Gen IV rock guards??

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I have seen rock guards or "mud flaps" for the gen IV and I think in carbon fiber.
Anyone know who supplies them?

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw pictures of them here and they looked good. I wanted to look at them closer and pick some up at VOI but nobody was ever at the booth.
What color is your car? If you get some please post a picture.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Some like the look, some don't...I REALLY like the look on all of the Gen III (red) and Gen IV (violet, yellow,orange) Vipers that I have seen in person with the PartsRack flaps/guards ON ALL FOUR corners. IMPORTANTLY, (to ME) they seem to be helping protect the paint on these cars (at least on our 3).

At gatherings and shows, I have received very favorable comments from fellow Viper owners.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion makes the car look wider and lower from the rear....hard to see,but a pic I posted some time ago....

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is black sothey should blend well. I'm also thinking of doing the CF hood so they would tie in with that and the aero parts.
Cant stand the chips!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some shots of the PartsRack CF Chip Guards installed on my 03', for those interested. Even on Red they seem to blend with the lines of the car, and with tires on kinda disappear (after about a month). Although I clear bra'd behind the wheels these seems to add a little bit of extra protection :2tu: Thank you, JonB!

Rear (sorry, bad cell phone shots)

Front

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gaurds look ok but there is one problem with them. They will not completely protect the rocker panels as they cant wrap under. The rockers are made out of aluminum so they chip very easily... and the bottom of them get tore up very quickly. The only way to completely protect them is to install paint protection film on them. They can cover the entire rocker panel all the way under to the bolt pattern... offering maximum protection.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gaurds look ok but there is one problem with them. They will not completely protect the rocker panels as they cant wrap under. The rockers are made out of aluminum so they chip very easily... and the bottom of them get tore up very quickly. The only way to completely protect them is to install paint protection film on them. They can cover the entire rocker panel all the way under to the bolt pattern... offering maximum protection.

For the life of me I don't get why someone would opt for those over a clear bra install that's virtually invisible.

F

FrgMstr

For the life of me I don't get why someone would opt for those over a clear bra install that's virtually invisible.

I love mine. These offer all kinds of protection for the side of the car without having to worry about plastic sheets in this very high wear area of the car. These actually work very well in keeping road spray and moisture off the side of the car, like you think a "mud flap" might. These protect the entire side of the car from debris thrown up by the tires. Once mounted these are virtually "invisible" in that these blend with the look of the car and do not detract from it, at least with my color combination setup of red and black.

Maybe for the life of you, you can now understand a different point of you other than your own.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I love mine on my viper violet vert. I think they add to the look as opposed to looking like something that was an afterthought. Steve-Indy showed me his, and JonB fixed me up. And, as a fellow viper friend once told me...the only clear bra worth a damn, would be on a nice set of boobs.:lmao:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is coming from the guy who was just looking for a clear bra installer a couple of months ago????

No splash guard is "virtually invisible" and they do not protect the underside of the rocker panel. For you guys with the spalsh guards on reach up under the rockers and feel how bad they are chewed up. Being under the edge I guess it would be "virtually invisible" to some... but still there.

F

FrgMstr

Carbon Fiber is like crack to some people, they lose all reason.

I am with you on that. I think all this "CF" stuff is mostly a bit over the top. Composition had nothing to do with my decision to go with these. Utility, fit and finish were second to none with JonB's parts.

F

FrgMstr

This is coming from the guy who was just looking for a clear bra installer a couple of months ago????

No splash guard is "virtually invisible" and they do not protect the underside of the rocker panel. For you guys with the spalsh guards on reach up under the rockers and feel how bad they are chewed up. Being under the edge I guess it would be "virtually invisible" to some... but still there.

And I did have a clear bra put on the front fascia of the car.

It amazes me how many people will chime in on a product that they have ZERO first hand experience with. Enjoy your ignorance.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ignorance... wow. You do not know anything about me or what I do for a living so you might want to watch who you call ignorant. I am sure I have more "experience" than you when it comes to these types guards on the Viper or any other car for that matter. It doesnt take ANY experience to see that they are NOT invisible. They flare out from the fender well so much that they are easily seen. Sure they look good but to say they are invisible??? And they still do not protect the bottom of the rocker panels...

Last edited:
F

FrgMstr

Do you own the product? Have you used the product? Have you installed the product? If the answer is, "No," then you are ignorant of the product. Buy some use it, then give me your informed opinion. I think maybe you are ignorant of the definition of ignorance. Nothing personal was meant by the statement. So, please do not take it that way. And no, I do not care what you do for a living. If you don't like these, fine. I find it funny that people will spend so much time making references about a product they have not experienced first hand.

F

FrgMstr

:D I just realized that you are the guy that SELLS AND INSTALLS CLEAR BRA. I inquired with you about installing it on my car, and I asked around about your installation talent. I was warned off of using your service by three owners here in the area that had a bad experience with your product and/or your services. That is why you did not get my business. I used Invisibra in Carrollton and had a great experience.

Apparently you don't know what "ignorance" means nor do you have a clue about "conflict of interest," because you are not doing your business any good service by attacking a "competing" product. If you learn anything from this post, please learn to stand on your own two feet when it comes to selling your product. I have no respect for business owners that attack the competition rather than selling their own on its merits. I have been a small business owner for 14 years and speak from experience on these points.

