Gen 2 Trunktop Done

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who have waited, you can now see the Gen 2 trunktop at www.trunktop.citymaker.com (front page and Gen 2 page).

A very special thanks goes out to ANDY98RT10 for the use of his car for this project.

The photos shown are not very good as the sun was in the wrong spot and washed out the beauty of the car. I'll snap some new ones in the morning.

Although finished, I have a few G1 orders to get finished before I get to the G2 orders. The G2's are bit more work and require some tricky parts so they are bit more money.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

The top looks very nice and complete. I am really looking forward to Saturday. Thanks again, Andy

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I appreciate your effort, and please do not take this the wrong way. But the top looks very umm whats the word, fugly?

It does not match the lines of the car, in any way shape of form. Could you not make it double bubble like the OE tops?

Thanks.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BadVenm,

No window modifications needed.

Russ,

No offense taken (even though I'm about to defend the styling). The RT10 is a VERY difficult car to make a top for in terms of styling. The layout for function destroys any ideas of design thay truly make sense. You would have to totally redesign the car above the beltline to make the perfect styling solution for a top.

That being said, the styling of the top is definately the look I was after as the double bubble is not my taste. I really liked the old TGF top that there is very few of. I originally wanted it flush with the sport bar but that led to huge efforts with installation and the "quick" would have been out of the question so it sits on top.

I am finding that the vote on styling is about 50-50. Some love it, some lothe it.

Oh yea, it helps alot for fitting in the trunk too.

Jeff

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I like it. My personal taste is that the double bubble top sits too high on the car. Double bubble looks like a bad toupee', IMHO. Yours is more sleek.

Besides, the RT is NOT supposed to have a top AT ALL. It's meant to be an open air car. No top, no back window for me!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think, considering that it will fit into the trunk, screw the styling. Who cares? If you have an RT/10, the top would be off at least 90% of the time anyway. The few times that the top is on, might be for long trips in case of rain. What's better? The soft top or this? I vote for this. My only problem is that I have the original hard top. What am I supposed to do with that? I wish I had this thing for next friday's trip to N.H. Wonder if it would fit into the trunk with two 10lb. botles of Nitrous.

AC

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only problem is that I have the original hard top. What am I supposed to do with that?

AC

Cut the original top into 3 pieces... :)

Couldn't you make that Gen2 top extend further back to the rear of the sport bar, Jeff?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I'm having some trouble with the new trunk bags in that when all three panels are in the bag, it is an EXTREMELY tight fit to get it in the trunk. If I were to have three separate bags (which is looking like the new plan) they go right in. To make the panels, say, 2" longer or to the end of the sport bar may be getting back in to TIGHT territory again. I'll probably mess around with that idea in the future as running the panels to the end of the sport bar may look better as you have suggested.

Jeff

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this top on a Gen1 a month or so ago. The low design looks WAY better than the factory top.

Compared to a stock top, it looks like you took the football helmet off the RT/10.

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, I think the top looks great! Others may not. One thing is for sure and that is you have an awesome talent and are using it to make the Viper world a better place. Nice job.
Terry

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I need to see one in person to really critizize it. I am really glad someone went through the process of designing and finishing a fold away top. And if you have any more pictures to share please post a link.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments. I really apprieciate it.

Matt,

Yes, you can specify which color you need.

Russ,

I am adding some better pics to the site soon. They are better in the sense that the lighting is better. I don't know if I can actually get pics that CONVINCE YOU HOW GREAT MY TOP LOOKS!!

Just kidding.

In all honesty I understand that to some people the top can appear "plain" looking without alot of curve and such. When it was being designed I never once thought every person in the world would hail me as the greatest designer ever and that no one could ever think my stuff was ugly. I apprieciate your honest comments.

Jeff

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff I'm interested (I have a 95 RT/10). I like the way it looks. A few questions ?

How does it stand up in a rainstorm ?

Is there any problem with the clearence from top of vipermania windows to top, it appears from the photo that the top curves downward ?

What about the radio-booster in the trunk, will it become a problem, will it need to be removed ?

Mannyg

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mannyg,

So far, I 've been in 3 rainfalls. One of which was a MAJOR storm while the car was parked, 2 normal rains driving. I was pleased with the results of the top, however, my 94 did get soaked on the passenger side floor and water was entering under the dash somewhere. These are not water tight cars but the top seems to work as one would expect.

No door clearance problems at all, the window/top relationship is quite good. No need to remove the factory radio amp, all pieces fit.

Jeff

robntguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 50/50 on this one ..... I guess I'd have to let it grow on me.

Black 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect fit great looks! Seems solid once on car. took it to work today.Much less wind noise and rattle than ragtop.As for looks........can't compare to ragtop!!

Great job Jeff...Keep up the goodwork

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas