Gen III Thermostat change How to?

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys,

I want to swap out to a 170 degree thermostat and need help with a How to or step by step. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are several threads on this, so a quick search will get you more detail. Here's the highlights:
Drain coolant
Undo hose running from thermostat housing to radiator
Remove 4 screws holding on housing
Pull housing off gently
Pop out thermostat
Replace gaskets if necessary
Put it all back together

Won't do much unless you get a tuner to get the fans on earlier.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you'll probably needed to loosen and slightly move the tower brace to remove the Tstat housing, I did. It's very simple. And agree, without a tune it's benefits are argued from none to negative. I did one with a DC tune and it was great.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need to drain all of the coolant. Just remove the thermostat and some coolant (< 1 gallon) will drop right from the interface area. Just top off the coolant system afterwards and don't forget to purge the system.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need to drain all of the coolant. Just remove the thermostat and some coolant (< 1 gallon) will drop right from the interface area. Just top off the coolant system afterwards and don't forget to purge the system.

That's what I did and it worked fine.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should also do a coolant change while you doing a thermostat same time because coolant is corrosive and I used the funnel system works great , very easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2004Fangs