Gen II 1st washing questions??

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my new GTS ACR and will be washing it for my 1st time this weekend. Anything I should avoid? Anywhere I should not spray water? Ect....? Thanks all.
-J

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep windows up. :lmao:

Sorry.

I wash my GTS all the time by hand.

Avoid garden hose pressure directly at door and window seals. If yours are leak tight with a hose aimed at them never sell the car...

Do not spray water up the NACA duct. It does have drains in it though so do not have to get too worried.

If you have a VEC box by the brake booster cover it.

When finished washing pop the hood and dry under there. A lot of water will puddle in places.

I take the air hose to the car to blow around seams and lights and lug nuts when drying.

The door jambs will puke water for hours. Once again an air hose helps, but don't blow water into the cabin.

Finally, take it for a drive when done to dry the inside of the sills.

BTW, I spray the engine area with the hose every now and then. Just a light spray to remove dust. Many use a leaf blower after that to dry the engine. I have not, and have had no problems.

Wash day. Do it right there in the garage...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

cabinetman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think it's a stupid pic. there's a lot of us up here in the great white north who would love to to be washing our cars today

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it's a stupid pic. there's a lot of us up here in the great white north who would love to to be washing our cars today

I'll second that ! Geez this Winter seems to be dragging on..

:crazy2:

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get on it in the morning. We'll see what happens. I'll take a few pics.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ain't Texas weather GREAT???
Texas weather ***** especially if your hobby is cars. I have lived here for over 40 years and all it does is RAIN, at least in the greater Houston crap area. Nearly every week end track event or rally I try to enter is rained out or totally miserable to drive in. Flooding is even common place in many areas most of the year. Last two Viper Days at College Station Texas (inc. this last week end 2/16) were miserable. Great weather for driving and really enjoying your car is either Southern Calif., Arizona, or Nevada.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas weather ***** especially if your hobby is cars. I have lived here for over 40 years and all it does is RAIN, at least in the greater Houston crap area. Nearly every week end track event or rally I try to enter is rained out or totally miserable to drive in. Flooding is even common place in many areas most of the year. Last two Viper Days at College Station Texas (inc. this last week end 2/16) were miserable. Great weather for driving and really enjoying your car is either Southern Calif., Arizona, or Nevada.

That's just because it ***** in the houston area. Up north towards dallas/waco etc. lots of nice driving weather, except when its 125 degrees oustside.

When I used to live in waco, it would go weeks withouth raining. I think think since I have moved to houston there hasnt been one week where we havent had atleast one storm.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A GII viper does have a lot of places where water sits. I use to use an air compressor to blow the water out of spots you can't get with a towel until I started using an electric leaf blower to do the job. After reading on detailing forums about a lot people using leaf blowers to help dry their cars I was still skeptical. I finlly tried it and it works great. Now I use a electric leaf blower and a microfiber towel. After drying the car the towel is only a little damp. If you keep your paint waxed or sealed the leaf blower blows off most of the water. It work great on wheels and other places that are hard to get to.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A GII viper does have a lot of places where water sits. I use to use an air compressor to blow the water out of spots you can't get with a towel until I started using an electric leaf blower to do the job. After reading on detailing forums about a lot people using leaf blowers to help dry their cars I was still skeptical. I finlly tried it and it works great. Now I use a electric leaf blower and a microfiber towel. After drying the car the towel is only a little damp. If you keep your paint waxed or sealed the leaf blower blows off most of the water. It work great on wheels and other places that are hard to get to.

Yes I was sceptic also of the "leaf blower" method. I tried it though on my first wash of the viper. Works great. Gets water out of cracks that you can't get with a towel. It's all I use now to dry off my vehicles.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, it's just a car! Wash it with the same care you would any other car. I use the Zip Wax Car Wash and dry it with a soft cotton towel. For touch up and to remove water spots, Meguiar's Quick Detailer works great and works on the rims too.
I open the hood before I dry it to drain the water from the ducts in the hood, and to dry the area on the sill.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, it's just a car! Wash it with the same care you would any other car.

You sound like my EX-girlfriend
please sell your viper to a new and loving home.....

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would have been to much work, I mean having to clean my gun and all afterwards. just not worth the effort.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: This'll probably start something,but here goes: In the 13 months I've had my Viper I've never washed it except for the wheels, after taking them off one at a time. My Viper isn't driven in the rain so it doesn't get "dirty". I use a California duster to knock off the dust, then clean various areas one at a time with McGuires quick detailer spray, then I wax those areas with McGuires wax. I may take a week or more to finally "get R done" completely, but I'm the only driver and the only maintainer, plus I paid for the whole sheebang, so it really doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks. I unwind with my quality time with my Viper. The only fabric that touches the body is clean microfiber, so there are no swirl marks in the paint. Long in comeing and well loved. My .02:)

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:omg: This'll probably start something,but here goes: In the 13 months I've had my Viper I've never washed it except for the wheels, after taking them off one at a time. My Viper isn't driven in the rain so it doesn't get "dirty". I use a California duster to knock off the dust, then clean various areas one at a time with McGuires quick detailer spray, then I wax those areas with McGuires wax. I may take a week or more to finally "get R done" completely, but I'm the only driver and the only maintainer, plus I paid for the whole sheebang, so it really doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks. I unwind with my quality time with my Viper. The only fabric that touches the body is clean microfiber, so there are no swirl marks in the paint. Long in comeing and well loved. My .02:)

I take it you don't own a black car. I used to do like that with my red vette , I would wash it once amonth and then do as you described. Car looked clean most of the time. My black Viper I don't think will be as forgiving.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take it you don't own a black car. I used to do like that with my red vette , I would wash it once amonth and then do as you described. Car looked clean most of the time. My black Viper I don't think will be as forgiving.

Exactly.

Once you driven it the only way to clean without introducing swirls is with soap and water. The only exception is using the QEW method I posted in the car care section.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
make sure when you pop the hood to clean the top of the side sills real good and put on a coat of paint sealant(synthetic wax) to protect them from the crap that accumulates on top of em.

HAVE FUN!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang