Viper Gen1 - steering wheel holes

sfelisio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
i would like to replace my actual stock flat steering wheel with a new one with 60mm offset because I'm 1,96m and the knees are to near to the steering wheel especially when using the clutch I have interference between steering wheel and the left leg.

To do it I just bough a steering wheel from SABELT that i suppose to be easy to mount on the viper but the holes are in different position and different measures.
I've already tried with a couple of sport steering wheels to see if there is a chance but unfortunately not.

Someone of you have replaced the steering wheel and can suggest me a brand that has the same holes dimensions and ratio?

Take a look to pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't use that one, stay with the stock one. But if you have to, it will require the car get re-aligned to make it look straight.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I read that the master spline on the Gen3+ cars are at 90 degrees to the G1 & 2 columns. If one of those adapters is used, that might get the holes clocked right for the Sabelt wheel.

You can use the tie rods to move the wheel position center, but the car will bump steer because of unequal length rods and I would not recommend it except for a week or 2 before the correct hub can be sourced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfelisio

sfelisio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I read that the master spline on the Gen3+ cars are at 90 degrees to the G1 & 2 columns. If one of those adapters is used, that might get the holes clocked right for the Sabelt wheel.

You can use the tie rods to move the wheel position center, but the car will bump steer because of unequal length rods and I would not recommend it except for a week or 2 before the correct hub can be sourced.
my hub is made in italy (crazy) but the holes don't match with the sabelt steering wheel both in dislocation and in spacing
I don't think that simply turning it can be aligned .... a new hub would be needed with the holes moved and rotated.
Does anyone know what hub is needed and where to buy it?
There are too many models and with prices from €29 to €250… it's a nightmare! :)

Pls give me a link!

OP
OP
sfelisio

sfelisio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, I forget to put the hub picture in my last one....

Here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_D1C5EB13B163-1.jpeg
    IMG_D1C5EB13B163-1.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 13

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the stock wheel was basically a Momo. You might check and see if their bolt setup is the same. I thought there was a semi-standard "6 bolt" steering wheel setup though, so it is a bit odd the Viper one is clocked differently. About the only other then I could think to do would be making an adapter from some thick aluminum or something. Need it thick enough to hold enough thread to be strong, but then it would space the wheel out even more, which might be weird.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that the factory wheel and hub adapter's fasteners are oriented with the 6 hole group indexed level-across at 9 and 3 o'clock and I assume the master spline is at 12. This wheel has them indexed at 12 and 6. He needs to research Chrysler hub adapters for these critical reference orientations. You'll need a new hub with both the master spline (indicated by the arrow below) and the bolt group indexed at 12 o'clock.

Attachments

• Gen 1 steering hub M spline.jpg
    Gen 1 steering hub M spline.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People use the removable hubs (race car style) but not sure on far it will push the wheel out. Plus how legal it would be in your part of town if it has no horn. You might need to add a horn button somewhere in the car.

OP
OP
sfelisio

sfelisio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sabelt should have the correct hub available to adapt that wheel to the Chrysler spline.
Unfortunately here in Italy the Viper 1st gen is unknown and there is noone can confirm that any hub will be perfectly mount.
Can you please give me a name of a chrisler car that we have in italy that has the same spline and that can be mounted on the viper?
Many thanks mate.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to recall the steering column was made by Saginaw and used on many vehicles in the corporate offering. I suggest looking at the model lineup for Chrysler from the late 80's to early-mid 90's and check for possible adapters - particularly on the Dakota truck line.

Another thing that you could do is have a machinist make a steel disk with 12 holes in it and countersink every-other one. Fasten that on the original adapter with the Dodge screws, then thread the other 6 and screw your Sabelt wheel onto them.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found this photo earlier today of a Gen3 steering wheel. The master spline is at 12 o'clock. I asked the seller if he could measure the I.D. of the hole.

Attachments

• Gen 3 steering hub M spline.jpg
    Gen 3 steering hub M spline.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala