FROZEN Cryo Treated Dimpled & Slotted Dodge Viper Disks

LVB4UDI

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So i have been looking for replacement disc brakes (the pads are another story, i already bought those, so i would rather not discuss, because someone is going to say you should go with something else _ LOL:D ) for sometime now and the winter is soon coming for a complete brake overhaul (well at least pads and disc for me). I have read numerous threads that EBAY disc brakes are sometimes just cheap and get stress cracks very quickly...etc, but today i came a cross what i think looks like a solid set of disc for the frt and rear for my 95 RT. My question is what does FROZEN Cryo mean :confused: and from reading the threads it looks like dimpled disc are the preferred way to go. Any advice you guys can give would be a great help.
Thx
JD

Ck out the EBAY link below - plus is this a good deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230170956173

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a great deal...summit racing sells the cragar cryo sets for 319.00 ea set.:headbang:

cryo means they were frozen to very sub zero for a period of time and cooled slowly.it changes something in the molecular properties of the metal to make them harder.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about any rotor with dimples or holes is going to increase the amount of brake dust mucking up your wheels.

Why bother? The 'look' will probably end up being a PIA in the end.

-------------------------------
For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a great deal...summit racing sells the cragar cryo sets for 319.00 ea set.:headbang:
cryo means they were frozen to very sub zero for a period of time and cooled slowly.it changes something in the molecular properties of the metal to make them harder.

Thank you for the explanation: I knew cryo meant frozen, but didn't know WHY they'd freeze the metal, you mean then 'warmed' slowly? ~juli

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation: I knew cryo meant frozen, but didn't know WHY they'd freeze the metal, you mean then 'warmed' slowly? ~juli

Jules, there we go thinking alike again. Yeah, frozen and then cooled slowly? Even after trying to figure out if breasts weigh 20 pounds each or 20 pounds a pair, I still caught that.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just about any rotor with dimples or holes is going to increase the amount of brake dust mucking up your wheels.

Why bother? The 'look' will probably end up being a PIA in the end.

For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

I will have to disagree on the dust thing.I was running ebc greenstuff pads on these rotors on my srt-10 qc ram and had minimal dust.:dunno:
and the fade went bye bye i guess do to good cooling.:D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jules, there we go thinking alike again. Yeah, frozen and then cooled slowly? Even after trying to figure out if breasts weigh 20 pounds each or 20 pounds a pair, I still caught that.

Good Gosh, Dave--we do this alot, don't we??? YOU however, are able to use humor so easily...wish I had that gift!~! ~juli
(NOOOO, not 20lbs. each!!!~~~OUCH and double-OUCH!!! ;) )

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Gosh, Dave--we do this alot, don't we??? YOU however, are able to use humor so easily...wish I had that gift!~! ~juli
(NOOOO, not 20lbs. each!!!~~~OUCH and double-OUCH!!! ;) )

I know what ya mean juli...i unfortunatly have to carry on load of 20lbs all the time...what a beeoch.:D

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at this link. It gives a good overview of cryogenic treatment of steel. I'd be real careful about buying rotors of unknown origin, and treated "cryogenically" by ???? by what process. If you start with poor steel, or do improper thermal treatment, you could end up with no brakes in a Viper. That would be bad.

http://www.metalscience.com/techinfo_ASM.php

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to disagree on the dust thing.I was running ebc greenstuff pads on these rotors on my srt-10 qc ram and had minimal dust.:dunno:
and the fade went bye bye i guess do to good cooling.:D

Okay, I was just going on what a Z06 owner told me a few weeks ago about his new dimpled and slotted rotors adding more brake dust to his wheels.

:D

For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the EBC dimpled/slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads and I have almost zero dust, so I don't think that is a major concern.

Personally, I'd go with something like the EBC rotor if this is the setup you want as it is known quality and is black zinc coated so you don't need to worry about brake cleaner washing the paint off as in this ad. They run about $450 from places like PartsRack.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing you did wrong was listen to a Corvette owner. :nono: They are like Army recruiters, and you should understand that if their mouth is moving...they're lying.

Just kidding. I called JonB, and he gave me a great deal on pads and rotors. I got slotted, coated and drilled rotors, and after I finished seating the pads I noticed very little dust.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:)

Well I have read some things about edges on slots and dimples becoming a nice little pad slicer if not finished correctly. Some say regardless they wear away at the pads.

Glad to see Viper feedback is contrary

For sale:
Chrome ACR wheels
New SVS short shifter

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a set of slotted rotors on the front when I got the car 2 years ago. Since then, I have taken it to Viper Days, auto crossed it, drag raced it and took it to VOI 9 and had it on the NASCAR track. I got new pads and rotors and the pads I replaced had more than 50% left.