Gen 2 Hood Weight?

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question is: Anyone know the total weight of a stock Gen 2 hood? A close approximation should be acceptable also.

I'm designing a pulley system to safely and securely raise and hold the hood close to the ceiling while I'm working on the engine. Figured it would be a good solution to having limited garage space and no where to store the hood in the house. If anyone is interested in what I come up with, let me know and I'll document the project.

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From taking the hood off a few times I would guess it is under 150lbs.

and I've also been thinking of this since I like to work without the hood on and I only have a single-car garage
the thought of having it dangle above my car is kind of scary but I need to do something

let us know what you come up with

-Tim

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i kinda remember hearing it was like 125lbs. i think one of the tuners who doescarbon fiber said their hoods weight compared to OEM

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. 150... or even 125 is definitely within capacity of the hardware I'm using.

From taking the hood off a few times I
and I've also been thinking of this since I like to work without the hood on and I only have a single-car garage
the thought of having it dangle above my car is kind of scary but I need to do something
-Tim

I'm a bit worried about that as well, last think I need is that thing falling on me. I'd even imagine the side fenders could come a bit too close to acting like a guillotine, ouch. I doubt there would be enough momentum falling from a few feet, but don't want to chance it. I'll be putting in some safety lines at each of the four corners to make sure it wont fall, or if it does it will buy enough time to get out of the way.

I'll post some pics and info soon. Looks like it only cost me about $80 in hardware from Home Depot.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I got the hoist done and WOW, that hood is really heavy and awkward :( Think I'm going to need a crank... and unfortunately I still need two people to get the hood off the bolts.

Definitely a red helmet, I even got red rope to match. Let me respond before you say it Dave... I didn't mean the edible red rope :rolaugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS