Gen 5 camshaft in gen 4 motor

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is touchy, but.....will the Gen 5 camshaft work in a Gen 4 motor? The Gen 5 camshaft
sounds more aggressive and makes more power, in theory. Would there be any advantages or
disadvantages to making this change, if it is possible? Looking for more all motor horsepower without
going to a solid camshaft. Last but not least, will the Mopar performance box be able to tune the new camshaft? :nana:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOuld be interesting to know. I asked if the intake manifold could be used in a GEN IV (from a GEN V) and if I remember correctly it sounded like it could be done with some kind of modification.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The Gen V camshaft has the same exhaust profile and timings as the Gen IV cam however the intake profile has been change to improve top end breathing with a very slight loss of low and mid-range. The lifted area under the curve is greater and the intake centerline is ******** four degrees. This change alone would result in an 8 to 10 horsepower improvement compared to the gen IV profile. The cam change would be a direct swap; the intake centerline should be checked and set to 122 ATDC. Although some calibration changes were required for Gen V, our guess is that the Mopar controller would provide acceptable fuel and spark and since many of the OBD monitors are desensitized there should not be any issues with check engine lights. All bets are off with a production controller.

A Gen V intake would also fit on a Gen IV engine but since it is composite, fastener torque limiters are used to keep from cracking the intake when torqued. The Gen V has extra machining at the intake fastener holes to accommodate these torque limiters so something would need to be done to the Gen IV head or some sort of modified torque limiter would have to be made. This change would also result in about a 10 horsepower improvement with added low and mid-range torque. You would also save 7 pounds of weight and get the added thermal benefits of the composite (compared to the Gen IV aluminum) material.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen V camshaft has the same exhaust profile and timings as the Gen IV cam however the intake profile has been change to improve top end breathing with a very slight loss of low and mid-range. The lifted area under the curve is greater and the intake centerline is ******** four degrees. This change alone would result in an 8 to 10 horsepower improvement compared to the gen IV profile. The cam change would be a direct swap; the intake centerline should be checked and set to 122 ATDC. Although some calibration changes were required for Gen V, our guess is that the Mopar controller would provide acceptable fuel and spark and since many of the OBD monitors are desensitized there should not be any issues with check engine lights. All bets are off with a production controller.

A Gen V intake would also fit on a Gen IV engine but since it is composite, fastener torque limiters are used to keep from cracking the intake when torqued. The Gen V has extra machining at the intake fastener holes to accommodate these torque limiters so something would need to be done to the Gen IV head or some sort of modified torque limiter would have to be made. This change would also result in about a 10 horsepower improvement with added low and mid-range torque. You would also save 7 pounds of weight and get the added thermal benefits of the composite (compared to the Gen IV aluminum) material.

Thank you!

What performance parts (cams, superchargers, headers, ECU, etc...) will be available for the gen V regarding the customers that like to mod their vipers for more power/torque?

Again,
Thank you.

OP
OP
C

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Being a part of the VCA and having access to this type of knowledge is absolutely amazing!
Thank you SRT engineers for a very direct,detailed explanation.... I am a very proud owner of Mopar/SRT products!

OP
OP
C

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update: Thanks for the advice SRT .... A gen 5 camshaft and intake has successfully been installed in my GEN 4 Viper..... Used Arrow racing to do the install... Very professional and great service from Arrow!!!!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they do an engine dyno by any chance? I'd be curious to see how much power you are putting down with your mods...your trap speed is already very nice. Do you remember what the DA was when you ran it?

OP
OP
C

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve M , you are amazing!!! The knowledge you have and keep is
what we all strive for.... It was on the engine dyno, but I did a forged
bottom end so the numbers will not apply... I will shoot for a good drag
Number this fall when the weather is better.... Spartan I will pm you on
Intake....

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve M , you are amazing!!! The knowledge you have and keep is
what we all strive for.... It was on the engine dyno, but I did a forged
bottom end so the numbers will not apply... I will shoot for a good drag
Number this fall when the weather is better.... Spartan I will pm you on
Intake....

Hey wait for the rest of us to catch up jezz :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper