par.
Rick

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not having a front plate has never been an issue with the state inspection. The exhaust would depend on who is doing the inspection. Although all they actually do is just check the computer error codes so if you get a modified chip you don't even have to worry about failing that test.

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just typed out a long response about getting pulled over and had it deleted when I tried to preview it. Maybe my computer thought it was boring. Suffice it to say, I got a warning 6 weeks ago in Fort Worth for no front plate. I was in an Infiniti. Since that time, I have been riding around with the plate on the dash, waiting for the new law to take effect in Sept. That's unfortunate to hear that the law is no more.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am relocating to Houston at the end of the month. It appears that a front tag is required here. Ugly as this is going to be, I guess there is no choice. Anyone know where I can get the bracket and could someone post a pic?
Thanks, Rick

Houston cops will pull you over for this. I have been pulled over in my vetts, & once in my viper. It can be really bad if you have had a beer or glass of wine with dinner. They use it as an excuse for pulling you over to see if they can get you for something else. I got tired of worrying about it. Here is mine mounted permanently with Lee Doves bracket, no holes drilled, uses existing holes.

4126ATE-A-V81-med.jpg

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a solution I saw a long time ago. Guy made a duplicate of his TX plate in vinyl so he could stick it to the body. From the side you would not see it. I have no idea if this is legal. And of course the front end of the Viper does not lend itself to the idea as well as the Eclipse.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4