Gen 1 Glovebox door removal

vinnieviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think u will have to remove the dashboard.... then u can get to the round clips on each side of glove box that it pivots on.. they can carefully be bent and pulled off .. dash will come right off once they are removed.. if there is a way without removing dash im not sure.. maybe just remove bottom panel to see if you can get to hinges..

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took a look at the spare Gen I (1995) dash I have, and it looks like the glove box door pivots are using expanding push-type fasteners. You might try carefully prying the center piece of the black pivot point out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, then seeing if you can pull the whole plastic piece (both inner and outer) out at the same time.

If thats not do-able, then I'd try removing the passenger knee panel (just a few easily-visible screws), and I beleive you can see the back-side of the pivots there.

And, if not...

Removing the dash is very easy - carefully pull the bezel around the A/C and stereo head unit controls, remove the screws holding both knee panels in place, reach on top of the headlight switch body (behind the dash) and press the button you can feel and pull the headlight knob and shaft out, remove the screws across the bottom of the dash and on either side of the stereo, and carefully pry the top edge away of the gray dash away from the black rear dash. Only hard part is getting the dash up and from behind the steering wheel.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy is correct; you need to push in the center pins of the pivots, and then the whole pivot comes out in one piece. You can get access to the pivots by removing the knee bolster and the dash screws underneath it, but you'll need to have very skinny fingers. Otherwise, you'll need to start removing more pieces. You should not need to pull the dash all the way off in order to get to the pivots though. Good luck!