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! You people do get wound up about a fairly benign subject. I am not a clear bra fan as you saw from my earlier post. My last car was an 05 yellow which based on the lighter color really showed the sill damage over time. My current car is dark, and after seeing Steve-Indy's multiple sets, I decided to do them myself. Maybe because my car is dark, or maybe because I have a CF front splitter that matches, I think it works for my car. It also has seemed to be very practical, as the intended function has seemed to work for me. I can see that they might not be for everyone, but they are, high quality pieces from Jon B, and to repeat, I don't like clear bra. Opinions are like you know what... Everyone has one.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what there is about clear bra not to like, especially on and under the sills where it is virtually invisible.
If you like the look of the mud flaps, fine but what is there NOT to like about clear bra?
I'm serious.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have flaps and clear bra. There is stuff thrown at the underside by tires that a clear bra will not protect but carbon fiber will stop in its tracks

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D I just realized that you are the guy that SELLS AND INSTALLS CLEAR BRA. I inquired with you about installing it on my car, and I asked around about your installation talent. I was warned off of using your service by three owners here in the area that had a bad experience with your product and/or your services. That is why you did not get my business. I used Invisibra in Carrollton and had a great experience.

Apparently you don't know what "ignorance" means nor do you have a clue about "conflict of interest," because you are not doing your business any good service by attacking a "competing" product. If you learn anything from this post, please learn to stand on your own two feet when it comes to selling your product. I have no respect for business owners that attack the competition rather than selling their own on its merits. I have been a small business owner for 14 years and speak from experience on these points.

Really? I would love for you to PM me with any possible complaints you have heard because I still keep in touch with all my clients and get repeat business sand referrels. So it must not be too bad. In fact as it was you ACTUALLY had already gone with Norm BEFORE I even contacted you. So I am not sure you knew to contact anyone about my services. You are free to do a search on here for HTP AutoWorks and see if there are any complaints... I am pretty sure you will find otherwise. By the way no offense about being called ignorant... you do not know me so no offense taken. As far as my experience with them I have helped friends install these types of guards on numerous vehicle types. I know a lot of people that have them on their Vipers... and they still get chips along the bottom of the rocker panels. As I posted above they will not protect the bottom on the rockers as they cant wrap under far enough to do so. This is a common issue with these types of guards... they are great at protecting the sides but not under neath as I stated.

Feel free to quote where I "attacked" these gaurds or the vendor providing them. I have dealt wit JonB before and he is great to work with... in fact he sets the bar as far as customer service goes. I think the guards look great for what they are... cant go wrong with carbon fiber... but they are not an end all solution. Ideally I would want both (and to apply film to the carbon fiber guards because they will get destroyed) but looking at about $1,000 total to protect the sides of the rockers is a little steep.

Last edited:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have flaps and clear bra. There is stuff thrown at the underside by tires that a clear bra will not protect but carbon fiber will stop in its tracks

This is good useable info, bringing us a little bit back on track. :) I have clear-bra coated front, sills, and "strike zones" behind the wheels... and when I'm picking up rubber during a track day I get these smudges that are difficult to remove without isopropanol or similar solvent. Which I worry will start to affect the clarity and/or adhesion of the plastic coating. Those same rubber smudges come off the paint easily... but jeez, they're nearly indelible on the clear bra material.

So I bought the CF rock guards. I think they look great; and the fronts fit. I'm having a tough time with the rear pieces, though... difficult to get flush to the body; I don't see how it's possible on my car without drilling new holes. Imperfect fit. I may try using a compressible "gasket" in the area that gaps slightly away from the body panel.

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understand your dismay:) your assuming I'm rational which is your first mistake!
I'll have both on I've found the tires on the Acr seem to throw rocks on the side of the doors
These would help avoid that. I agree about clear bra great stuff but it does dull the shine
And I would prefer to keep the doors braless (new word) for the shine.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is good useable info, bringing us a little bit back on track. :) I have clear-bra coated front, sills, and "strike zones" behind the wheels... and when I'm picking up rubber during a track day I get these smudges that are difficult to remove without isopropanol or similar solvent. Which I worry will start to affect the clarity and/or adhesion of the plastic coating. Those same rubber smudges come off the paint easily... but jeez, they're nearly indelible on the clear bra material.

So I bought the CF rock guards. I think they look great; and the fronts fit. I'm having a tough time with the rear pieces, though... difficult to get flush to the body; I don't see how it's possible on my car without drilling new holes. Imperfect fit. I may try using a compressible "gasket" in the area that gaps slightly away from the body panel.

We have had straight-on installs, and several reports of some rears being more difficult to install than the 5-minute fronts. If you watched "ULTIMATE FACTORIES" on CAAP, you saw Craftspersons leaning on and bending those rear quarters/fender liners. Body panel Fit varies.....the plastic panels bend and bow slightly, to mate with the fender-well screw holes. Their patience, slight manipulations, and yours will get those rears to fit.

F

FrgMstr

We have had straight-on installs, and several reports of some rears being more difficult to install than the 5-minute fronts. If you watched "ULTIMATE FACTORIES" on CAAP, you saw Craftspersons leaning on and bending those rear quarters/fender liners. Body panel Fit varies.....the plastic panels bend and bow slightly, to mate with the fender-well screw holes. Their patience, slight manipulations, and yours will get those rears to fit.

Mine required a bit of "man-handling" to force these to fit. End up the body panel conforms to the shape of the CF, which makes sense. In the end though, perfect fit. And attached without issue.