Oil leak driver side front of engine

Chuckster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, losing oil on a 1994 that is new to me. Dripping quite a bit onto a metal tray. Definitely engine oil. Did a bunch of searches. Pan gasket is the newer type and some bolts are dripping with drops on the bottom of the pan, but there is a fair amount of oil leaking and landing on the frame and dropping off the front cross member where you can jack the car. The remote oil filter area is dry. The car is old enough and rare enough that it’s hard to find any detailed procedures or write-ups. The only thing I can see from the top is that there is a fair amount of oil on the ac compressor. I don’t see a bunch of obvious leaking from the pan gasket and I’m a bit baffled. Any thoughts on possible sources? Also know that the power steering bracket was replaced bc it snapped. Perhaps it disturbed oil cooler lines?? I really can’t tell. I’d appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Can you trace it any higher than the pan rail? Not a gen 1, but my gen 3 valve covers were leaking and would trickle down the side of the block eventually. Oil tends to collect on the pan bolt heads just because of geometry and gravity. Not sure how the gen 1 valve cover gaskets are set up, but I know the gen 3 o ring style ones just get hard over time and will leak if you take them on and off enough times. Oil cooler lines would be the other one I would check for sure. Any time oil leaves the block is a chance or location for a leak, so I'd tend to start there. Could maybe even be a bad oil pressure sensor, but again, not sure where those are on the earleir gens off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Chuckster

Chuckster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you trace it any higher than the pan rail? Not a gen 1, but my gen 3 valve covers were leaking and would trickle down the side of the block eventually. Oil tends to collect on the pan bolt heads just because of geometry and gravity. Not sure how the gen 1 valve cover gaskets are set up, but I know the gen 3 o ring style ones just get hard over time and will leak if you take them on and off enough times. Oil cooler lines would be the other one I would check for sure. Any time oil leaves the block is a chance or location for a leak, so I'd tend to start there. Could maybe even be a bad oil pressure sensor, but again, not sure where those are on the earleir gens off the top of my head.
Thank you! It’s so tightly packed in there. I’m also contemplating oil lines. I’ll figure it out. I really appreciate your response!

OP
OP
Chuckster

Chuckster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine was oil lines. But usually when they leak there's a lot of oil. Might be worth checking tho.
Hey..that’s my current hunch. I have been trying to get under the car safely so I can see from all angles. I do see some oil dripping down one line.

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey..that’s my current hunch. I have been trying to get under the car safely so I can see from all angles. I do see some oil dripping down one line.
theyre a bit of a pita...as the bumper needs to come off. If you replace them, add some shielding (rubber cover) to prevent them from rubbing the frame

OP
OP
Chuckster

Chuckster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all! I figured it out. I knew the power steering pump had lost fluid and realized it must be leaking. I was trying to figure out just where the leak was: reservoir, oring where res mates with pump, both, etc. I was adding fresh Lucas PS fluid (clear) to the old ps fluid (dark brown) and I managed a mix that had the exact same color as the engine oil! So that’s what was really confounding me. New ps pump/reservoir and no more leak. I know there will be some slight drops from the pan, but I’m happy to have resolved the issue with the ps pump. I appreciate all of your thoughts. I’ll keep an eye on oil lines.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Glad you found it! I was really close to suggesting that at first just based on the location, but wasn't sure with the fluid color. I know the earlier cars used different stuff, but hard to say what is in anything when a car is 30 years old.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The taste test would have identified the issue.

I do the sniff test only as I am not advanced enough for the taste test.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala