fuel pump (parts + labor)?

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, so my fuel pump gave out and left my wife stranded. car ran fine, parked, and when she came back to start the car, car would crank, turn over, POP, then stall. towed to Dodge (i didnt have any choices at the time), they called me back and said it was the fuel pump. no gas getting to the engine, no pressure. they were able to "tap" the fuel pump and loosen something, and now the car starts up fine again. but they told me, eventually it might happen again. so their quote is slightly under $1400 for parts and labor to replace the fuel pump. is this normal? or am i getting screwed by the stealership? would a regular mechanic be able to replace it? tia.

ps. stock 2000 RT/10 32k miles, driven 2k in the last year.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ok, so my fuel pump gave out and left my wife stranded. car ran fine, parked, and when she came back to start the car, car would crank, turn over, POP, then stall. towed to Dodge (i didnt have any choices at the time), they called me back and said it was the fuel pump. no gas getting to the engine, no pressure. they were able to "tap" the fuel pump and loosen something, and now the car starts up fine again. but they told me, eventually it might happen again. so their quote is slightly under $1400 for parts and labor to replace the fuel pump. is this normal? or am i getting screwed by the stealership? would a regular mechanic be able to replace it? tia.

ps. stock 2000 RT/10 32k miles, driven 2k in the last year.

The RT/10's do take more work to access the fuel tank than the GTS. GTS isn't too bad to do.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you trust this dealership fully?

This actually sounds like the alarm system reset and they are trying to make a ton of free $$ off you. Fuel pumps don't stop working and then start again.
With the alarm system reset (do a search), the car will start and rev up and then die within a few seconds. It only requires the battery to be disconnected, reconnected, and the key fob reset. You could do it yourself in 5min.
I would recommend getting a second opinion if your symptoms sound similar to what I just described.

OP
OP
D

diko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure if i could do the alarm reset. i bought it used and it has an aftermarket alarm system. i do recall, one time it ran sluggish in the parking lot right before parking it. only happened once in the past year. also it's getting harder to start when hot, cranks a few seconds before turning over. cold starts fires up right away. so i'm thinking it may actually be the fuel pump. oh, and it's always on a battery tender.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a call into chuck tator 914-763-3136 see what he says about it. he will help you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte