Front plate tastes like spinach??

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard a god awful noise while I was cruising down Lakecity Way Monday and seeing something blue breaking up behind me didn't help the ticker either..

So I stopped and checked out the car at the next street and was unable to determine what I just ran over.. Decided to turn back to look and found my front plate complete with suction cup frame I bought from Woodhouse laying on the street..

The blue color I saw was the plexiglass over the plate.. Just as I was ready to step off the curb to grab it a dumptruck gave the works it final flattening.. Guess the car doesn't want that stinky plate up front after all
smile.gif

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to see if I can get away with putting my plate on the passenger side visor. Did the dropped object cause any damage to the nose?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the front plate!!
It is only an equipment violation here in NYS.
that means IF anyone ever wrote you for it, there would be a $25 fine.
My local PD told me they would never write a front plate ticket.

JIM

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jim is right...

I live in upstate New York as well and since the summer of '94 have driven a '94 RT/10, a '96 GTS and a '99 Prowler and none have had a front plate and no problem! In fact, the first weekend I had the '94 RT/10, it was fourth of July weekend and I was driving over a country road to visit one of my employees and I ran into a roadblock of the NYS Police. Two officers, two cars, one on each side of the road and they waved me to stop. I thought..."why me, why now?" I stopped and all they wanted to do was check out the car as they had never seen one up close. There I was, in the middle of the road, feeling guilty for no reason, concerned another car was going to come along and they were asking questions and chatting. Very friendly and polite and then I went on my way...with much relief! Only time I was ever stopped in any of the three cars. AND WITH NO FRONT PLATE!!! Hope this helps...

Mike
NY/CT VCA

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim and Mike are right...but that may apply only to New York State. Dion, you had better check out exactly what is the violation/penalty in your state. Interesting that there's a suction cup frame out there (I'll check that out - although the experience posted here may be indicative of it's true value).

Anyway, only time I got stopped was just after 9/11 when all the bridges and tunnels here in NYC were "monitored" by dozens of NYPD & National Guard. I got pulled over (NYPD steps out IN FRONT of car with hand up) at the entrance to the Midtown Tunnel (Sunday 9:00 AM - virtually empty roads - heart nearly leaped out of my mouth). NYPD asked about the front plate and I went into the "new car/waiting for dealer to get special bracket" (actual bracket is in trunk) pleading routine and after a few minutes and a half dozen authoritative verbal warnings he gave me the pointed "move on and don't let me catch you here again without your front plate" advisory. Lately the "monitoring" has been significantly reduced - nowadays we're back to just one cop remaining in his car eating donuts.

Been 6 months and 3,000 miles and that was the ONLY time I had a problem with no front plate. My guess is that if you get stopped for speeding the plate violation will be added on.

Just my ,02.

Scott

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes it's an excuse you want. I was pulled over for... um .... probably speeding, and the officer made a big deal about not giving me a ticket for speeding, but did for no front plate. I think that was his way of writing some kind of ticket, but not an expensive one.

Otherwise, have never had a front plate for ~30,000 miles in almost 4 years in New York, and like others, have had lots of opportunities, but never stopped.

OP
OP
D

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up here it's a $73 fine and it's a big deal with the police.. Myself and 2 others got tickets for no front plate last summer.. With this in mind I chose to abide to save time/hassle..

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up here in Ontario we also have that stupid law. What we've done to save the nose of our GTS is that my mom made a pocket out of clear plastic that securely holds the front plate, then attached a piece of soft foam on the back to protect the paint. Finally a strap was sewed on which attaces to the car by wraping around the front facia and holds firm with velcro.

Probably cost about $3.00 and an hours worth of time.

This pic isn't to clear but will have to do, it stays down out of the way and is removable by undoing the 2 velcro straps.
You must be registered for see images

Craig

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig, if you ever get the chance (and the initiative) please post a closer picture of your plate "enclosure". I've planned to cover the back of the plate with some non-abrasive material and affix it (plastic ties perhaps) to the top of the lower spoiler. That would leave the plate somewhat horizontal but debatably lawful. "Planned" being the (non) operative word here. So far so good, but if the violations become too irritating I'll have to experiment and your method may be another viable alternative.

Scott

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, I'll search our pics when I get home this thursday night from university and see what I can come up with. I'm sure I've got some better pics at home of the plate holder.

Craig