FYI, TIRE SENSORS UPDATE THEMSELVES !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Just an FYI, tire sensors on new rims/tires for the gen 3's update them selves. I switched my wheels a few weeks back, and havent really driven the car much since then. Finally last night, I spent about 2-3 hours driving (for fun) and the sensors updated the computer and the low tire light went away. Looks like its a short window of time, before it decides to "adopt" the new sensors !!

Hope this helps, no need to hit the dealership up just to get the things reset!! It happens naturally in a few hours/days of driving!!

Jon

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tire pressure sensors will reset themselves after an annoying ten minutes or so of driving. I learned this on my '04 after I found out how much it cost to have the dealer reset the sensors.

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good info.

Sorry for this shameless plug: :)

If anyone needs a set of brand new sensors and mounting nuts, send me a PM. I bought 4 new sensors and nuts, but they wouldn't work with the IForged wheels.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt work for mine. The light is still on after roughly 2000 miles. The rims and tires where off another car if that makes a difference?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tire pressure sensors will reset themselves after an annoying ten minutes or so of driving. I learned this on my '04 after I found out how much it cost to have the dealer reset the sensors.

Its a little longer then that. Because at first your car doesnt complain that they are not working, takes quite a few miles and quite a bit of driving. Then it ******* about low tire, then you drive a few more times (probably takes a certain amount of on and off cycles) and it resets them.

But definitly takes longer then 10 minutes at least on my Coupe it sure did. I just want to set clear expectations so that people dont go 10 mins, then still have it showing low tire warning, and think they have to get over to the dealership for a reset.

Jon

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Its a little longer then that. Because at first your car doesnt complain that they are not working, takes quite a few miles and quite a bit of driving. Then it ******* about low tire, then you drive a few more times (probably takes a certain amount of on and off cycles) and it resets them.

But definitly takes longer then 10 minutes at least on my Coupe it sure did. I just want to set clear expectations so that people dont go 10 mins, then still have it showing low tire warning, and think they have to get over to the dealership for a reset.

Jon

It only took my car roughly 10 minutes, therefore my repsonse should be rephrased accordingly. In my case, maybe this was a day when all of the stars and planets lined up. I understand for some it may take longer and I'm quite sure that some dealerships (mine sure did) will tell you to bring the car in to have the sensors reset (they didn't even know the sensors will or may reset after a few minutes or miles of driving). The result of my experience: $75 I didn't have to spend.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It only took my car roughly 10 minutes, therefore my repsonse should be rephrased accordingly. In my case, maybe this was a day when all of the stars and planets lined up. I understand for some it may take longer and I'm quite sure that some dealerships (mine sure did) will tell you to bring the car in to have the sensors reset (they didn't even know the sensors will or may reset after a few minutes or miles of driving). The result of my experience: $75 I didn't have to spend.

Curious, how did you get to the dealership within the 10 minute time window, before your tires reset themselves and you would have realised you didnt need them to do it?

Also, how did you eventually figure out that they did not, since they did the work to reset them, and charged you 75$. did you later add a new set of wheels and tires, and waited longer before going to the dealership for a reset?

Thanks,

Jon

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Curious, how did you get to the dealership within the 10 minute time window, before your tires reset themselves and you would have realised you didnt need them to do it?

Also, how did you eventually figure out that they did not, since they did the work to reset them, and charged you 75$. did you later add a new set of wheels and tires, and waited longer before going to the dealership for a reset?

Thanks,

Jon

Never said I made it to the dealership. I spoke to the service advisor on the phone thinking there was a way to reset the sensors myself. Told me to bring the car in and that it would cost $75. Hmmmmm.... wondered if I drove the car, the sensors may reset on their own. After about 10 minutes of driving, the warning chime stopped and the low tire indicator went off. The sensors reset themselves.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never said I made it to the dealership. I spoke to the service advisor on the phone thinking there was a way to reset the sensors myself. Told me to bring the car in and that it would cost $75. Hmmmmm.... wondered if I drove the car, the sensors may reset on their own. After about 10 minutes of driving, the warning chime stopped and the low tire indicator went off. The sensors reset themselves.

ahhh.. gotta love the net, I read this "I learned this on my '04 after I found out how much it cost to have the dealer reset the sensors."

As you learning because they slapped you with the bill. So I was then curious how you figured out that it wasnt needed, if you already paid for it.

Thanks for the clarity.

Jon

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that haven't seen it....

416Tire_sensor.jpg

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new tire sensors do not get programmed into the computer themselves do they? with the hre's on my car I got new sensors put in but didn't bother having the dealership program the sensors since I was being cheap that day lol :eek: never bothered to go back after that...

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine have NOT needed to be reset, and I have a couple hundred miles on them now. So I am not sure what W. SKAF is talking about, unless he truly had a low tire issue, but my sensors arent having a problem, and I didnt take them to the dealership to get reset !!

I would save your money, its not worth it, the car will adapt to them itself after a short period.

Jon

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine on all summer. Never reset. But just the LO TIRE message in the odometer. No chime or anything else.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine on all summer. Never reset. But just the LO TIRE message in the odometer. No chime or anything else.

lol, guess you got duds !!

Keep in mind, if you do have ONE bad sensor, it will show that warning. So if one was out of box failure, or messed up during tire mounting, then there is a chance it is actually a bad sensor, and if it was replaced, it would work without needing a reset.

I can only speak to my experience and it did work for me.

Jon

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Separately from changing wheels/tires, I had a puncture and therefore low tire pressure which caused the chime and indicator to go off, and once patched and refilled, the chime went away in a minute or so.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine have NOT needed to be reset, and I have a couple hundred miles on them now. So I am not sure what W. SKAF is talking about, unless he truly had a low tire issue, but my sensors arent having a problem, and I didnt take them to the dealership to get reset !!

I would save your money, its not worth it, the car will adapt to them itself after a short period.

Jon

Jon,

It almost sounds like W. SKAF took his car in, and the Tech only reset the computer's error code via the hand-held OBD2 scan tool. Anyone can do that for free at Autozone as their OBD2 scan tool is free to use in their store's parking lot.

Jay K.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine never reset either after installing my HREs. As GR8 ASP mentioned, just the "low Tire" in the screen. Nothing else. Doesnt bother me at all.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE.. mine just kicked on !! So either I really do have a low tire (didnt check yet) or the warning only goes away for a while and comes back !! DANG !!

But see.. I can admit when I am wrong, and it sure look like I might be on this one !!

Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang