Gen 2 suspension swap onto a Gen 1 possible?

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted a little while ago about trying to upgrade my suspension this winter. One of the things that came out of it was to swap some or all of the Gen2 control arms onto a Gen1, to possibly swapping the entire suspension. I'm now trying to sort out what is possible/not possible, and if there would be any advantage in doing so.

I'm under the impression that that Gen2 upper control arms are a direct swap onto Gen1's, with the advantage of them being lighter and stiffer.

I've heard that the Gen2 lower control arms will not swap, but I don't know why. If it is due to the attachment at the frame, then they are pretty much out. If it is due to the attachment at the hub carrier, then shouldn't I be able to swap the entire suspension corner (hub carrier, shock, and control arms)?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a full Gen 2 suspension ready to go on my Gen 1 - as soon as I find the other blue front shock.

I have asked the same question and everything I was told said it came down to the width of the lower control arm bushings - they are less than Gen 1 bushings. Therefore, some washer-spacers will be needed and they'll have to be somewhat precise, as the alignment is done using the offset washer heads and clamping down on the bushing inner "race."

This should only be a minor delay, since as soon as you have the old lower arm off, you can measure and compare to the new lower arm.

The lower control arm mount for the lower end of the shock is different because the ball joint is in the knuckle instead of the arm (or maybe other way.) In any case, the Gen 2 shock is 1" shorter.

The rear suspension looks different because the squat angle changed. I don't know if that means the Gen 2 arms can't fit, though. The concern up front is the rear shocks straddle the half shaft and I don't know if the upper attaching bracket can tolerate the change in angle. The Gen 1 shock aims quite a bit forward.

I'd be doing it mostly for two things; my upcoming 90,000 mile suspension freshening up and to save the weight; 30lbs off the front, I think.

If someone knows for sure this can't be done, well, then I have a complete Gen 2 front suspension for sale.