Gen 2 Edelbrock headers

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The term is called scavenging. It's where the low pressure component of an exhaust pulse is used to increase the velocity of the next exhaust pulse. The length of each primary tube is important for the timing of each exhaust pulse, and when they are done right you do a better job of getting the scavenging you want. The same concept works with Y and X pipes. As soon as an exhaust pulse reaches a collector, Y pipe or X pipe, it creates a low pressure because the increase in space (diameter of tube), which in turn helps pull out the next exhaust pulse.

While Edelbrock's headers don't appear to be "tuned" headers, it doesn't necessarily mean they're not providing good scavenging. Conceptually, you should be able to take the firing order of the Viper engine, and with a bit of calculation, figure out a ball park figure on how much a difference there needs to be between the primary tubes to ensure 2 or more pulses don't meet at the collector, Y pipe, or X pipe at any given time. Ideally, you want that designed around hard accelleration (where you want the most power gains), which means you need to factor in the assumption that each exhaust pulse is moving faster than the previous pulse (due to increasing RPMs), and ensure the distance is so that the pulses don't catch up with eachother. It's possible the Edlebrocks are a good header for the Viper.

Any math experts/engineers want to give it a try?

Just my $.02.
Jason

... The tuning is so that the sonic waves and exhaust pulses meet at specific times in the collectors causing a suction in front of the next cylinder's exhaust pulse.
The Edelbrock headers have no effort made towards equalling tube lengths and therefor obviously make less power than tuned headers...
Ted

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The term is called scavenging. It's where the low pressure component of an exhaust pulse is used to increase the velocity of the next exhaust pulse. The length of each primary tube is important for the timing of each exhaust pulse, and when they are done right you do a better job of getting the scavenging you want. The same concept works with Y and X pipes. As soon as an exhaust pulse reaches a collector, Y pipe or X pipe, it creates a low pressure because the increase in space (diameter of tube), which in turn helps pull out the next exhaust pulse.

While Edelbrock's headers don't appear to be "tuned" headers, it doesn't necessarily mean they're not providing good scavenging. Conceptually, you should be able to take the firing order of the Viper engine, and with a bit of calculation, figure out a ball park figure on how much a difference there needs to be between the primary tubes to ensure 2 or more pulses don't meet at the collector, Y pipe, or X pipe at any given time. Ideally, you want that designed around hard accelleration (where you want the most power gains), which means you need to factor in the assumption that each exhaust pulse is moving faster than the previous pulse (due to increasing RPMs), and ensure the distance is so that the pulses don't catch up with eachother. It's possible the Edlebrocks are a good header for the Viper.

Any math experts/engineers want to give it a try?

Just my $.02.
Jason

Interesting thanks for the info.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
For anyone that cares..I recently put these on my 95. Not much fun to install but they do look nice. Good time to change motor mounts as you are not getting them in without unbolting them. Need to install the heat shields yet. I finished it with Borla sportsman cans. Sounds better than I thought it would and screams at wot.

Something odd is happing tho when the pipes expand. I didnt install the front hangers (thinking I should have) and after it gets hot something is bouncing around in there where the flex pipe goes thru the hole in the frame. Not much for clearance there btw.
That is really strange. I recently finished an install and the headers DO NOT have any play at all in that area....rock solid placement. I did have to replace the crappy edelbrock would-be could-be collector clamps with a true v-band as mine was bent just enough to not properly seal. Have you checked for leaks in that area after warm up?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang