FYI on cutting hole in drivers side "speaker" vent.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI on cutting hole in drivers side \"speaker\" vent.

I e-mailed Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse about the cons of cutting a hole under the driver's side speaker vent. He said that although it helps a little with heat escape, he would have to lower the re-sale value because it had been altered. He said it's a $14,000 hood and he wouldn't do it. Now I'm on the fencepost of whether to do it or not. I really don't plan on ever selling it. Any input from the peanut gallery out there? :confused:

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: FYI on cutting hole in drivers side \"speaker\" vent.

It's your car, do what you want with it. If you go to sell it and some ******* is worried about the fact that you have a hole in the hood that is a BENEFIT, then don't sell it to him/her.......let them go find a "stock" one.

Good luck either way!

Regards,

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: FYI on cutting hole in drivers side

There was a guy in England I believe that did do this and trimed it out with the top of a flower ***(top was plastic). He said it made a big difference(could see the heat escaping) and looked very similar to the pass. side. Do a search for the post, but not sure what key word to use :confused: . I don't think "flower ***" would do it, :D :D

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

There was a recent post about removing the weather stripping at the top of the hood as a possible alternative to hole cutting. Not sure how much this may help, but it would seem to be an easy project to try.

My only concern was would the hood tend to rattle more?

I may try this and report back if there is a noticeable change or if you are able to "see the heat escaping" as others have mentioned with the speaker hole.

Good luck!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

do the vented cowl and yes remove the weatherstripping (actually you dont remove it as its attached to the stock cowl, just leave it on that one) no rattles from the custom vented cowl and it fits perfect as well as helping heat escape

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cut mine out last year because of the heat in the footwell area of both sides of the car. My feet would be burning from the heat of the engine. The air travels through the hole right down to the firewall and blows the heat out the bottom. There is no more heat at all in the car now. I cant tell if the engine runs cooler but i suspect that it does. I didnt have a problem with the engine over heating just my feet over heating. I tell you this its the best [******] mod for free i ever did! Theres nobody that would buy a hood for $14,000 dollars on this site because you can buy them used all day long for 4k or 5k. Its just like buying new wheels from dodge for $2500 a piece or buy a whole set of used wheels and tires for $2500.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cut the hole out as well. You can see the heat rise out of the hole. The only thing I suggest is to seal the hood runner on the inside with that expanding foam stuff so that you don't lose bolts in there.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

I cut mine out last year because of the heat in the footwell area of both sides of the car. My feet would be burning from the heat of the engine. The air travels through the hole right down to the firewall and blows the heat out the bottom.

I thought the heat rises out through the hole? :confused:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not as inexpensive, but you might consider the vented cowl from Autoform. No cutting - simple bolt-on.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel that the "resale" value issue is strictly a matter of personal opinion. Anyone that has driven a Viper in the hot weather should view this as a benefit and improvement to the car. I cut the hole in mine and as far as I am concerned, it improves the appearance and makes the left side grill appear to actually have a function. It really does work well in significantly reducing the heat in the footwell area. You decide, as mentioned above, it's your car. I also removed the weather stripping from the back of the hood near the cowl. Not sure how much this really did help in exiting additional heat from the engine. I do notice the hood shaking more on bumpy roads, thinking of putting the weather stripping back because of this :usa:

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another non-trivial benefit is the paperweight you get as a result of cutting the piece out. I've got mine at my desk at work. It always gets questions. People's reactions are generally rather amusing when I tell them, "oh, just for kicks I decided to cut a big hole in the hood of my Viper." I don't know about the rest of you who have done this, but my red circular paperweight sure is nice and shiney red, with all the different car waxes and polishes I try out on it.....

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know about the rest of you who have done this, but my red circular paperweight sure is nice and shiney red, with all the different car waxes and polishes I try out on it.....

LOL. :D