Gell Cell Battery Questions

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I saw something on this forum at one time, but my searches came up empty.

Anyone have any info on gell cell batteries as replacements for the stock lead acid batteries?

The battery on my 02 RT was replaced when the car was new, but the replacement also is leaking, and the fluids ruined the underside paint, and even up on top of the rear bumper.

The car is only seven months old.....could this be a warranty issue? ... that is fixing the paint problem, and asking Dodge to supply the gell cell battery?

Any input would be appreciated.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are probably referring to the Optima "spiral cell" technology.
I would think that the results of aa leaking factory installed battery would be covered under warranty.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently replaced the battery in my 97 GTS with an Optima red top. Optima's aren't gel cells, they're lead acid in a six-pack configuration. The electrolyte solution is held by an absorbent glass-mat and is non spillable. Got it at Costco for 99 bucks.

The battery fit without any problems however I've heard some have had issues with the top battery posts hitting the car frame. They make a smaller version of the red top that has no clearance issuess.

328Optima_battery.JPG

328battery_post_clearance.JPG

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my battery leak and mess up the under side of my GTS.
I changed to the Optima. Works great.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't, I just try not to think about it. :mad: If I ever have the front fascia repainted. I would have them fix it then. But I would never use a unsealed battery in a Viper again.

2000 GTS Steel Grey :usa:
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver ignition key, ACR 5 point harnesses.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just changed my battery again...

I went with an Optima red top that went south on me within a month after installing it. The Dodge dealership replaced it with a POS Mopar "high maintenance" battery for my GTS, which went dry in a matter of months (and continued to burp battery acid onto my car).

I contacted the people at Odyssey batteries and came within a day of buying one. Before doing so, I spoke to the folks at Interstate battery about possible solutions. They are a reseller of Optima and told me not to put one into a Viper. They also said that they heard similar complaints were being said about the Odyssey batteries.

I asked them what they recommended for my GTS application, and they said that the best battery for me would be the side posted AC Delco sealed battery (that you can buy at Pep Boys). It is ironic that a battery maker like Interstate wouldn't recommend the gel batteries, and told me to go with a solution that they didn't sell.

To me that tells me that these guys are real professionals, who put a priority on doing what is best for a customer (rather than what is best for their wallets). I know that in the future that I will probably buy from them because of this experience (for another car).

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my battery again...

I went with an Optima red top that went south on me within a month after installing it. The Dodge dealership replaced it with a POS Mopar "high maintenance" battery for my GTS, which went dry in a matter of months (and continued to burp battery acid onto my car).

Brad,

Went south within a month? Did you ever find out what caused this? I've only had the red top in my car for 2 weeks. Sure hope it lasts longer then a month. Is there something with the Viper charging system that isn't compatible with the Optima? I know that others have gone with the Optima and haven't had any problems. Did you modify it in any way? Just curious why you didn't get it replaced under warranty.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure who you talked to at Interstate or what their intentions/knowledge is but I don't think so.

The Optima is a perfect solution in a Viper. We'd be hearing complaints here if not. I've had one for two years, store in winter, works perfect.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery that went bad in a couple of months and the replacement burping acid, sounds like an overcharge problem.

There was a post not long ago asking about a sensor mounted near the battery. Someone said it monitored the battery temperature.

I don't know if you do have an overcharge or if the "sensor" might have anything to do with the things you are seeing but if the regulator was overcharging this is exactly what you would experience.

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to wonder where the information started from that the Optimas have the Gel additive?

I was at Murrays Auto Parts the other day buying my Optima, and the store's assistant manager came over and started in with the sales pitch about the Optimas. We were agreeing on how good of a battery they are, blah blah blah.. then he starts to go on about how the Gel technology works in the Optimas. To my surprise, he became pretty upset when I broke the news to him.

Mis-information is great isnt?

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been running the Optima's in my offroader for a couple of years with no problems.. Perhaps Brad just ended up with a dud? I know the batteries get put through a hell of a lot of abuse and have been trouble free

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I have had an Optima battery for more then 2 years in my 95 Viper with no problems at all after the first one went south. The first one only lasted about a week but that was my fault. Fortunatly the distributor was kind enough to replace it for me. DO NOT CUT THE TOP POSTS ON THESE BATTERIES. Not only does it ruin the battery but it voids the warrenty. A warning or something should be printed on each battery because I know that I am not the only one that learned the hard way.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with the Optima is that the top posts MAY hit the frame. The several that does, the installer modify the battery tray or modify the battery itself (cut the posts). The later isn't a good idea, as I'm sure Optima will not warranty a modified battery. If you call Optima and ask them what they recommend for the Viper, they'll tell you that they don't make one that will fit a Viper at this time.

Odyssey makes a battery that will clear the frame, but it doesn't have that notch at the bottom to securely mount it. West Coast Viper carry this battery, and they sell a mount for the Viper. I haven't seen this set up, but it's the one I'd get, unless Optima makes one that is side post only. http://store.yahoo.com/westcoastviper/odysseybattery.html

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone said, the optima uses some technology other than gel cell.
I don't see where it makes any difference though. From what I have read, it seems that the optima will do anything that a gel cell battery will do.

I don't have one so I'm just going by what I have read.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I beleive the Optima uses a electrolytic paste with a spiral plate design.. anyways it lets you mount the battery in any angle and is highly resistant to vibration/shock/jarring damage

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard that Optima recently came out with the same battery but in a smaller case so it won't hit the top post. I have not verified this though, mine fit right in but I heard others had problems.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
FYI...Optima Rep at the Performance Racing Industry Show (here in Indy, early Dec., 2003) told me that they were planning to introduce a SIDE TERMINAL ONLY battery 90 days from the show date...that should/would fit Vipers without any problems, noting that it was mainly targeted at GM products for volume issues.

Anyone else seen/heard about this ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang