Gen 5 Viper

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have high reassurance that the car will be somewhere around 700 HP. At VOI11, Ralph pretty much alluded to it being high enough for all here, if you read between the lines.

As far as the Jeep SRT8, they did listen to a lot of owners. Many including myself wanted to have towing capacity and if that meant spreading out the exhaust pipes so be it. Many wanted to be able to truly drive it in the snow and now they can. We wanted the ability for a softer ride with adjustible suspension adn they have. World Class Stereo, check! Better interior quality, check? The only two areas they faultered on and will be resolved in upcoming years were the tranny (which is a dinosaur piece of junk and was as well in my 07 SRT8 Jeep) and no Multi-Air to try to get some acceptable mpgs out of it. Those were the only two things that kept me from buying it. Everything else was provided as letters to SRT including mine to them.

Older SRT8 Jeeps owners probaby are unhappy with it, but some, like myself who tried to live with the damn thing as a daily driver, in real world conditions all year long in the mountains, absolutley welcome the new SRT8 as it is light years ahead of the older one, except in two more areas. The older SRT8 Jeep is better looking but a few tweaks of the new one in a few key areas would fx that very quickly. The second is the rims. No comparison that the older rims are way better looking but they were way too heavy too, so whatever.

My only concern on the new GEN V is price as unfortunately I am not one who can have $100k+ vehicles hanging around, except on the used market after they depreciate. :)

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We specifically asked him this question at our SFL meeting. There is a good reason, just can't share it. I will say, if anyone is on the fence about going to NY GO. There is gonna be a nice surprise there. ;)

Tell me , tell me....;)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering...wouldn't the first year of a new design (Gen 5) be more collectible than subsequent years?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but for those that are rationalizing a purchase for 2013, perhaps that would be something to consider as well (in addition to the low production quantity)?

Talk to our VCA president down here in South Fl and maybe you can own the first one off the line that being sold to the public:)
Or the 100th

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to our VCA president down here in South Fl and maybe you can own the first one off the line that being sold to the public:)
Or the 100th

Sure...that would be nice...but wasn't really my question. I was just wondering if the first year of a redesign is considered to be more "collectible/valuable/desireable" than subsequent years. It would be interesting to gather the data from the first year of previous redesigns (Gen 2, 3, 4) to see if the overall resale value is higher.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering...wouldn't the first year of a new design (Gen 5) be more collectible than subsequent years?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but for those that are rationalizing a purchase for 2013, perhaps that would be something to consider as well (in addition to the low production quantity)?

You mean like the 2003 Gen 3's or 2008 Gen 4's? Oh wait......

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, I'm thinking the only one that meant anything was the 96 GTS.

The 96 GTS is without a doubt "THE" GTS to have. With that said, I'm not sure you can buy a bad GTS. If you're buying a Viper as an investment, you're buying the car for the wrong reason. You should buy the car because it's THE american supercar. No matter what, 99.99% of the cars sold are going to lose value as they age. Odds are not in your favor if you are going to chase down a first model year car to generate revenue.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 GTS is without a doubt "THE" GTS to have.

Now some would argue that the '98 GTS-R replicas would be the car to have. Only 100 built, special wheels, interior, paint scheme, pictures of the car being built etc. just my .02. I will nOt dispute the the fact though that the '96/'97 GTS' are beautiful cars. :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now some would argue that the '98 GTS-R replicas would be the car to have. Only 100 built, special wheels, interior, paint scheme, pictures of the car being built etc. just my .02. I will nOt dispute the the fact though that the '96/'97 GTS' are beautiful cars. :)

I would say the most desirable GTS's are:

#1 98 GTS-R
#2 02 FE ACR
#3 99 Silver/Blue ACR
#4 96 GTS

The 96's are great but there are more B/W GTS's than any other color combo.

These are just my picks so don't go crazy on me:D

It would be pretty cool if they revive the GTS name for the Gen5.

Last edited:

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad there is buzz around the new viper. The viper I saw at VOI was good but not great. Im sure they will make the necessary adjustments to make it great. I am worried about the performance. I have no doubt it will have tons of power. I am sure it will handle great. But will it put the power down? Hopefully the ferrari guys are helping with traction and launch control. We have stock 911's and GTRs (2013) cars running 10's in magazine tests. I am not thrilled about the looks of those cars but the performance is definitely there. Those cars are actually very good track cars as well. I am just worried about it being the first viper with traction/hopefully launch control.

One other thing I thought I would mention is that the GenV ACR, according to Ralph at VOI11, will be substantially different from the regular viper. More power and more aggressive. I dont think it will be a 10-20 HP bump, he didnt say but indicated more. It seemed as though he was saying it wouldnt be a coupe with a splitter, wing, and wheels (from an external perspective) but more dramatically different.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The 96 GTS is without a doubt "THE" GTS to have. With that said, I'm not sure you can buy a bad GTS. If you're buying a Viper as an investment, you're buying the car for the wrong reason. You should buy the car because it's THE american supercar. No matter what, 99.99% of the cars sold are going to lose value as they age. Odds are not in your favor if you are going to chase down a first model year car to generate revenue.

The question was if the 1st year cars of the Gen redesigns were worth anymore then the subsequent years. My answer was agreeing with ViperJons comment and basically saying no...except for the 96 GTS.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The fact of the matter is that the 96 BW GTS does not bring a penny more than the 97 BW GTS with equal mileage.
You might think so, but it doesn't. I know, I shopped around for them long enough.
In fact the 97 has some improvements making it the better car in some respects.

Hell, you can't give away a 93 Gen 1 with some miles on it.
If the 96 GTS was red you couldn't give that away either, it's because of the color people love them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure...that would be nice...but wasn't really my question. I was just wondering if the first year of a redesign is considered to be more "collectible/valuable/desireable" than subsequent years. It would be interesting to gather the data from the first year of previous redesigns (Gen 2, 3, 4) to see if the overall resale value is higher.

Yes...No....Maybe:-/

I think "collectible/valuable/desirable" is all relative. For the price, the performance, looks and exclusivity, i think every Viper is a "collectible/valuable/desirable" sports car.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When the 2003 Viper was coming out, I tried convincing my wife that we should buy a second Viper as an investment, since we were current owners, VCA members, etc. She wasn't convinced, and time proved her right. I'm always the one who gets emotional about cars, and my judgement gets outta whack. Values have done nothing but drop. The only way a Viper would be worth more than when you bought it, is if it had 100 pounds of ******* in the trunk. Mine's worth diddly squat now, why is it gonna be any different with another version? (Actually, my 2001 is still worth $79,000 TO ME, same as I paid for it, because to me, it's irreplaceable, a loved member of the family, and there will never be another new one just like mine)

So I look at the Gen5 this way- It may be a great car, but it's gonna have to prove it's case, with independant performance testing, with styling that makes my jaw drop, not LeBaron/S2000 blandness. We'll see, we'll see. I'm not hyped up in anticipation, just patiently awaiting what might unfold, with my arms crossed....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Jon B once stated, there is no Viper (other than the GTS-R) that sells today for more than it stickered for.
The Gen 5 will be no different.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad there is buzz around the new viper. The viper I saw at VOI was good but not great. Im sure they will make the necessary adjustments to make it great. I am worried about the performance. I have no doubt it will have tons of power. I am sure it will handle great. But will it put the power down? Hopefully the ferrari guys are helping with traction and launch control. We have stock 911's and GTRs (2013) cars running 10's in magazine tests. I am not thrilled about the looks of those cars but the performance is definitely there. Those cars are actually very good track cars as well. I am just worried about it being the first viper with traction/hopefully launch control.

One other thing I thought I would mention is that the GenV ACR, according to Ralph at VOI11, will be substantially different from the regular viper. More power and more aggressive. I dont think it will be a 10-20 HP bump, he didnt say but indicated more. It seemed as though he was saying it wouldnt be a coupe with a splitter, wing, and wheels (from an external perspective) but more dramatically different.

I hope so too...I actually wouldn't mind if this is the 1st Viper with launch control

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers have launch control. It is the Eye/Hand/Foot unit manufactured by G-d.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some comments and opinions from a small town in Colorado,

- To say that a handful (cause thats truly all that it can be) of customers that may consider buying more than one new gen Viper, will deplete inventory quickly....well thats just a very strange statement. I think they are planning on building 1000 + cars....not a few dozen.
- Many people that are considering looking at the new gen seriously, are also smart enough to know that often "new" cars, when first released, have issues....and will therefore patiently wait until some of those growing pains have been rectified. The more parts of this car that are actually new, the more possible issues when introduced to real world conditions.
- To say that the new gen Viper will appeal to all (and its said over and over by people on this and other threads about the new car) is also out of line. No matter what it looks like, not everyone will like it. It will most definitely dissapoint people as well as it will excite others....thats just the nature of anything that appeals to our emotions. Personally there is very little that I like about the late model ACR's. In my opinion they look like ' boy racers' and many of the parts on the car look like afterthoughts. Also dividing two tone paint jobs along body seams just look plain cheap to me....I know, the cars are great on the road, but I prefer the clean look and lines of a std gen 3 or 4 car. Again my point is...many rave about the looks of the ACR's.....others dont care for them at all. The same reaction can be expected when the new car is finally released.
- I am certain that the new features on the new car will ultimately make it a better car. Maybe not for those that embrace the rawness of earlier models but objectively I am sure the cars will just be that much better than anything from the past.

I for one am looking forward to seeing it but take all the assurances about how perfect it will be (from those that think they have all this insight), with a grain of salt. Talk is cheap....show me the real deal and let me decide for myself.

Matt

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers have launch control. It is the Eye/Hand/Foot unit manufactured by G-d.

There's a quote I read from the Grailkeeper that I always find amusing. "The Viper comes with traction control. Your left and right foot. Learn how to use them."

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some comments and opinions from a small town in Colorado,

- To say that a handful (cause thats truly all that it can be) of customers that may consider buying more than one new gen Viper, will deplete inventory quickly....well thats just a very strange statement. I think they are planning on building 1000 + cars....not a few dozen.
- Many people that are considering looking at the new gen seriously, are also smart enough to know that often "new" cars, when first released, have issues....and will therefore patiently wait until some of those growing pains have been rectified. The more parts of this car that are actually new, the more possible issues when introduced to real world conditions.
- To say that the new gen Viper will appeal to all (and its said over and over by people on this and other threads about the new car) is also out of line. No matter what it looks like, not everyone will like it. It will most definitely dissapoint people as well as it will excite others....thats just the nature of anything that appeals to our emotions. Personally there is very little that I like about the late model ACR's. In my opinion they look like ' boy racers' and many of the parts on the car look like afterthoughts. Also dividing two tone paint jobs along body seams just look plain cheap to me....I know, the cars are great on the road, but I prefer the clean look and lines of a std gen 3 or 4 car. Again my point is...many rave about the looks of the ACR's.....others dont care for them at all. The same reaction can be expected when the new car is finally released.
- I am certain that the new features on the new car will ultimately make it a better car. Maybe not for those that embrace the rawness of earlier models but objectively I am sure the cars will just be that much better than anything from the past.

I for one am looking forward to seeing it but take all the assurances about how perfect it will be (from those that think they have all this insight), with a grain of salt. Talk is cheap....show me the real deal and let me decide for myself.

Matt

I would like the Coupe and the ACR to produce downforce without wings, etc. Ferrari seems to do ok... .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten