Gen 2 to Gen 4 Engine Modification

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to share the engine build on my 1997 GTS. Just thought others might be interested.

The engine had been consuming a lot of oil. That with a frustrating vibration at around 1250 RPM which became noticeable after installing the woodhouse poly mounts finally convinced me to have the engine pulled and sent to Arrow Racing Engines.

You must be registered for see images attach

I did explore buying a used engine / bottom end to replace mine. I have not had particularly great success in purchasing used so even after finding a couple of possible candidates I opted for having the engine torn down and checked out. I couldn't bring myself to take the risk of buying a problem instead of a solution.

As it turned out the engine bottom end had a "few" problems: :omg:
a couple of rod bearings down to the copper
the crank was damaged and beyond repair
the cylinder walls were heavily glazed
and the oil pump/front cover was shot
at least the engine is numbers matching to the car :smirk:

So while the bottom end is getting built back to stock performance a set of GEN IV heads will be going on the engine as well.
:D

The bottom end will be primarily stock. A slight overbore to deal with the heavy cylinder wall glazing and a stock crank. There will also be updated main bearings which are the biggest thing to help out with the
oiling of the rod bearings.

Naturally, all of this was very frustrating to discover and is really frustrating for my wife. She really enjoys going cruising :drive: in the Viper and the down time on this is not fun for either of us.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: why is the crank beyond repair? Race shops and rebuilders have been welding and regrinding crank journals for 75 years now, My local engine machine shop charges around $100 a journal to do it these days. Heck, the crank is my Hemi was welded and offset ground a full 5/8". Is there something special about the Viper crank that keeps you from doing that? Just curious.

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper Crank Shaft has a high Silcon content and the Billet is put under alot of pressure when produced. If the crank sees high heat such as when a bearing fails small beads of glass form on the surface.

The standing recommendation is to only weld repair the snout if damaged where the Harmonic Balancer is mounted.

Of course it is possible to use oversize bearings when the shaft is not to badly worn/damaged but beyond that if a new crank is available that is the route chosen

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the engine assembled (short the power steering bracket)

Off to the Dyno for testing :D

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, I'm sure it will perfrom great. I take it that it's safe to say there will be no techical data shared in this thread other than the dyno #s.

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is getting set up for the engine Dyno

Getting closer.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badass!
Looking at the intake/TB did you get the Gen III to Gen IV kit from Mopar?

2003 - 2006 Gen III Viper V10 150 HP Performance Upgrade Kit - P5156137

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to be a very interesting build. What are you going to do about the headers?

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close to the MOPAR kit. A few things are different since it is a Gen 2.

Headers could be stock GEN 4 but probably going to run Belangers.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have to motor out, it might be a good idea to change out that cheap plastic tension idler pulley. Mine started making noise and then the bearings got hot and melted the plastic. Everything that ran off the serpentine belt stopped working (power steering and alternator).

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you have to motor out, it might be a good idea to change out that cheap plastic tension idler pulley. Mine started making noise and then the bearings got hot and melted the plastic. Everything that ran off the serpentine belt stopped working (power steering and alternator).

What did you replace it with? Or did you just replace it with a new one?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did get a new one, and I believe it's the same as the one used on the 5.7 Hemi. It was around $20, but they do make some nice aftermarket pieces that are much better quality.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something tells me that thing is going to kick some serious bu............

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few of the latest pictures of the build.

I decided to go with an upgraded strapped twin disk clutch from Toddy at Bad Boyz Garage. I previously had the BBG Heritage single disk clutch and flywheel which was very nice. Also went with the BBG Clutch Slave Cylinder this time. Hope to see a decent amount of track time next year. :drive:

The install is coming along very nicely at this point thanks to Dan at McCann Racing. :2tu:

OP
OP
N

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently waiting on a final tweak in a cold room to validate the tune.

I wish I could say I am waiting patiently but I am not.
Current indications are I will see the car by the end of June.

I think this is likely since I am guessing a release of the GEN II to GEN IV MOPAR kit would be well timed with the July activities in Detroit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62