gen ii engine over 4k rpms

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think any viper owner can help me here, but i still have to ask the question right?
biggrin.gif

while i had the rental gts i've noticed quite a vibration coming from the engine once it was spining over 4 grand. now, i am used to the chevy small block 305 and 350 type vibrations, but they are not as evident as the ones from the v-10... it almost felt like something is wrong. i realise that the v-10 is not naturally balanced, but is it normal to shake more than a 350?and since i havent driven another viper to compare it to, here is my question: is it normal for the engine to vibrate that much at higher rpms? it wasnt missing and did have even idle, so i would think that the firing was ok... it was not surging at higher rpms so i would say that it wasnt missing under load either...

alex
00 m5
few other cars
currently working on my first viper deal
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by AJ on 03-12-2002 at 01:54 PM</font>

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a rough idle is normal (to an extent, and compared to say W351) but mine is rock solid at every level above idle. I would say that your rental has not been well taken care of...
Rent a good one and you will instantly fall in love!!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine in our 99 GTS is remarkably smooth at all rpms more then an idle. I think our Viper is smoother overall then my 95 Z28, and also smoother then our 01 Z06 (except at idle where it's a little lumpy).

I traded an E36 M3 in on the Viper and the Viper engine has less vibrations then the BMW. I thought the M3 was kind of buzzy, but maybe that's because it was geared ridiculously short.

Did you say rental....?

Jim

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I've never noticed any increase in engine vibrations at 4,000 or 6,000 rpm for that matter. Seems just like any other big block.

Given that it was a rental, who knows what previous renters have done with the car.</FONT f>

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any vibration over 4,000 RPM in any gear 3rd or later could
equate to a wheel balance problem. In all gears perhaps a
drive line imbalance. You could also be hearing the side
exhaust puffing like a UPS truck .

OP
OP
A

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had few high boost cars, so my ear is highly tuned to pinging- i am sure it was not pinging. also, it was definately rpm related and was not a front end problem- the whole car was shaking- even when reving to 4-5k standing still.

however, the idea that the rental is not exactly a top specimen of the snake pit would be a valid one...

so there are no excessive vibrations over 4k on a healthy viper- that is all i wanted to know

thanx everybody,

onward with my search
biggrin.gif

alex
00 m5
few other cars

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was this a rental in Las Vegas. I had the same problem. Now I know that the tires were bold spotted and made the car vibrate while driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken